What's new

High-End Razor or Brush?

I have far too many soaps, which may be because I never had a desire to collect a ton of brushes or razors. I really enjoy the uniqueness of each scent and performance, and they are all reasonably priced in the grand scheme of things. I'm currently using a RR Game Changer .86 razor and a Fine Stout synthetic or Semogue SOC boar. Gave my brother my Merkur 37c Slant when I convinced him wet shaving was the way to go, and in the past half a Merkur Futur.

For a while I've wanted to go high-end on a brush or razor. In my opinion, I'd rather spend the money up front and get something nice, as opposed to incrementally spending the money until you end up buying it down the road anyway. I'm not big on neon colors that seem to be the rage with brush handles these days, but occasionally see artisans put out some vintage handles I like. Call it being lazy, but not interested in being on a waiting list for months to acquire unless I'm convinced it's worth the wait. Still, the Fine Stout isnt a very pretty synthetic and not the most ergonomic handle. There must be a big gap between this brush and other synthetics or badger hair brushes out there, right?....right? My only other experience with a badger brush was from a 2008 B&B group buy, which tells me it's a Finest Badger Hair Brush. Certainly the badgers coming out now will also be much better. At least that's what I keep telling myself.

The RR Game Changer seems to be doing a good enough job for the price, considering it's 75% cheaper than the others I'm considering. I sometimes wonder if the jaw and jaw line would clean up easier with a more high-end razor that's more aggressive. An OC is probably what I'd like to use next. I spend so much time debating between the manufacturers I just don't pull the trigger, and then congratulate myself for saving $250, only to restart the cycle.

I guess my question for everyone is this: if I'm going to spend the dough on a high end brush (Brad Sears, M&F, Simpson, Paladin, etc.) or razor (Blackland, Timeless, Karve, Charcoal Goods, etc.), where do you think the money would be better spent?

For Razors Wolfman WR2 is about as good as it gets.

For Brushes Black Eagle, Varlet and Mozingo ZT hand tied knots are what I use as I've found nothing better.

The razor will arguably have a bigger impact on the outcome of you shave. It will also probably last longer than a brush. The Timeless razors are tough to beat for the money if you like the styling.

For Razors Wolfman WR2 is about as good as it gets.

For Brushes Black Eagle, Varlet and Mozingo ZT hand tied knots are what I use as I've found nothing better.
Wolfman's look beautiful, but one that I assume is unobtanium unless I want to jump through some hoops. The Blackland Tradere looks like a front runner at the moment. Thanks for the input on brushes I'll be looking into.

I usually stick to $60-100 range razor and brushes because I can get great products but if I were to choose, I'd go with the razor.

Razor is more for the functionality while brushes are for feel/experience. $10 synthetic will perform as well as any brush out there but it's not gonna look/feel as nice. I feel that high-end razors do hold their value for their performance/material though.

The razor may be used every day, the brush you should rotate with another brush or two, at least. I suggest getting a high-end razor if you're getting just one item. Blackland is a wonderful razor that is able to be purchased with no wait, or limited wait time. Timeless is also very nice. Shave & Haircut Co. is making a gorgeous razor that shaves as good as it looks. Wolfman is at the top of the list, but the waitlist is a long time. And one more razor to throw in the mix, Timeless, very well made & very good shaver. Consider the Titanium if you go with Timeless.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
I have far too many soaps, which may be because I never had a desire to collect a ton of brushes or razors. I really enjoy the uniqueness of each scent and performance, and they are all reasonably priced in the grand scheme of things. I'm currently using a RR Game Changer .86 razor and a Fine Stout synthetic or Semogue SOC boar. Gave my brother my Merkur 37c Slant when I convinced him wet shaving was the way to go, and in the past half a Merkur Futur.

For a while I've wanted to go high-end on a brush or razor. In my opinion, I'd rather spend the money up front and get something nice, as opposed to incrementally spending the money until you end up buying it down the road anyway. I'm not big on neon colors that seem to be the rage with brush handles these days, but occasionally see artisans put out some vintage handles I like. Call it being lazy, but not interested in being on a waiting list for months to acquire unless I'm convinced it's worth the wait. Still, the Fine Stout isnt a very pretty synthetic and not the most ergonomic handle. There must be a big gap between this brush and other synthetics or badger hair brushes out there, right?....right? My only other experience with a badger brush was from a 2008 B&B group buy, which tells me it's a Finest Badger Hair Brush. Certainly the badgers coming out now will also be much better. At least that's what I keep telling myself.

The RR Game Changer seems to be doing a good enough job for the price, considering it's 75% cheaper than the others I'm considering. I sometimes wonder if the jaw and jaw line would clean up easier with a more high-end razor that's more aggressive. An OC is probably what I'd like to use next. I spend so much time debating between the manufacturers I just don't pull the trigger, and then congratulate myself for saving $250, only to restart the cycle.

I guess my question for everyone is this: if I'm going to spend the dough on a high end brush (Brad Sears, M&F, Simpson, Paladin, etc.) or razor (Blackland, Timeless, Karve, Charcoal Goods, etc.), where do you think the money would be better spent?

If you want an efficient high end DE razor, the Blackland Blackbird is an outstanding choice.

I don't yet have a Tradere so am unable to compare it to the Blackbird.

I enjoy using high end razors and brushes, and own far more than I can easily justify, but I don't believe they have a significant impact on the quality of my shaves. There are some really good economically priced items around and the differences between them and my Timeless, Blackland, Colonial etc razors and M&F, Thater, Shavemac etc brushes really are very marginal. Mostly, the high end gear is just a tiny bit nicer to hold and look at.

I'm going through the same thing right now. Done with SAD, now I have RAD and BAD.
I've bought several razors now...
And several brushes and going after a few more.

