What's new

Hi from Holland

Hi fellow shavers!
My name is Marc, I'm from the Netherlands and I am new here. I've been welcomed already and I wanted to introduce myself some more over here. Please excuse me if my English is not perfect, I'm trying
I've been shaving my whole adult life and although I never hated it, it was something you had to do. Or when there was a party or something, then I really liked to shave. It was mostly wetshaving and only sometimes with my electric shaver. But I always liked wetshaving more! Anyway, long story long... Years went by and it was September 2017 when since ages I wanted to shave BBS again, although I had no idea yet that it was called BBS . The last time I did that, I was about 17 years old. I remember that I really liked the super smooth skin! Back then I loved the Davidoff Cool Water AS, the sting it gave me and of course the smell of it. Back to the past future, so I wanted to recreate that feeling again. My razor of choice as always was the Mach3 and some canned goo and off I went. Long story short, the post shave irritation was out of this world! Remember, I had no idea yet at I was doing. I went WTG, XTG, ATG over and over again, until I achieved a sort of bbs. It was way harder then in the past. Sting all over, bumps, burn, the real deal! And my Cool Water AS wasn't helping either So I thought it wasn't for me anymore. Or were my cartridges dull? That's it! But I didn't want to spent that ridiculous amount of money on just a few cartridges anymore. So I went on the internet and did some research and very soon I read about DE shaving! Now that seemed interesting! Ok, I'll go for that. I searched the internet for a real store were I can go to, to touch and smell all the stuff I needed. Finally I found one not too far away and the next day I went there, this new playground for me! Wow! All those shining razors and lovely, classic smelling soaps and aftershaves! This is it for me! So I bought a E&J DE89, an E&J brush, a samplepack of blades, some soaps and balm, got some advise of the owner and I went home a happy man. But it wasn't as easy as i thought. There was blood, pain, although a lot less pain... Must be something wrong with my technique. So I went on the internet again and before long I came to this forum. So much info here and so many tutorials and nice people, great! I also watched lots of videos, but somehow I lost my interest for this way of shaving. I knew I loved it, but maybe later. Then, months later while summer fishing with a friend of mine, he asked me about that specific way of classic shaving I raved about earlier and like that my enthusiasm was back! I told him all about it, we went shopping a little later and he was hooked immediately. I got more advise wich mainly was 'do not use pressure!' Yeah, I know. But apparently I didn't. I had another idea of no pressure. And slowly but surely I became better at it, way less blood was spilled and here I am, incredibly hooked to this way of grooming, shaving or whatever you call it. I take care of my skin like never before, every day or every other day I pick the soap that suits me that day and I mainly use Feathers in my DE89. I think I suffer from multiple ADs, mainly soaps or creams and aftershaves! Fragrances, actually. My wife to be thinks I'm crazy, but she still loves me! I learned so much from you guys and it's great to be part of this community! So thnx again!

Marc

Thank you so much, guys! Looking forward to my shave tomorrow. Nice sunny weather in the Netherlands. Probably with TOBS grapefruit and my new Pinaud Lime Sec. Btw, I'm mostly a cold water shaver. Even in the 'winter'. Favorite cold shave : proraso green pre, soap, aftershave and balm. Literally cold

Wellcome MarcH.
What do you think about De Vergulde Hand Shaving Soaps and Balsem?
I visited Netherlands twice. I really like your country. Still have some stuff from your country in my den such as DVH Soaps, Balsem and Kruidvat Alum block. Kruidvat stores are nice.
Regards.

Wellcome MarcH.
What do you think about De Vergulde Hand Shaving Soaps and Balsem?
I visited Netherlands twice. I really like your country. Still have some stuff from your country in my den such as DVH Soaps, Balsem and Kruidvat Alum block. Kruidvat stores are nice.
Regards.

To be fair, I only used DVH soap once. Apparently in the artisan part of the Dutch shaving world, DHV is not very populair. But nonetheless I wanted to try the soap. Saw some positive reviews on YouTube, so I bought the soap. I Already had the balm, which has a real nice scent, too. Just a few weeks ago I put the two to the test and it was not my best shave. There was something in the soap or the balm that gave me some real irritation in the neck area. Of course it might be due to my technique that day, but I haven't used it since. But I will soon and let you know what I think. Kruidvat store are nice indeed, nothing special, but they do have some good brands shaving and AS stuff.

Billski

Here I am, 1st again.
Welcome

1098.gif

Top Bottom