What's new

Hi from the oldest newbie ever to post here?

Hi everyone, I found B&B years ago through my love of fountain pens and good ink, never thinking I'd have much to do with the 'big' side of the forum.
Let's cut to the chase, I'm English, an ex soldier, and 70 years of age (hence the thread title).
I have only ever wet shaved, but over the years have drifted into cheapo supermarket gels and creams, with cartridge based razors of nondescript origin.
I don't have a beard like Desperate Dan, with bristles the thickness of pencils like some of my friends, but if I go out in the evening I have sufficient regrowth that I have to shave again. Sick of having to shell out silly money for cartridges that clog, wear out quickly and offer very very poor VFM, I started to lurk here, and made a decision to move back to DE shaving, going back to where I first started. I've done my due diligence, and have now have, as of Fridays post delivery, my first set of purchases.
I've set myself up with the following as my first tentative steps into the world of quality shaving...
1. A Qshave adjustable and stand in black....more of that in a moment.
2. NM menthol shaving oil left over from my Aldi years.
3. Arko shaving sticks (I already have a brush which is next on my list for replacement)- absolutely love the barbershop smell and the creaminess of the lather, a real bargain!
4. A collection of blades - GSB, Polsilver, Wilkinson sword (only because my razor arrived before my choice of blades and they were the only ones in my local chemist), plus some Voshkods on the way from Lithuania due to arrive Tuesday.
5. A bottle of 15 year old American Crew facial toner that I'd stashed away in the bathroom cupboard (their original Witch Hazel blend) with about a weeks worth of fluid left.

I'm struggling to explain just how gratifying I'm finding shaving with a DE is. Maybe it's nostalgia, maybe it's the absolute sense it makes both monetarily and from a waste perspective, but I find that my morning has far more to it now than a quick slurp and scrape, it's actually very very... satisfying, to take the time to shave well.
The Qshave? for the money a revelation from an ex butterfly guy. My first shave (at 3.5) was a disaster...I'd popped the blade in but not checked the alignment, leaving one side of the razor higher than the other, and, after shaving, leaving one side of my face with less skin than the other. Second shave was spot on, letting the weight of the razor do the work made for a far better experience.
I used a Wilkinson blade firstly, but it felt really harsh for some reason, so much so that I changed it after a day for one of the GSB's and I really can't tell it's in the razor it is so smooth to use, chalk and cheese really. I hope the Polsilvers and Voshkods are as good.

Rather than keep rattling on, could I ask for some advice and guidance please?
The Qshave as you all know is bulky, and I'm having great issue with the area under my nostrils, the Q just can't get in there...has anyone got a suggestion for a not too expensive razor that would be slim enough to do the job? I plan to use it after my main shave just to trim up. I know a cheap Bic one blader would do it, but I'd rather shave with a traditional razor from now on.
Secondly, is the use of shaving oil first and then lathering up with Arko 'over the top' or will the lather only give an equally smooth shave?
And last but by no means least I need your guidance about post shave.
I have only just read up on alum blocks; if I'm going for the best shaving experience, do they seriously add to the quality of a shave? I currently just use what's left of my AC facial toner, which calms down my face quite nicely, but I've read so many forum posts where finishing with alum appears to be the de facto way to go for experienced shavers.
Any advice here would be really appreciated.
Sorry to have banged on so much, but it's nice to be here and to be able to ask experienced forum members for the benefit of their many years of wet shaving.
Thanks for reading, it's greatly appreciated, and I look forward to taking whatever advice is proffered.

I’d help with many of your questions, but I’m also a newbie who hadn’t wet shaved since I tried at 14-15 or so a few times and getting nothing but burn & blood. Went to electric and never looked back until four months ago when I again took up the blades. Now lots less blood and only some burn. Learning.

BTW I was in 1st grade when you were born.

Welcome!! It's fantastic that you are already enjoying the experience, and sounds like you have some nice stuff to be shaving with.

Given your beard I would suggest a Fatip Piccolo or Grande. They are around £20. Shavelounge in the UK sell them but I think there are other UK vendors as well.

