What's new

High end razor recommendations

Looking to spoil myself by splurging in a higher end razor

To give you an idea in my taste - I currently have a selection of vintage Gillette’s (red, flare, blue tips, slim, techs), Edwin Jagger DE89, and Razorock GC 68. My favorite by far is the game changer. It seems to me it has a bit more blade feel and it’s much easier to find the right angle to shave with (I struggle with this on other razors). I also really enjoy the smaller cap that’s easy to get under my nose.

I wouldn’t mind maybe getting something a tad more aggressive or preferably even adjustable! I’d definitely like to keep it a high quality material. I’ve done a bit of homework - and I’ve been considering possibly a REX Ambassador, Blackland Blackbird, or Timeless Stainless or Titanium

This forum has toooons of experts, so I figured it wouldn’t hurt to ask! What are your thoughts as I look to splurge and feed my RAD?:cool: Please feel free to tell me your favorites and why!

And just because pictures are fun, here’s my shave of the day
65230DE6-F02B-4EC5-A363-D937E4A48CA8.jpeg

I'm like you in that I have several vintage razors that are excellent but wanted to venture out.
I ordered a KARVE with B and C plates.
Now I actually use BOTH the Gamechanger .68 for one shave.
First pass with Game Changer and second with Karve B.
Love both.

I have a 1961 Gillette Fatboy and love it. I a few chrome razors Merkur 34c HD, Muhle R108, WSP El Grande 2 OC (this was sent to me by mistake). But, I have two high-end SS DE razors. The Tatara Masamune razor is by far my favorite. I also have a REX Envoy. They are beautiful and very well made but for the life of me the Envoy and I just do not get along. I've tried different blades and what have you. I guess that is the way it goes sometimes.

I have the Karve brass and stainless with the c and d plates and a Wolfman WR2 SB with a 1.05 mm gap. Any of those products would be ideal. The wait for the Wolfman can be a long time so you may want to get the Karve.

Karve D plate and Treet Plat.jpg

Wolfman and Med Prep.jpg

I have been waffling on this very subject for two weeks. I wanted a stainless steel razor so that I would have something that I would enjoy using, yet would also be a heritage piece to hand down to future generations. After much research I compromised between price and refined finish and settled on a Rockwell 6S. It should be here on Tuesday.

Never had a wolfman, but maybe some day. Rex ambassador is a really nice razor. Many fans of the timeless razors here too. Good luck!

I'm like you in that I have several vintage razors that are excellent but wanted to venture out.
I ordered a KARVE with B and C plates.
Now I actually use BOTH the Gamechanger .68 for one shave.
First pass with Game Changer and second with Karve B.
Love both.
How easy it to find the blade angle on the Karve compared to your GC? I think that’s my biggest concern

My recommendation for you, given your preferences, is a Wolfman WR2 SB with blade gap of either 1.15 or 1.25. Crazy smooth AND efficient.

If you want a bit more blade feel and the most unique shaver ever created — get a Blackbird.
I had looked at these but was overwhelmed with the choices, so I really appreciate you making a specific recommendation! What’s the lead time on the wolfman looking like? I see a lot of people posting about being on the wait list.

Blackbird. It’s an awesome razor, more blade feel but you said you wanted that, smaller head, SS, awesome shave.

It’s an incredible razor and well worth the money. I went thru almost everything you’re considering and sold them all when I got the Blackland. It’s been my #1 for about 7-8 months.

I have a few in rotation, including a Futur, a Rex Envoy and a Schick L type and those are all great, but the Blackbird stands above them and for good reason.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Currently available "High End" razors?

All of the following are wonderful shavers and are part of my rotation:
Charcoal Goods Level 2
Blackland Blackbird SB
Timeless Ti 0.68-SB
Karve C-SB
Plisson Joris
RazoRock DLC Lupo

If you want to save a bunch of money, try a Fatip Grande. :)

If you are willing to consider a Single Edge razor, please check out a Blackland Sabre. :)

Out of the ones you mentioned, I have only used the Timeless. It was a .68 Open Comb. It shaves great. Shave wise, it held it's own against a Wolfman WR1 SB (standard gap). I had both at the same time and did a little shave off experiment using both razors. However the head on the Timless is big. Since you like the smaller cap of the GC, you might not like the Timeless.

Top Bottom