I have to Echo what @dmshaver said.
If you're only going to get one, go with a razor. Blackland, Timeless, and a few other top end razor brands have a 30 day return policies if you don't love it.

With Brushes, I've realized that you have to sometimes wait days in between for them to dry, especially the thick and dense knots that are with the higher end ones (I realized this after I bought my first Simpsons Chubby 2). So might as well own several brushes that are cheaper, plus brushes are consumables and if you use them enough the hairs will come off.

Razors are meant to outlive you.

EDIT: @Ringer I just noticed your screen name on here is very similar to mine...

Reactions: bjm
Of the brands you mentioned I would suggest a brush. Either Paladin or M&F Finest.

The GC is a good razor, enjoyed by many here. I am not a fan of synthetic shave brushes. I would replace the brush. There are members that do enjoy synthetics.

If you decide to buy a razor, the Timeless is a great choice. I found the head design to be a little bulky, but the shaves were great.

Reactions: bjm
The classic B&B answer is, ‘Buy both!” In the overall scheme of things this is still far more reasonable than purchasing a high-end fly rod, sports car, shot-gun or many other options.

If you went for, ‘just the one,’ then I suggest a razor as you can use that every day. My personal favorite would be a Wolfman WR1 (my ‘daily driver’ and a daily pleasure to use)!

If you go for a brush, then I suggest speaking with Rudy Vey (a B&B member who does outstanding work). My personal preference would be one of his 2-band badgers!

The main thing is to pick some kit that you will use and enjoy!! :a29: :a29:

Wolfman's look beautiful, but one that I assume is unobtanium unless I want to jump through some hoops. The Blackland Tradere looks like a front runner at the moment. Thanks for the input on brushes I'll be looking into.

Sorry to list a bunch of unobtanium but they are worth getting a hold of if you can. The Black Eagle brushes are just about impossible to get. The Varlet ones are available now due to a massive price increase by the vendor, but they are crazy expensive (think $500 plus for a brush expensive). The Mozingo ZT ones are available and much more reasonably priced for a hand made brush with a hand tied knot. I'd highly recommend them if you go the brush route and your budget allows something like this.

In terms of razors you jump on the Wolfman wait list or pay premium on the BST and get it now. Others I'd consider would be Blackland and Timeless. The Raw Shaving RS-10 is exceptional but you have to get that one second hand as they closed up shop.

I had a custom made Badger Brush made with Amboyna Burl wood. It cost me $150 for it. Then a member here restored my Henckles Straight Edge razor for $150.

I stumbled on the Henckles blade at a auction house down in the Southwest corner of Iowa just off I-29. I didn’t know I picked a excellent blade company. I saw their shop in Vienna near St Christophers Cathedral...a gothic church.

Last edited:
In terms of what to upgrade first goes... I tried a bunch of razors first and found what I liked before doing the same with brushes.

This is the order I did things in as it seemed to give me the most improvement for the dollar at each interval.
Cheap razor>>Cheap soaps>> blades>> Better razor handle>> Better soaps>> Better razor>> Better Brush

Blades can perform better or worst depending on what razor you're using them with. So you have to evaluate what you use blade wise whenever you change razors.

My most expensive razors are a couple of Merkers but I never use them anymore. The razor I use every day is a FAt Boy. As to brushes, when I started I got Vulfix brush to start but it was too floppy for my taste. I ended up with two Simpsons, a Shavemac and a QED (which I believe was made by Shavemac). I have been using all of them for a decade, almost never rotate them and only occasionally lose a hair. I clean them with Borax once or twice a year to get the gunk out of them, but they work fine and have held up beautifully. I can see why people buy expensive razors and brushes for aesthetic reasons or just because they are acquisitive, but I think one can get a great shave with mid range gear.

Like the OP, I am more likely to go to the high end for soap and fragrance, but even there I cannot justify to myself a $200+ bottle of Creed. I think Penhaligon is as high as I have gone.

Likely razor - metal/polishing/finishing/ technical specification requirement involve higher price. Likely last beyond your life considering with a lifetime of uses compared to a vintage brush.
Brush - knot quality and handle crafting (anything else - not sure).
I go spend the extra $$$ on razor.

I feel it is good to have one high end razor for a special shave on certain special days, but more than that you should have a daily razor you can blindly rely on and get your hands set with the same. Best possibility is if both of them coincide into one single razor. My daily go to razor is an Edwin Jägger 89DE with which I can get comfortable shave even with closed eyes!! Yet I do posses Merkur, Parker and look forward to possessing a Wolfman (difficult to get fancy razors in India due to huge import and shipping cost).
Coming to brush I Would recommend to first decide the kind of brush you would like to use (badger, boar or synthetic) and then with the several amazing reviews available of each of the kind choose one with a good backbone yet soft on skin. My personal favourite are the synthetic ones with tuxedo knot that offer enough backbone for a bowl lathering yet are very soft on skin. Similar to razors if you are an enthusiast you may collect different kinds of brush that may vary on the handle finish (classics wooden, imitation ebony/tortoise shell/ivory, porcelain etc.)
Crux of the matter is it is wise to have a go to brush and razor before looking for alternatives!

The razor design and shave outcome of a mid cost DE89 compared to Very Expensive probably isn't that different, laws of diminishing returns will apply.
In spending more your getting something marketed as an enthusiast product with limited sellers and higher markup:
Hand forged by Nordic blacksmiths, inspired by alien technology, hand polished by virgins in Japan etc to keep cost inflated and desirability high.
The notion of something being heirloom quality is another marketing ploy to make you feel more responsible for your splurge, like your adding an asset to your portfolio.

All these concepts apply to photography, wine, guitars, audio etc.

The water is fine, come on in.

Top Bottom