What's new

Hi, I'm A Beard and I'm Growing A Jason For A Year.

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Hello Bearded & Mustachioed Gentleman.

Some of you may know me, some of you may only know my beard (former). For those that don't know me at all....Hi my name is Jason (Toothpick) and I'm about to grow a beard for a full year.

Allow me to briefly fill you in on the back story. Read here:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php/469988-To-grow-a-beard-or-not-to-grow-a-beard

Or just read this taken from there:

I am faced with a dilemma.

I once grew a beard for 6 months. It was the most epic beard any of my friends have ever seen. Every time I saw one of them the first thing they mentioned was how awesome my beard is. Even strangers would be like "dude, love the beard" and I'd be like "dude, it's awesome I know".

Well, I got bored and job hunting and decided to shave it. All the way off. My friends were like NOOOOOOOOO. I was like SORRRYYYYY!!!. They were like GROW IT BACK! I was like MAYBE ONE DAAAYYY. This was...3 years ago?
Well I haven't grown it back. And to this day my friends still bring up the beard.

I told you that story to tell you this. My best friend, like bestest bestie ever friend, is getting married next year. She has asked me to be in the wedding. I was like FO SHO. She's like you know what would be awesome? Your beard in my wedding. I'm like hmmmm you want me to grow my beard back for your wedding? She's like FO SHO. So I says "I'm on it. I will start the growing on Oct. 22nd. And continue the growing all year. When your wedding rolls around It will be exactly 1 year of growth". She's getting married on Oct. 22nd next year.

So enter my dilemma......

I've got decades worth of shave stuff to use. I just got a brand new amazing brush. I recently discovered Wilkinson Sword Shave Sticks as being probably the best shave soap ever (thanks to a PIF from an awesome dude!). I feel a slight case of RAD and BAD kicking in...

And I agreed to grow a beard for a whole year.

What the heck was I thinking?

So what is a guy to do!? Do I dissapoint my BBEF and say "ummm about that beard, ya see...I got like a lot of shave stuff and I really enjoy using it all. I got this cool blue brush with real badger hair, and I just discovered a new soap that I really really like. Here feel my face...YEAH! BBS! It's that new soap and brush! So...like...well, I'd be happy to wear a fake beard to your wedding, but a real one...not so much".

Or do I say "ok guys, bad news...I'm going to have to neglect you all for a year. I got some serious beard growing to do and I promised a friend I would. Oh don't get all droopy on me Frank, screw your lid back on Mr. Stetson. This is just for one year, and then I'll be right back in the saddle. Look, I'll probably even add some new friends along the way so it won't be all bad. Yes, I promise to use you first Wilkinson. Now don't anyone go sour on me, see you in a year. XOXO"

Why do I feel like the only man in the world that has ever faced this dilemma?

To long, didn't read?....ok I'll make this quick - My bestest bestie ever friend is getting married exactly one year from today. She thinks it would be super awesome if I grew my beard for a year. I do too.

If you did read the quote then no need to answer that last question. It has already been decided. Well...yeah because I'm here posting this so you should get that by now. Moving on!

I will use this thread to document the transformation and provide weekly updates. Ok let's be honest, I'm lazy so someone is going to have to remind me to come back and post updates.

Today I started with a fresh shave. I plan to keep my cheeks and neck shaved so I'll still be shaving some areas.

And well..that's that! Let the beard growing begin!

Updated 10/8/2016
The Year Long Beardformation!

Last edited by a moderator:

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
At some point in your journey, you will be required by law to move to Williamsburg, Brooklyn. Lunch is on me.

Welcome to the beards and mustache forum. :)

So, do you plan to let it all grow and skip all shaving for a couple days, then map out the lines you want?

Toothpick

Needs milk and a bidet!
Staff member
Welcome to the beards and mustache forum. :)

So, do you plan to let it all grow and skip all shaving for a couple days, then map out the lines you want?

That's the plan.

I'll likely skip longer than a couple days. Probably a week or so. Mapping the lines on my neck is most troublesome. The more hair available to help see the line the better.

BigFoot

I wanna be sedated!
Staff member
That's the plan.

I'll likely skip longer than a couple days. Probably a week or so. Mapping the lines on my neck is most troublesome. The more hair available to help see the line the better.

Just wait until your beard turns gray. When I shave my goatee I have to let it get much longer than when I was younger to see the hair. :lol:

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
First and foremost-- Bravo, sir, and well done for doing this for your friend. Both of you will have this effort to look back upon for the rest of your lives, and may you both do so with a smile so large that even that majestic beard of yours could not hide it.

Second-- May this not be a chore for you, but a joy. Relish it.

Third-- We also have tacos in Houston, so stop by if you can. Lunch is on me, too.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I must add the following, after showing SWMBO the photo of your beard. A few lines from her response.

"Wow! That's an awesome beard."

"It's like it's its own entity!"

"What is he going to shave in the meantime to satisfy the urge?"

Jason, stop by Wicker Park the next time you're in Chicago. Your beard will fit in, and the tacos are on me!

Top Bottom