What's new

Hi from New York City

I've been shaving for about 58 years. Most of that has been wet shaving, although I did try an electric razor 15 years ago.

As a teenager, I started shaving with a safety razor. I remember looking at adjustable razors, but my father showed me that you can adjust the razor aggressiveness and blade exposure on a regular butterfly razor by tightening or loosening the razor’s only knob. You don't need a separate adjustable dial!

Over the years, I’ve tried all kinds of razors -- Gillette and Schick kept coming out with new models. Atra? Afta?, single blade injector, one where the blade itself was a ribbon that you advance, and various cartridges. I pretty much settled on a Gillette Sensor and found that I like the original Sensor double blades, not the ones with multiple cutting surfaces. I think contemporary cartridges have up to 5 cutting edges!

I consistently cut myself while using a safety razor. I’ve had two safety razors for a while. One is unidentified but long and light; the other is a MicroTouch One razor, short. It, too is light. I’ve had the former for 10 or 20 years and the latter for a few years.

A month or two ago, I decided to try again with safety razors. I studied videos on how-to-shave. I thought I might avoid cuts by using an adjustable razor of better quality and by being more careful. I bought a Parker Variant and have been successful with it. I use it on the mildest aggression setting. A Merkur 38C and a Rockwell 2C are on order.

Starting around 45 years ago, I used shaving soap in an antique soap holder and applied it with a brush. The soap holder broke and I got rid of it along with the brush. I’ve been using shaving cream lately. That is satisfactory as long as I first moisturize my face with soap and hot water and then rub the shaving cream onto my skin. Shaving soap and brush will have to wait. I’m not yet ready to spend another $20 or $40 on more shaving supplies!

Welcome to B&B! We probably would have tried to put you off purchasing more razors right away if you came in sooner for several reasons. At least the 2 you ordered should satisfy you for quite some time and you can focus on other things. A brush would be a good next step. Even with your existing cream, you can use it to work the product into your beard and get everything well hydrated. If you don't want to spend a lot of money, look at the G5 knots from AP shave and Maggards. They are the latest synthetics and you won't be wasting your money on something that you won't want to keep using. Or a nice Zenith boar brush from Gentle shave.

Glad you joined, welcome! This is a site full of friendly folks that enjoy this wonderful pastime of wet shaving. However you go about it, enjoy your shaves!

Welcome to B&B! We probably would have tried to put you off purchasing more razors right away if you came in sooner for several reasons. At least the 2 you ordered should satisfy you for quite some time and you can focus on other things. A brush would be a good next step. Even with your existing cream, you can use it to work the product into your beard and get everything well hydrated. If you don't want to spend a lot of money, look at the G5 knots from AP shave and Maggards. They are the latest synthetics and you won't be wasting your money on something that you won't want to keep using. Or a nice Zenith boar brush from Gentle shave.
Let me add that I don't have any facial hair -- no beard, mustache or mutton chops.

I cut and trim the hair on top, sides and back of my head with a Wahl T-Pro beard trimmer. I haven't needed a haircut in years.

I've been shaving for about 58 years. Most of that has been wet shaving, although I did try an electric razor 15 years ago.

As a teenager, I started shaving with a safety razor. I remember looking at adjustable razors, but my father showed me that you can adjust the razor aggressiveness and blade exposure on a regular butterfly razor by tightening or loosening the razor’s only knob. You don't need a separate adjustable dial!

Over the years, I’ve tried all kinds of razors -- Gillette and Schick kept coming out with new models. Atra? Afta?, single blade injector, one where the blade itself was a ribbon that you advance, and various cartridges. I pretty much settled on a Gillette Sensor and found that I like the original Sensor double blades, not the ones with multiple cutting surfaces. I think contemporary cartridges have up to 5 cutting edges!

I consistently cut myself while using a safety razor. I’ve had two safety razors for a while. One is unidentified but long and light; the other is a MicroTouch One razor, short. It, too is light. I’ve had the former for 10 or 20 years and the latter for a few years.

A month or two ago, I decided to try again with safety razors. I studied videos on how-to-shave. I thought I might avoid cuts by using an adjustable razor of better quality and by being more careful. I bought a Parker Variant and have been successful with it. I use it on the mildest aggression setting. A Merkur 38C and a Rockwell 2C are on order.

Starting around 45 years ago, I used shaving soap in an antique soap holder and applied it with a brush. The soap holder broke and I got rid of it along with the brush. I’ve been using shaving cream lately. That is satisfactory as long as I first moisturize my face with soap and hot water and then rub the shaving cream onto my skin. Shaving soap and brush will have to wait. I’m not yet ready to spend another $20 or $40 on more shaving supplies!
Welcome to the board neighbor!

If you don't want to spend anymore money on shaving supplies for a while, avoid Pasteur's Pharmacy on 34th street and their other location in the Upper East Side.

....unless curiosity gets the best of ya.

It does beat paying for shipping though.

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
Welcome to the board neighbor!

If you don't want to spend anymore money on shaving supplies for a while, avoid Pasteur's Pharmacy on 34th street and their other location in the Upper East Side.

....unless curiosity gets the best of ya.

It does beat paying for shipping though.
Man. You are bad my friend!

Lol, I'd sleep in front of Pasteur's in the summer!

Welcome to B and B, friend @Mysterious Mose ! Make yourself at home.

And a Gilette Trac II.

I also used a Gillette Trac II.

Top Bottom