What's new

Hi-res photos of DE blades

I'm just not convinced that these photos tell you anything about the quality of the blade. So what if the Merkur edge is more jagged on such a tiny scale? For all anyone knows, that could make it cut BETTER!

My guess is that a microscope could be useful if you could photograph the blades from the FRONT (a "hair's-eye-view"). Then you could see how thin the edge was. Combined with the bevel distance, that would tell you something about how good a cutter (wedge) you have. But you would still need info about the hardness of the steel, so you could tell how quickly the edge would deteriorate.

i'm just not convinced that these photos tell you anything about the quality of the blade. So what if the merkur edge is more jagged on such a tiny scale? For all anyone knows, that could make it cut better!

My guess is that a microscope could be useful if you could photograph the blades from the front (a "hair's-eye-view"). Then you could see how thin the edge was. Combined with the bevel distance, that would tell you something about how good a cutter (wedge) you have. But you would still need info about the hardness of the steel, so you could tell how quickly the edge would deteriorate.

+1

Top Bottom