What's new

High end razors worth the hype?

Agree completely about design being more important than gap/exposure. The incredible Blackbird is Exhibit A.

These are things i dont need to know lol

I am super happy and content with the Timeless 0.95 SB, GC JAWS and R41. I truly do not have any need for any more razors but because its a wolf and i am on the list i just have to get this last razor.............

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
These are things i dont need to know lol

I am super happy and content with the Timeless 0.95 SB, GC JAWS and R41. I truly do not have any need for any more razors but because its a wolf and i am on the list i just have to get this last razor.............
‘Happy and content’ — sounds like you’re all set! FWIW, I PIF’d my R41 because the Blackbird is just as efficient but way more aesthetically and audibly pleasing. (But just ignore what I just said.)

not really.. its not that the materials themselves make a razor 'shave better' but more so the design of the razor and materials used. Stainless, is machined to better tolerances than you get with 'pot set' zamak, which would result in a better shave or should i say a more consistent shave of that model.

The design of the razor is also more important than gap exposure IMHO

finally a stainless steel razors will outlive cheaper zamak and look/feel better in the hand. So if you have the cash to splash, no reason not to go for it

Where did I mention zamak? I didn't. Regardless, realize that any razor is merely a blade holder. Nothing more, nothing less. The metal a razor is made from is utterly meaningless as regards the actual shave. Specs are specs. No design can cheat physics.

There is nothing inherently wrong in buying an expensive artisan "boutique" razor as it's your money. However, to assume that because of that mere fact that somehow it will inherently shave better is foolish. Then again, if you want to help some artisan maker pay for his kids' education then knock yourself out.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Capitalism at its finest.

1571794242938.gif

That’s only depends of you. I have both timeless, bronze and stainless, also à Rex, for my opinion they worth the money. I take great care, complete cleaning after every use. I have some merkur, and Rockwell, they don’t do same quality shaving. In the medium range I love my gc .84, and my slant wunderbar. One day I would like to get a wolfman. It’s only my 2cents! But if you have a 10 dollars razor and simply love it, don’t change!

Where did I mention zamak? I didn't. Regardless, realize that any razor is merely a blade holder. Nothing more, nothing less. The metal a razor is made from is utterly meaningless as regards the actual shave. Specs are specs. No design can cheat physics.

There is nothing inherently wrong in buying an expensive artisan "boutique" razor as it's your money. However, to assume that because of that mere fact that somehow it will inherently shave better is foolish. Then again, if you want to help some artisan maker pay for his kids' education then knock yourself out.

I would tend to agree.
I would just say that a razor is certainly not, to me, an item where I would say form over function. I love design, but it is not a determining factor in how a razor performs. Actually, I would say gap and exposure, along with balance are more important aspects of performance than the industrial design of the razor a piece of art

Last edited:
‘Happy and content’ — sounds like you’re all set! FWIW, I PIF’d my R41 because the Blackbird is just as efficient but way more aesthetically and audibly pleasing. (But just ignore what I just said.)

i cannot un-hear what i have just heard.. i just hope for my wallet this seed does not germinate

i agree with your comment that 'any razor is merely a blade holder' it certainly cant water your garden or use it as a form of transportation.

I totally disagree with your comment 'specs are specs and no design can cheat physics'. not sure what physics you are referring to cheating against? i am assuming you mean that design has no impact on shave quality? if so that is totally absurd. Why do you think companies spend big $$ on R&D on minimal changes?

I also want to point out i am not 'assuming' a boutique razor shaves better just because it is more expensive. I have had the experience of trying many razors both cheap and expensive and the ones i have left in my den are Timeless, JAWS and R41. A mix of all, but of those the Timeless is in a totally different league to the R41.

I think it would be safe to assume you have formed a strong opinion on this subject without any experience in 'boutique' razors. I felt the exact same way until i once tried a wolfman, then i understood.

i agree with your comment that 'any razor is merely a blade holder' it certainly cant water your garden or use it as a form of transportation.

I totally disagree with your comment 'specs are specs and no design can cheat physics'. not sure what physics you are referring to cheating against? i am assuming you mean that design has no impact on shave quality? if so that is totally absurd. Why do you think companies spend big $$ on R&D on minimal changes?

I also want to point out i am not 'assuming' a boutique razor shaves better just because it is more expensive. I have had the experience of trying many razors both cheap and expensive and the ones i have left in my den are Timeless, JAWS and R41. A mix of all, but of those the Timeless is in a totally different league to the R41.

I think it would be safe to assume you have formed a strong opinion on this subject without any experience in 'boutique' razors. I felt the exact same way until i once tried a wolfman, then i understood.

I don't think you're following along here with the logic, so I tap out.

