What's new

Hi I'm New to Straight Razors

Back around when the pandemic started, I had been shaving with an electric razor for years, but got fed up with having to buy expensive sanitizer cartridges for it.. I never liked that the sanitizer cartridge was a big hunk of un-recyclable plastic.
So I switched over to canned shaving cream and disposable razors.

Well that did not last long, because those razors are expensive, so I bought my first ever classic safety razor that takes double edge blades. I still used canned shaving cream. What a difference! I began to enjoy shaving because I simply got a better shave and it costs practically nothing.

Eventually I used up a can of cream and I thought about what a waste to throw this hunk of metal in the garbage, so I looked into and bought a badger hair brush and shaving soap.. ooh... Now I remember watching my father shave when I was a child... I was all set... I got a decent shave and was nice to the environment.

Well as it happened my thoughts turned to straight razors, mainly because I had issues about disposing the used double edge blades... They seem to dangerous to just toss in the trash, so I'd save a few and wrap them in tape before tossing... However I realized, with a straight razor-- there are no blades to buy or throw out... It should last 50 years.

So about a month ago I bought a "Cambridge Cut Throat" razor (aptly named) to learn on.. This is a so-called straight razor that takes a disposable blade. I had watched plenty of videos on how to shave with a straight razor and had no problem just jumping in and shaving with it.. Sure, I got a few cuts the first few days.. and found that the blade does not last more than a shave or 2 before it causes irritation... so I spent a couple weeks with that, felt I got good enough and bought an actual honest to goodness straight razor.

I had my eye on an inexpensive Dovo -- but that was like $180... it's on my christmas wish list now, but I bought a $30 carbon steel no-name straight razor that came with a strop. Complaints in the reviews for it said it was not shave ready.. So I figured... So long as it can be honed, that should not be a problem -- because I fully intended to learn to sharpen and hone my own razor.

It came in, I stropped it, and I checked it out with the "hanging hair test".. it cut nicely through one of my fine head hairs.. so I was good to go.

I would say I got the best shave I've ever had with it. Absolutely no irritation, no nicks or cuts... and I realized it was actually easier and nicer to shave with than the razor I learned on..

After a few shaves my thoughts turned to leaning to hone... I watched a lot of videos, bought a set of stones, and promptly ruined the edge on my nice new razor! So I learned to set the bevel, and hone it up the right way and got it to a better state than it came in..

There is a thread on here about how often do you shave with a straight razor. I found it shaves so well that I really don't have to shave every day, but I do anyway because it is so enjoyable. It's part of my morning me-time.

I'm so happy with this I bought a second cheap razor -- a Gold Dollar, which is coming today, and I also bought a vintage Geneva Cutlery razor -- which looks in great condition in the photos, that I will do any required restoration and use in a rotation with the other two razors.

I've enjoyed reading on these forums for a while, and I thought it was time I joined in!

Sounds like you have gone through the progression of shaving equipment and done what a lot of us on here have done, gone back in time to straights. Nothing wrong with a well honed gd, not familiar with your geneva straight as I am UK based, but they are good razors from what I have read on here.
Great to say hi to a new member and straight user, hope you don't empty your pockets buying up razors and stones 😊

Sounds like you have gone through the progression of shaving equipment and done what a lot of us on here have done, gone back in time to straights. Nothing wrong with a well honed gd, not familiar with your geneva straight as I am UK based, but they are good razors from what I have read on here.
Great to say hi to a new member and straight user, hope you don't empty your pockets buying up razors and stones 😊
I think I need just one more stone ;)

I shaved for around 50 years using rotary electric shavers and disposable cartridge razors. They were quick and convenient, especially when I spent a good portion of my career in hotel rooms. However, I was never quite satisfied with either the closeness or comfort of the shave. When I retired, my personal goal was the pursuit of a super-close, super-comfortable shave. My beard is fast-growing and quite tough; my skin is super-sensitive, so it took me a few years of research and experimentation to achieve my goal. These days I am getting the closest, most comfortable, most enjoyable shaves of my life.

I can get a great shave using SE razors, DE razors, or straight razors as long as the blades are both sharp and smooth and m7y shaving technique is good. I have found that using a high-quality shave soap yields the best results. There is nothing that produces the same sense of accomplishment as a close, comfortable straight razor shave using a razor that you have honed and stropped to a perfect edge for your face. Now if that shave were accomplished using a blade that you had forged and ground as well, then that might surpass even the former feeling, but that is beyond my current capability.

Welcome to B&B and may you have many wonderful shaves ahead of you.

BTW: If your straight razor only lasts 50 years, that means it was treated poorly. I still use a Wade & Butcher, Sheffield For Barbers Use razor that dates back to the 19th century. The celluloid scales were rotten and had to be replaced, but the razor itself still shaves well.

I think I need just one more stone ;)
That's how it starts 🤣. Fortunately, I have not caught the stone bug, but what harm can yet another razor do...

As @RayClem said a good razor should last more than 50 years. My oldest razors date from the 1840s and one from the 1890s. My newest from 2021. Most of mine are from the 1920s to 1950s I would imagine. Can be hard to date with accuracy though.

