What's new

Hi from "down under"

Hi Folks....

I'm very new here so "Hello" to all from "the land down under"!

I decided to sign up after noticing one day that the cost of the replacement cartridges for my razor was almost as much as buying the entire razor in teh first place! Then i remembered that my Dad used a simple DE razor for most of his life and figured i may as well try it as well!

After a bit of "reading up" I'm now happily in the DE wet shave camp. I'm learning heaps, but still getting confused on some things while really enjoying the sense of "pampering & luxury" that a wet shave brings each morning.

To get started i bought myself a restored & replated 1955 (my birth year) Gillette Flare Tip Super Speed DE razor that looks as good as i imagine it looked the day that it came out of the factory in 1955. I also picked up a big bunch of sample blades off Amazon Au. I started with the Derby Extra's because i read somewhere that they were reasonably "forgiving". I'm using a tub of TOBS St James Collection Luxury Shaving Creme, mainly because almost everything else that i looked at seemed to have a sandalwood scent and i have vague memories that sandalwood irritates my nose. I also purchased a small TOBS alum block & styptic stick as well as a Vikings Blades White Knight badger brush. I use Nivea "sensitive" post shave balm and while i have some Col Conk "pre shave oil" i can't actually tell if it makes any difference or whether it simply gets wiped off when i brush on the lather. But I've decided to stick with those basics for a while until i find my feet and get more fo a feel for what I'm doing. I am however on my 3rd shaving bowl and third brush / razor stand - i just can't seem to find the right ones!

Anyway, i hope that there are a few Aussies on here. I'm looking forwards to continuing to learn heaps - and maybe even contribute a little one day!

For some reason i have found a large number of the links on the "Wet shaving instructions and tutorials" section seem to lead to an "OOPs" page. And i can't seem to figure out how to add a signature line. Is that just me?

Stay well and hope to chat again soon.

Welcome to B&B.

The links are to Wiki pages which are being fixed. And there are a number of folks from "down under" on B&B.

Thank's for the welcome folks. Nice to see that there are quite a few folks from all over on here. I'm looking fdw to learning more and seeing your comments on the forums.

Cheers
A|T

Welcome! I have been to Canberra several times (lovely town... I would go back in a heartbeat!), but that is my extent of travels in you realm. Shame what they went though this past year. Hope you were not affected!

Legion

Staff member
Hi Folks....

I'm very new here so "Hello" to all from "the land down under"!

I decided to sign up after noticing one day that the cost of the replacement cartridges for my razor was almost as much as buying the entire razor in teh first place! Then i remembered that my Dad used a simple DE razor for most of his life and figured i may as well try it as well!

After a bit of "reading up" I'm now happily in the DE wet shave camp. I'm learning heaps, but still getting confused on some things while really enjoying the sense of "pampering & luxury" that a wet shave brings each morning.

To get started i bought myself a restored & replated 1955 (my birth year) Gillette Flare Tip Super Speed DE razor that looks as good as i imagine it looked the day that it came out of the factory in 1955. I also picked up a big bunch of sample blades off Amazon Au. I started with the Derby Extra's because i read somewhere that they were reasonably "forgiving". I'm using a tub of TOBS St James Collection Luxury Shaving Creme, mainly because almost everything else that i looked at seemed to have a sandalwood scent and i have vague memories that sandalwood irritates my nose. I also purchased a small TOBS alum block & styptic stick as well as a Vikings Blades White Knight badger brush. I use Nivea "sensitive" post shave balm and while i have some Col Conk "pre shave oil" i can't actually tell if it makes any difference or whether it simply gets wiped off when i brush on the lather. But I've decided to stick with those basics for a while until i find my feet and get more fo a feel for what I'm doing. I am however on my 3rd shaving bowl and third brush / razor stand - i just can't seem to find the right ones!

Anyway, i hope that there are a few Aussies on here. I'm looking forwards to continuing to learn heaps - and maybe even contribute a little one day!

For some reason i have found a large number of the links on the "Wet shaving instructions and tutorials" section seem to lead to an "OOPs" page. And i can't seem to figure out how to add a signature line. Is that just me?

Stay well and hope to chat again soon.
Welcome aboard mate.
Yep, lots of Aussies here. We even have a little subsection, which is linked in my sig.

Welcome. You can change your signature from your profile page.

Banff National Park View 1920 x 1200 widescreen.jpeg

Thanks for the warm welcome guys. Nice to see a few aussie conections. I will wander over to the aussie subsection and have a geek over there!

Stay safe everyone!

Welcome to the Madness, mate!

Melbourne based shaver here and always glad to see another Aussie join. Message me if you need any assistance or advice.

Paul aka MadMan

Hey again. I'm trying to find the section that tells us what the "rules and regulations" are in relation to the forum. I must need new glasses because i cant see them anywhere :(

In particular i'm trying to find out ..

> what the "contributor" badges are and what each level means..

> what sort of probation we are on as new members as i have seen a couple of items in the members sales section but note that i can't post in there as yet. (maybe that's just as well. I have a feeling that my wife is going to kill me when she sees all this shaving gear arriving!)

> I've also seen that as a new member i need to wait a while before i can add a signature line but couldn't find anywhere that says how long i need to wait.

There must be somewhere that this info is posted but I'm danged if i can find it.... hopefully someone can point me in the right direction..

Top Bottom