If you want something milder, I'd suggest the Edwin Jagger DE89 - available of Amazon, and pretty much anywhere. This is one of the standard razors for developing skills, but it is quite mild. That isn't a problem with one of the sharper blade brands on the market.

The trick with the Qshave is to come in from the side under the nostril. You should be able to catch all the hairs that way. You will probably find that the more you use it the easier it becomes.

Alum blocks are great for a couple of purposes:
1) Tighten the skin
2) Heal weepers
3) Cool down razor burn

Not essential but they are great addition to the shaving experience especially if you follow up with a balm.

For more serious nicks a styptic pencil from Boots is better.

I’d help with many of your questions, but I’m also a newbie who hadn’t wet shaved since I tried at 14-15 or so a few times and getting nothing but burn & blood. Went to electric and never looked back until four months ago when I again took up the blades. Now lots less blood and only some burn. Learning.

Thanks for getting back Ed, guess I'll have to change the title of my thread!

Welcome!! It's fantastic that you are already enjoying the experience, and sounds like you have some nice stuff to be shaving with.

Given your beard I would suggest a Fatip Piccolo or Grande. They are around £20. Shavelounge in the UK sell them but I think there are other UK vendors as well.

If you want something milder, I'd suggest the Edwin Jagger DE89 - available of Amazon, and pretty much anywhere. This is one of the standard razors for developing skills, but it is quite mild. That isn't a problem with one of the sharper blade brands on the market.

The trick with the Qshave is to come in from the side under the nostril. You should be able to catch all the hairs that way. You will probably find that the more you use it the easier it becomes.

Alum blocks are great for a couple of purposes:
1) Tighten the skin
2) Heal weepers
3) Cool down razor burn

Not essential but they are great addition to the shaving experience especially if you follow up with a balm.

For more serious nicks a styptic pencil from Boots is better.
This is great advice seven, and thanks for helping. I've just found a Jagger on Shavelounge for £26, so I'm off to research that. Alum block is on order, and I'll try the sideways tip tomorrow morning. Cheers for this!

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Welcome back to DE shaving. You took your time didn't you? :D

I'll start with the alum. I use it when I need it, which is when there's any kind of harshness to the shave. I then follow this up with Nivea shave balm which is usually cheapest at Superdrug if you have one near you. Most of the time I don't bother with post shave stuff as I don't need it, but it's nice to have the alum and balm to hand if I happen to get a little heavy handed, the blade is nearing the end of its life, or if I didn't quite get the lather or prep right (it does happen sometimes).

Talking of cheap, Palmolive shave sticks are 50p at Tesco and Wilko, and were 49p at Asda. Easier to get hold of than Arco over here (unless you know something I don't).

I've been using DE for a couple of decades, but have had limited exposure to different razors in that time, and I've not shaved my top lip for over 10 years, so I'm far from the most knowledgeable in terms of razors. However, I do have a Parker 22 Interceptor which is another butterfly opener, which seems quite good at getting under the snout. Last time I checked they were under £20. Some have been reported to be a little prone to assymetrical loading like you found with your Qshave, but I've not had any issues with mine. I only mention it as a prompt to check before putting it to your face. Be warned, it's not as mild as the Jagger though. (the Jagger is actually my favourite)

Good luck, let us know how you get on, and shout up if you have any issues.

Welcome to the club. Glad to have you aboard. Since you live in Sheffield, you should definitely get an Edwin Jagger.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
Another Sheffield lad? Definitely get a Jagger then ;) I lived there most of my life, but I'm living just the other side of the M1 at the moment.

Welcome back to DE shaving. You took your time didn't you? :D

I'll start with the alum. I use it when I need it, which is when there's any kind of harshness to the shave. I then follow this up with Nivea shave balm which is usually cheapest at Superdrug if you have one near you. Most of the time I don't bother with post shave stuff as I don't need it, but it's nice to have the alum and balm to hand if I happen to get a little heavy handed, the blade is nearing the end of its life, or if I didn't quite get the lather or prep right (it does happen sometimes).