Just remember the rule of diminishing returns.
The difference between a Weishi dollar razor and a 30 dollar Merkur will be huge. They both work, but you will notice a big difference.
The difference between a 30 dollar razor and a 50 dollar razor, might be more about details. Smoother plating, tighter tolerance, fancy materials.
Jumping from 50 to 100? Mostly going to expect design differences, fancy handles and designer names.
Over a hundred you can expect a great and quality razor, but I wouldn't expect any noticeable difference in your shave.

There may have been some confusion when you mentioned "design" being more important than spec. I took it that way as well. Granted, one could argue that specs are part of the design . However, usually when people separate design from specs it it's more along the lines of the aesthetic appeal
For example someone could design an absolutely beautiful gorgeous razor to behold. But if it doesn't perform, then it's just a pretty paper weight.

Just remember the rule of diminishing returns.
The difference between a Weishi dollar razor and a 30 dollar Merkur will be huge. They both work, but you will notice a big difference.
The difference between a 30 dollar razor and a 50 dollar razor, might be more about details. Smoother plating, tighter tolerance, fancy materials.
Jumping from 50 to 100? Mostly going to expect design differences, fancy handles and designer names.
Over a hundred you can expect a great and quality razor, but I wouldn't expect any noticeable difference in your shave.
actually the weishi razors I have dealt with have better design, plating, then merkur razors.

Ironically the low cost wieshi shaves BETTER for ME then a merkur can. Head shape on merkur sucks. Its like trying to get a low cost suv by using a standard super duty pickup cab, but just putting in a 4 cylinder engine instead.

I went into this knowing I wanted a solid non-coated metal razor. I also knew that my OCD would never allow for a polished version of whatever metal I ended up with so that narrowed down the list as well. I then considered the weight and hardness of the material in question. After looking closely at all of the brass, copper, bronze, SS, Titanium options I ended up splurging on a scratch and dent Timeless Ti .95. Virtually rust proof, very hard and quite lite and maneuverable. If I had to do all over I may look at the GC 84 for less than half the $$ but probably not.

I went into this knowing I wanted a solid non-coated metal razor. I also knew that my OCD would never allow for a polished version of whatever metal I ended up with so that narrowed down the list as well. I then considered the weight and hardness of the material in question. After looking closely at all of the brass, copper, bronze, SS, Titanium options I ended up splurging on a scratch and dent Timeless Ti .95. Virtually rust proof, very hard and quite lite and maneuverable. If I had to do all over I may look at the GC 84 for less than half the $$ but probably not.
Well, it's good to know the scratch and dent razor didn't set off your OCD. I may go that route🌞

Raven Koenes

My precious!
I find a $25 dollar Fatip a joy to use. It is smooth and efficient and takes me to where I want to go with minimal effort. It's brass and will out last me. For me I have that much figured out. Everyone is different. I'm with @Chan Eil Whiskers that buying a more expensive razor can be a crap shoot. I hear some folks talking about shimming a very expensive razor, and I think after all that money you're still shimming it? I never thought about shimming a Fatip not even once. It doesn't need it. If I was looking for a high end razor I'd look at two things even over gap; blade rigidity and blade exposure.

Blade Rigidity examples and explanation:

Esox said:
Its my belief, as well as a few others, that razors should clamp the blade equally from above and below, like a vise, as close to the edge as possible.

Chris Kirchen, the designer and maker of the Karve razor thinks much the same.

I dont believe its that widely known or understood but thats changing, especially with Chris Kirchen of Karve. He said this in an AMA on Reddit;

"The geometry came from a bunch of research to familiarize myself with how razors are configured and then creating analogies between how a blade is configured and real world applications. The one I'm most proud of (because I saw an immediate improvement), was to support the blade as much as possible as a way of eliminating chatter). All razors support the blade on the top side with the top cap, but chatter comes from cyclical loading...force, no force, force, no force, etc. The unloading comes from loading the blade during cutting, but then something gives (such as the whisker that is being cut) and the blade unloads for a split second. The top cap can only help with the loading, so the baseplate has to work together with it."

Last edited:
Well, it's good to know the scratch and dent razor didn't set off your OCD. I may go that route🌞
The unpolished Ti I received was flawless but the matte finish may be less aesthetically pleasing to most. It is built like a tank though and no micro scratches to be had thus no OCD tendencies are provoked. In fact most times I just blow off the moisture and stick in my parker travel case and into my dopp bag. I've never seen any indication of rust or corrosion, and only take it apart when I change blades. I use it every day and really don't even consider another razor purchase even though I have multiple brushes and soaps.

Last edited:
Very interesting comments here. Some guys have me thinking why i purchased the timeless Ti....

And some guys have me thinking “fk it,buy premium if you want premium”” lol...

I will see how the razor performs today. If its just as most razors then i think i will opt for a game changer .84.

Top Bottom