What's new

High-end mild razor

Another nod to the Timeless .68, but I’d add that you can feel free to choose between solid, scalloped, and OC plates without peril. I’ve used them all and there’s zero difference in aggression. If anything, the OC (which I settled on) feels best because it leaves a lot of soap behind each pass.

8CF9C9BB-3C72-40D1-8193-92353C1C2D27.jpeg

I have a Karve SS and my favorite plate is SB-A. It is the first SB plate with negative exposure. The B plate felt harsh for me so I sold it.

I only kept the SB-A and SB-AA plates -- the A plate I use the most, but the AA is kept around for those <24-hour shaves.

I like mild DE shaves with little blade feel. Vintage Gillettes felt harsh. Even the Merkur 34C has a tad more blade feel than I would like.

Hope this data point helps your decision.

(I've considered the Tatara Masamune, but I felt it would be a lateral move from the Karve SB-A. The only other razor of interest at the moment is a 0.95mm WR2).

The tatars masamune, feather asd2, the pils and fatip piccolo SE with the gentile plate. Of these my favorite is the tatara that is the nearest thing to a perfect razor to me. I would also include the paradigm diamondback except that is not a readily available razor anymore.

I have Tatara in the mail, no shave with it so far.
But Karve with plate B ( Zero blade exposure) is a safe bet. I used this razor everyday for last 2 months, and it is very smooth. You can go to plate A, but I have no experience with it.

ERS4

My exploding razor knows secrets
Feather as-d2 / PILS / Timeless ti 68──absolutely beautiful

Razorock mamba 53──Model students added to the list

I had made my Timeless Titanium 0.68 SB my everyday never need another razor and can heartily recommend it.

Today I had my first shave with my new Blackland Tradere SB and after one shave have a great feeling about this razor. I think it is likely that it will become my everyday never need another razor.

For reference, I am a daily shaver with an average light and gray beard.

Yet another vote for the Pils or the Blackland Tradere.

If you want to spend less money and still have a nice mild razor you could consider the Mamba 70.

I would also throw in Feather AS-D2 to match the other wonderful options you mentioned.

Agreed. Because it isn’t new or made by an artisan, it often gets left out. The shave is sublime. And it looks great and feels perfectly balanced in the hand. One of my favorite razors of any style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Agreed. Because it isn’t new or made by an artisan, it often gets left out. The shave is sublime. And it looks great and feels perfectly balanced in the hand. One of my favorite razors of any style.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Just used the feather today and it was a perfect smooth and effective shave.

Hmm...high end, mild razor. Depending on your definition of high end, I agree with the suggestions of Feather AS-D2, Timeless Ti .68, Rockwell 6S, and Karve with A, B and C plates. Another remarkable razor is the Paradigm 2020 Diamondback but that is not readily available. I have all of these and am of the opinion that all would satisfy your needs. I also suggest you take a look at the Razorock offerings which have high end quality with a lower price point e.g. Game Changer .68.

Last edited:
Another vote here for a Timeless in the .68 variety. Mine is a titanium with scalloped base plate and top cap. I don't think you can go wrong with any .68 Timeless though.

I've been shaving daily with mine for about a month now and haven't had any issues with irritation in the neck area, which is my sensitive spot.

Top Bottom