Talking of cheap, Palmolive shave sticks are 50p at Tesco and Wilko, and were 49p at Asda. Easier to get hold of than Arco over here (unless you know something I don't).

I've been using DE for a couple of decades, but have had limited exposure to different razors in that time, and I've not shaved my top lip for over 10 years, so I'm far from the most knowledgeable in terms of razors. However, I do have a Parker 22 Interceptor which is another butterfly opener, which seems quite good at getting under the snout. Last time I checked they were under £20. Some have been reported to be a little prone to assymetrical loading like you found with your Qshave, but I've not had any issues with mine. I only mention it as a prompt to check before putting it to your face. Be warned, it's not as mild as the Jagger though. (the Jagger is actually my favourite)

Good luck, let us know how you get on, and shout up if you have any issues.
Thanks Aimless, I'm on to the Jagger DE89 now. I'm still getting used to the terminology: I've been equating 'mild' with 'needs a few passes to get a smooth face'. I'm learning quickly though.
I got my Arko's from fleebayee - 12 sticks for £9 delivered, so I'm set up for life there. Thanks again.

Welcome to the club. Glad to have you aboard. Since you live in Sheffield, you should definitely get an Edwin Jagger.
Thanks xxv - that's three shouts for the Jagger. It's a shame that all my local outlets sell only cartridge Jaggers, but there are lots on the winternet to search through.

Kudos to being tech savvy :)
1. Use the Qshave and find what aggression level you like. I have one. It is great but the size of it is an issue. The q shave is very mild at 0 but gets angry very quickly!

If you like a setting < half way, I would recommend a 34c or slightly more aggressive Muhle r89.
If you like it set at > half way, a Yaqi Mellon head or a Muhle R41 might be a better fit.

2. Shaving oils are not for use with soap as they can kill the lather. If your soap is not slick enough, get one that is.

3. Alum blocks are for post shave and help tighten up the skin. I use them for rough shaved to help heal quicker. I don't use them if my shave is good.

AimlessWanderer

Remember to forget me!
S17 Aimless - sleepy hollow a mile from Owler Bar roundabout. Lovely.

Very nice. I used to frequent the pubs out that way many years ago. :)

Thanks xxv - that's three shouts for the Jagger. It's a shame that all my local outlets sell only cartridge Jaggers, but there are lots on the winternet to search through.

I believe English Shaving Company is owned by Jagger. I don't know if they have a "shop front" as such, but it might be worth phoning and asking. They're not far from Shalesmoor.

Kudos to being tech savvy :)
1. Use the Qshave and find what aggression level you like. I have one. It is great but the size of it is an issue. The q shave is very mild at 0 but gets angry very quickly!

If you like a setting < half way, I would recommend a 34c or slightly more aggressive Muhle r89.
If you like it set at > half way, a Yaqi Mellon head or a Muhle R41 might be a better fit.

2. Shaving oils are not for use with soap as they can kill the lather. If your soap is not slick enough, get one that is.

3. Alum blocks are for post shave and help tighten up the skin. I use them for rough shaved to help heal quicker. I don't use them if my shave is good.
Super reply Atin, thanks a lot. At the minute I have the Q set at 4.5 but there's burn attached to that level, so tomorrow I'm going to go back to 2.5 and test upwards, then I'll be able to make a decision about the second razor. Your advice about the oil was perfect - the Arko sticks I have lather up brilliantly but using oil for the first time today, and lathering over it turned it into supermarket goo, now I know why. Any thoughts on Witch Hazel as an overall toner instead of Alum?

Glad you're here. I'm just a lad of 67, myself.

A little adult supervision would do us all some good, sir.

And, BTW, thank you for your service.

Mac

Welcome to B&B. The GSB is one of my favourite blades but cannot comment on the Qshave razor. I like using the Merkur Progress with a GSB or Astra SP. Post shave I occasionally use witch hazel but always a moisturiser.

Top Bottom