What's new

High density badger lathering

Does anyone have any advice for face lathering with these high density badger knots?
It seems to work if i start with a wetter brush, but not all soaps like that.
The first pass is usually ok, but for the second pass the brush seems to hold on to the lather. This is 26mm. I do just fine with other brushes with this size. It just seems like there is to much hair packed in. It is fine for bowl lathering, and i like the back bone. It also takes a long time to dry.

1631270019625.png

I have a Simpsons Chubby 3 in Best Badger.

Welcome to the experience 😂

On a serious note -

I start with pinching and flicking water from the brush and loading with light pressure for more than 45 seconds.

Start with damp brush and load heavy.

Loading heavy is the only way my Chubby 3 gives back lather for second pass, otherwise it will move towards the base of the knot.

I do face lathering and it is a wonderful experience IF IT WORKS, otherwise it will kill the mood for shaving.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
Does anyone have any advice for face lathering with these high density badger knots?
The first pass is usually ok, but for the second pass the brush seems to hold on to the lather. This is 26mm. I do just fine with other brushes with this size. It just seems like there is to much hair packed in. It is fine for bowl lathering, and i like the back bone. It also takes a long time to dry.

View attachment 1325771
Quite simply — you need to load more soap. Brushes like these are soap eaters. We know that going in. But it just gives us a reason (and excuse) to buy more soap!

These brushes need a lot of soap (just the nature of the beast), plus a lot of water. You are trying to get a soap paste to start your face lathering with. If you add too much water at the very start, you may get bubbly proto-lather that does not come together well.You may want to try adding water gradually in stages, as you are loading the soap. Try holding the soap puck over top of the brush and load your soap upside-down.

These brushes need a lot of soap (just the nature of the beast), plus a lot of water. You are trying to get a soap paste to start your face lathering with. If you add too much water at the very start, you may get bubbly proto-lather that does not come together well.You may want to try adding water gradually in stages, as you are loading the soap. Try holding the soap puck over top of the brush and load your soap upside-down.
For me i think more soap is the way to go. I do load with a damp brush, but probably not enough. A & E soaps seem to be easier to use then some other soaps with this brush. Maybe it is just because it is softer, or that it can take allot of water.
I used it with a SV soap today, and the lather seem to get to runny. I do not have that problem with A & E.

For me i think more soap is the way to go. I do load with a damp brush, but probably not enough. A & E soaps seem to be easier to use then some other soaps with this brush. Maybe it is just because it is softer, or that it can take allot of water.
I used it with a SV soap today, and the lather seem to get to runny. I do not have that problem with A & E.
Softer soaps like A&E already contain quite a lot of water, making things a bit easier. With a hard soap like SV, you have to manage the water a little more closely. This is where adding water in stages while loading can help. You don't need a lot of pressure on the brush with hard soaps, just use very gradual pressure, but load for a longer time.

Truer words have never been spoken. To the letter!

Reactions: JPO
It's all been pretty much said. There are many valid tips, but honestly the largest one is you need to use more product normally, and even then squeezing the knot down to get the lather to the tips and then using as light as possible motions is what's going to help the most. Practicing with such brushes does make it easier.

Quite simply — you need to load more soap. Brushes like these are soap eaters. We know that going in. But it just gives us a reason (and excuse) to buy more soap!
Thank you Dan, you are a true enabler!

I've been eyeing that CH3 for some time now and if I go back to badger (from synthetic) it's gonna be 3 things:

Simpson
Silver tip (aka super)
Dense, as the dense gets

And I have so much soap, I'd like to be able to use up a 200g pack of MdC in about a month's time of shaving. Naturally, so I can convince myself I need to get another jar of MdC 😁😂

My only true dilemma is CH2 Vs. CH3. (I'm not getting both!)

It's all been pretty much said. There are many valid tips, but honestly the largest one is you need to use more product normally, and even then squeezing the knot down to get the lather to the tips and then using as light as possible motions is what's going to help the most. Practicing with such brushes does make it easier.
I will use it exclusively for a few weeks, taking some of the tips into account. The problem is that when you have choices it is easy to pick up one of your go to brushes. The problem is that has been some synthetic brushes. Nothing wrong with that, but for me there is just something that is not right for me about that:) They are just to easy to work with. It is like being married to someone who always say yes:)

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.

I've been eyeing that CH3 for some time now and if I go back to badger (from synthetic) it's gonna be 3 things:

Simpson
Silver tip (aka super)
Dense, as the dense gets

And I have so much soap, I'd like to be able to use up a 200g pack of MdC in about a month's time of shaving. Naturally, so I can convince myself I need to get another jar of MdC 😁😂

Simpson
Silver tip (aka super)
Dense, as the dense gets

1631276978785.gif

I have a Simpsons Chubby 3 in Best Badger.

Welcome to the experience 😂

On a serious note -

I start with pinching and flicking water from the brush and loading with light pressure for more than 45 seconds.

Start with damp brush and load heavy.

Loading heavy is the only way my Chubby 3 gives back lather for second pass, otherwise it will move towards the base of the knot.

I do face lathering and it is a wonderful experience IF IT WORKS, otherwise it will kill the mood for shaving.
I'd love to see a pic, with the knot splayed against a regular size soap puck/jar. This would tell me how big it is and how it'd do on my face. I'd be obliged if you'd upload a pic like that.

I'd love to see a pic, with the knot splayed against a regular size soap puck/jar. This would tell me how big it is and how it'd do on my face. I'd be obliged if you'd upload a pic like that.

Check this out from our fellow member @drydown \/

@Fabi , thx, again! 🌞

Here's a slightly different set-up and this time it was the Windsor SSH1 with a copper base that miraculously managed to slip into the scene.

Yeah, Tabac is Champions League! My favourite soap is MWF, but almost everyone knows Tabac and I wanted to show the size of the Chubby 3 Super so I placed it on the lid from the Tabac bowl. :001_smile

View attachment 1240796

Check this out from our fellow member @drydown \/
This exceeded anything I'd have even thought of doing, thank you very much for this eye candy :001_wub:

Also if I can recommend then anybody looking among the Chubby series in Badger, I'd wholeheartedly recommend Chubby 2 in whichever Badger you choose.

Chubby 3 for face lathering is an experience worth having but it takes 3 days to dry and just for face lathering it is a bit too much IMO.

Last edited:

View attachment 1325771
What is the loft measurement please?

This exceeded anything I'd have even thought of doing, thank you very much for this eye candy :001_wub:

Also if I can recommend then anybody looking among the Chubby series in Badger, I'd wholeheartedly recommend Chubby 2 in whichever Badger you choose.

Chubby 3 for face lathering is an experience worth having but it takes 3 days to dry and just for face lathering it is a bit too much IMO.

The Chubby 3 is indeed an experience. People don't think it can be much larger than the Chubby 2, but it is.

The Chubby 3 is indeed an experience. People don't think it can be much larger than the Chubby 2, but it is.
I have an Frank Shaving 28 mm, high mountain, which is fine for face lathering for me. I think it has more or less the same specs as the chubby 3. This is not holding on to the lather the same way. It does have some inverted hairs or something you can feel, which bugs me.

Top Bottom