What's new

WTB High End 7 Day Set

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Looking for a 7 day set of razors, preferably high end vintage in good condition. Let me know if you have anything!
I have five M7DS's but none of them are "vintage". All are of modern (currently made) SR's that I purchased and then put them together as M7DS's each with a custom-made timber case and I had them hand engraved.

Vintage sets do become available sometimes but it can be difficult to determine if they are all in good condition. That was one of the reasons that I had so I decided on modern SR's. Thiers-Issard SR's can be purchased as a M7DS for about USD 2,500 to USD 3,500. There is normally a 3 to 4 month lead time on their M7DS's. I am not a great fan of Thiers-Issard SR's so didn't go down that path.

I have five M7DS's but none of them are "vintage". All are of modern (currently made) SR's that I purchased and then put them together as M7DS's each with a custom-made timber case and I had them hand engraved.

Vintage sets do become available sometimes but it can be difficult to determine if they are all in good condition. That was one of the reasons that I had so I decided on modern SR's. Thiers-Issard SR's can be purchased as a M7DS for about USD 2,500 to USD 3,500. There is normally a 3 to 4 month lead time on their M7DS's. I am not a great fan of Thiers-Issard SR's so didn't go down that path.
Very good info, thank you for taking the time to share. I am not as familiar with current razor makers as I am with vintage stuff, are there any brands you would recommend I do some more research into?

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Thiers Issard are the only current SR manufacturers that Iknow of who market readymade M7DS's. The other option for a modern M7DS is to put your own set together.

To put your own modern M7DS together, I suggest the following:
  • Decide on a modern SR that you think may be acceptable to you and buy one.
  • If that SR meets your requirements, buy another six. If not, try again. (You should be able to sell/PIF the unsuitable SR.)
  • Obtain a suitable case for you set. If you want a custom made timber case, I can design one for you for free. You can then have it made in the US or elsewhere. In the Philippines, the cost is about USD 50.
  • Have the spines of you M7DS SR's engraved (not etched). Here I can guide you. In the Philippines, engraving costs about USD 8 per SR.
Here is one of my M7DS's. This is my English set.

Display.JPG
Here is the quality of the engraving on the spine that I get done. Each letter is about 2.5mm in height. This engraving was done by hand, not a laser engraving machine. Most laser engraving machines will not do a satisfactory job on a heavily curved surface unless the laser has dynamic auto-focusing (not common).

Engraving.JPG
Here is a set I put together of Chinese SR's. The engraving was again done by hand but this time in Chinese characters 2.5mm in height.

Display.JPG

Engraving.JPG

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
Very good info, thank you for taking the time to share. I am not as familiar with current razor makers as I am with vintage stuff, are there any brands you would recommend I do some more research into?
To get recommendations on current manufacturers of SR's, post in the Straight Razor>General Discussion section. Let them know your preferred:
  • Blade material (high carbon steel or stainless steel)
  • Blade size (4/8, 5/8, 6/8, 7/8, etc.)
  • Point type (Dutch, French, Spanish, square, slant, etc.)
  • Grind (wedge, 1/4 hollow, 1/2 hollow, full hollow, extra hollow, etc.)
  • Scales material
  • Budget per SR

Here I thought 2.5k was high and next is one at 5k. He is asking more per razor than I paid for a truly NOS never used MK33 in tortoise. Oh well. The market dictates prices who am I to argue.

1D6654B5-0E9E-43C9-B069-839ABCD136C7.jpeg

$20 for 7 identical vs v $24 (including engraving/etching & leather case). Sounds like todays pricing seems slightly off for current retail.

The vintage stuff is hit or miss in condition and price.

If you want more control (custom) you could contact Koraat and have hime make you 7 identical razors. On his website you can add the options you like and it gives you a total. Yoi can get a very nice razor for $400 (they start much lower).

I have no experience using eBay internationally, does it work the same as it does in the US, or are there some special procedures that I'll need to follow?

Wacker makes 7day sets.

a 5/8, 6/8, and 7/8s but all very different.

Those look awesome, definitely near the top of my list if I cant find a good quality vintage set.

This looks like the kind of thing I am looking for. Sent the guy a message on Reddit, waiting to see how willing he is to negotiate.

This doesn’t look too bad. Check them out. You haven’t given specifications for the razors you are looking for as in scale material, blade size, country of manufacture...

These look quite nice as well, definitely will be keeping an eye on this set. Main reason I didn't add more specifics to the post is that I am pretty open to a variety of things, and wanted to see what caught my eye. I'll probably end up doing two sets seeing all of the great results in this thread. Ideally I'll find one set in near mint condition for when I really have the time to appreciate the experience, and another slightly more affordable set for daily use.

If you want more control (custom) you could contact Koraat and have hime make you 7 identical razors. On his website you can add the options you like and it gives you a total. Yoi can get a very nice razor for $400 (they start much lower).

Thanks! I'll have to look into this as well if i go the modern manufacturer root.

I have no experience using eBay internationally, does it work the same as it does in the US, or are there some special procedures that I'll need to follow?
And I wouldn't know how does it work in the US:welcoming: but I suppose it's pretty much the same as anywhere else: if the guy quoted a postage price it means he can send it to your country, and you only have to be aware of the possibility you'll be asked to pay import tax and/or your local VAT upon receiving the package - depending on your state's regulations regarding this particular kind of merchandise.

Over few hundreds international buying I paid tax once for something not shaving related more than 10 years ago and the price was still cheaper import taxes included.

Those look awesome, definitely near the top of my list if I cant find a good quality vintage set.

This looks like the kind of thing I am looking for. Sent the guy a message on Reddit, waiting to see how willing he is to negotiate.

These look quite nice as well, definitely will be keeping an eye on this set. Main reason I didn't add more specifics to the post is that I am pretty open to a variety of things, and wanted to see what caught my eye. I'll probably end up doing two sets seeing all of the great results in this thread. Ideally I'll find one set in near mint condition for when I really have the time to appreciate the experience, and another slightly more affordable set for daily use.

Thanks! I'll have to look into this as well if i go the modern manufacturer root.
You can pay with PayPal or credit card. If using PayPal, when you pay your invoice it will automatically pay in euros. They handle the conversion rate. PayPal will put in their conversion fee and let you know the total before you pay.

I used a credit card. My CC also took care of the conversion and added a few. The price was about $10 cheaper when I used my CC instead of PayPal. Its really not that complicated. The CC or PayPal handles the conversion for you.

I understand. Those razors are not mint, but the scales are either bone or ivory... Good luck with your search. Might be cheaper to contact one of the manufacturers such as Koraat or Ralf Aust as suggested in a previous post. You can even buy identical blades from Revisor and then have someone etch the days on the spines...

Here I thought 2.5k was high and next is one at 5k. He is asking more per razor than I paid for a truly NOS never used MK33 in tortoise. Oh well. The market dictates prices who am I to argue.
You have a NOS MK33 in tortoise? We need to talk. I may be able to help you with your set.

Top Bottom