The great thing about straights is the variety. You might start with a 6/8 hollow ground carbon, and then find yourself wondering what a 7/8 would shave like. Or whether your beard would prefer a heavier grind. And then stainless is harder and holds an edge longer, right? So, maybe pick up one of those to see... If you spend time every morning with a piece of ultra sharp steel against your throat, you don't want to die wondering... Am I right, or am I right?

Welcome aboard: you'll love it here! :badger:

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Back around when the pandemic started, I had been shaving with an electric razor for years, but got fed up with having to buy expensive sanitizer cartridges for it.. I never liked that the sanitizer cartridge was a big hunk of un-recyclable plastic.
So I switched over to canned shaving cream and disposable razors.

Well that did not last long, because those razors are expensive, so I bought my first ever classic safety razor that takes double edge blades. I still used canned shaving cream. What a difference! I began to enjoy shaving because I simply got a better shave and it costs practically nothing.

Eventually I used up a can of cream and I thought about what a waste to throw this hunk of metal in the garbage, so I looked into and bought a badger hair brush and shaving soap.. ooh... Now I remember watching my father shave when I was a child... I was all set... I got a decent shave and was nice to the environment.

Well as it happened my thoughts turned to straight razors, mainly because I had issues about disposing the used double edge blades... They seem to dangerous to just toss in the trash, so I'd save a few and wrap them in tape before tossing... However I realized, with a straight razor-- there are no blades to buy or throw out... It should last 50 years.

So about a month ago I bought a "Cambridge Cut Throat" razor (aptly named) to learn on.. This is a so-called straight razor that takes a disposable blade. I had watched plenty of videos on how to shave with a straight razor and had no problem just jumping in and shaving with it.. Sure, I got a few cuts the first few days.. and found that the blade does not last more than a shave or 2 before it causes irritation... so I spent a couple weeks with that, felt I got good enough and bought an actual honest to goodness straight razor.

I had my eye on an inexpensive Dovo -- but that was like $180... it's on my christmas wish list now, but I bought a $30 carbon steel no-name straight razor that came with a strop. Complaints in the reviews for it said it was not shave ready.. So I figured... So long as it can be honed, that should not be a problem -- because I fully intended to learn to sharpen and hone my own razor.

It came in, I stropped it, and I checked it out with the "hanging hair test".. it cut nicely through one of my fine head hairs.. so I was good to go.

I would say I got the best shave I've ever had with it. Absolutely no irritation, no nicks or cuts... and I realized it was actually easier and nicer to shave with than the razor I learned on..

After a few shaves my thoughts turned to leaning to hone... I watched a lot of videos, bought a set of stones, and promptly ruined the edge on my nice new razor! So I learned to set the bevel, and hone it up the right way and got it to a better state than it came in..

There is a thread on here about how often do you shave with a straight razor. I found it shaves so well that I really don't have to shave every day, but I do anyway because it is so enjoyable. It's part of my morning me-time.

I'm so happy with this I bought a second cheap razor -- a Gold Dollar, which is coming today, and I also bought a vintage Geneva Cutlery razor -- which looks in great condition in the photos, that I will do any required restoration and use in a rotation with the other two razors.

I've enjoyed reading on these forums for a while, and I thought it was time I joined in!
just thought I would mention that Genevas are very good American razors.You should be very pleased with it as I am with the one I have. Something you may want to look into is honing with lapping film. It is very easy to use and very inexpensive compared to stones. You will find it on the forums as "The Method". I have used it for years with excellent results and it is quite easy to master.

just thought I would mention that Genevas are very good American razors.You should be very pleased with it as I am with the one I have. Something you may want to look into is honing with lapping film. It is very easy to use and very inexpensive compared to stones. You will find it on the forums as "The Method". I have used it for years with excellent results and it is quite easy to master.
I bought it because I live near Geneva, NY and came across it on Ebay. After the fact I found out that in their prime they were the largest producer of straight razors. I decided I'm going to specifically collect vintage straight razors made in NY, there were other companies.

I've successfully ruined and restored the edge on my first straight razor using stones, and learned a bunch more freehand sharpening all the knives I use for cooking, so I'm comfortable with stones, but will look in to lapping film as honing is a hobby unto itself.

Welcome.

You will find that vintage US made razors are really quality razors. Some like german, others love English made or swedish, etc.
Finding an American made 1920 - 1940 razor for 25 to 40 bucks is hard to beat. I must have 40 to 50 of them.
New guys seem to enjoy the more hollow ground razors at first. So buy a few different grinds. Practice honing but i recommend you have one or two razors profesionally honed so you have something to compare your edge against, as honing takes time to learn to do properly and learning to shave on a half done edge is what turns some people away.

Glad to have ya in the group and let us know if you have any questions. We are happy to help.

Rosseforp

I think this fits, Gents
I just got me another Gold Dollar, ground off the rear stabilizer and it's ready to go after some time on the rocks. I have three Geneva razors and they are all good, and even my Grandfather's Real Old English Razor from 1905.
I think I need just one more stone
Maybe a couple of nice coticule stones.
Rabbit_Hole.png

~doug~

Maybe while you look at a Dovo you look at a Ralf Aust or a Thiers Issard as well?

I just started learning to shave with a straight razor a couple of months ago, now. It is really a fine way to spend part of my morning.

Top Bottom