What's new

Hi new to this site

I new to de shaving been watching geofatboy
Bought a parker 22r just trying to find a good blade for it now i did try a shavette a few times that scared the crap from me every time I used it.

Last edited:
Welcome to B&B.

My first venture into open blades was a cheap shavette, and I linked shaving to minor surgery for a while. Even at my first attempt I found the solid blade straights a lot more forgiving (they warned you first), but you're getting into the whole strop/stone/film world - or sending them away for honing - so it's not the most economical way at the beginning.

After the best part of a year with straight razors I gave the shavettes another go. A lot of it is developing the technique - I genuinely didn't understand why they'd given me trouble before - but all shavettes are not created equal : some do a better job of covering the corners of the blade. I've found that the "brand names" (I'll sometimes go for a Focus half-DE or a Dovo TSS3) seem to behave better.

I'll also use a safety razor (DE, half DE or AC) on occasion, but the solid blade straight razors have become my preference. But that's me. I think what I'm saying is don't be put off by the early shavette troubles.

You'll find a lot of blade recommendations on the DE/SE threads - that's a whole different rabbit hole. And I won't mention brushes and soaps just yet.

Welcome to the warren.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@md01j, I concur with @Kaldane. Don't give up on straight razor shaving, traditional or replaceable blade. It takes time to develop your technique but the results are well worth the effort.

Traditional straight razor maintenance is not difficult or expensive. If the edge is made shave-ready once, it can be maintained on diamond pasted balsa and never needs honing again.

All you need is a shave-ready traditional straight razor, a clean leather strop and your diamond pasted balsa.

Last edited:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I new to de shaving been watching geofatboy
Bought a parker 22r just trying to find a good blade for it now i did try a shavette a few times that scared the crap from me every time I used it.
Welcome to B&B, I've been there and done that with a AC 50mm Shavette and concluded that the Kai Protouch guarded blades are more enjoyable and give great shaves also than the naked edge blades. :laugh:
Geo Fatboy is a great teacher of shaving and he is gifted in demonstrating and explaining his shaving techniques well IMO.

@md01j, I concur with @Kaldane. Don't give up on straight razor shaving, traditional or replaceable blade. It takes time to develop your technique but the results are well worth the effort.

Traditional straight razor maintenance is not difficult or expensive. If the edge is made shave-ready once, it can be maintained on diamond pasted balsa and never needs honing again.

All you need is a shave-ready traditional straight razor, a clean leather strop and your diamond pasted balsa.

True, that. Reading again I did make it sound like there was more initial investment than is really necessary.

(Though I was surprised you didn't mention the other six...)

Top Bottom