What's new

Hi - here's my first week with a DE

Experiences of a newbie…

I have used Mach 3 Turbos for many years and took the plungeover the weekend into the world of safety razors. So what have I learned over the first week?

1. You can get a closer shave with a DE than a Mach3 Turbo, but it takes more care and more time!
2. The learning curve isn’t as bad as expected – bythe end of the first week I am getting consistently good results and nothacking my face to pieces. More to learnthough.
3. Slow and steady does it – light hands and aheavy razor does the trick. Pressingharder doesn’t get a closer shave, just damages your skin.
4. Learning the direction your hair grows makes abig difference to the quality and comfort of your shave.
5. You need an alum block, at least for the firstfew days and later when changing blades / razors.
6. Merkur 34c is an excellent piece of kit, mighthave been better to start with a Derby rather than the included Merkur blade.
7. I’m already thinking of buying a premium safetyrazor (love my toys!), but have realised that I need to learn much more abouthow the blades will work. Have decidedto postpone any further purchase (except possibly a spare) until I have workedmy way through the samplers and gained an understanding of what an aggressiveblade can do!

Here’s the story of my week…

Merkur 34 c arrived with two separate sampler packs witharound 70 blades of various brands. Spent some time putting the blades in order of sharpness (-ish) based oninternet reviews. Very excited.

Saturday: loaded up the included Mercur blade – with sometrepidation. Used a Simpsons Duke #3brush to get some lather going with Trumpers Lime soap, my usualcombination. WTG started very smoothlyuntil I got too cocky and nicked myself. Otherwise fine, and ATG went well too. Application of alum block fixed the issue, and I had the smoothest shavefor years.

Sunday: same kit, and tried WTG, XTG and ATG. Face fine, but neck didn’t like XTG, so a bitof razor burn. Will leave that for a bituntil technique improves. Alum blockdeployed again. Works well.

Monday: WTG and ATG with the same kit and decent results butthe Mekur blade felt like it was beginning to tug, so time for a new one.

Tuesday: away on business, so switched to my 20 year oldtravel brush, a small lightbulb from Trumpers, again with lime soap. Time for a new blade, so went for the mostgentle, a Derby. WTG and ATG were not agreat success – noticeably less sharp than the Mercur, and not cutting asclosely. Pressed a bit harder withpredictable results – a bit of burn, some weepers and a nick on my chin. Will be more careful tomorrow.

Wednesday: day 2 on the Derby, shaved much more gently andcame away for the first time with a good shave, no nicks and very littleirritation. Didn’t even use the alumblock. Satisfied that I am beginning toget to grips with all this, but today’s shave just wasn’t that close. A Derby thing perhaps. Now thinking about what high end razor tobuy… perhaps think about that again when I have been using the Merkur 34c for afew months and have come to grips with some of the sharper blades.

Thursday: day 3 with the travelling setup and on the sameDerby – still working, but not a close shave. No nicks or irritation, decent result and no need for the Alum block. Going home today, so fresh bladetomorrow. Will stick with Derby for thenext two blades so that when I change I’ll be able to spot the difference.

Friday: back at home with the larger brush and a fresh Derbyloaded. Took my time to get a closeshave WTG, ATG with several repeats on difficult areas. Beginning to feel the correct angle, and canhear the blade cutting. Again, no nicksor burn, very little irritation and no need for alum. Paradoxically, I suspect that moving to a moreaggressive blade will require fewer repeats and make for a more comfortable(and quicker) shave.

So there’s my week – encouraging so far, and Iwill only goback to a cartridge where airline regulations mean I can’t carry blades.

Thanks to the forum for the guidance and advice that I havegleaned as a lurker…

Hello and welcome. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

Welcome and congrats on a good first week! I have issues with XTG on my lower neck area. If you experience the same, try doing two WTG and then one ATG on the lower neck. For me that allows me to skip XTG on the sensitive parts of my neck and still get a DFS!

Welcome and Well Done!

The only thing I see missing is the use of Witch Hazel for immediately after you shave.

May I suggest this for you?

https://www.amazon.com/Thayers-Witc...466176651&sr=1-7&keywords=thayers+witch+hazel

It closes your pores, tightens your skin, soothes your face and smells pretty darn nice as well!

...should have mentioned I used Trumper's Royal and West Indian Limes aftershaves, but have never tried Witch Hazel. One for next time!

Thanks again.

Welcome and congrats on a good first week! I have issues with XTG on my lower neck area. If you experience the same, try doing two WTG and then one ATG on the lower neck. For me that allows me to skip XTG on the sensitive parts of my neck and still get a DFS!

...two WTG passes followed by ATG seems to be the way to go. Will build that into the regime next week.

Thanks again, and thanks to everyone for the welcome.

proxy.php

Welcome to B&B

Good to hear your venture into traditional wet shaving was successful AND that you have decided to join us.

Do not be shy about joining in ANY of the conversations and meeting the members. We're all good friends here on B&B

Drop into the Shave Wiki and read over some of the shaving articles. http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/ You will find a LOT of useful info in there.

If you have not already done so, stop into the Hall of Fame and tell everyone a little about yourself

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php/30-Hall-of-Fame

Top Bottom