What's new

Hi from "down under"

It's been great to say hi to everyone. Thanks to everyone who has replied and said hi. You are all a very friendly bunch, which is nice. :)

Whoever would have thought that a simple thing such as shaving would create such an interesting hobby!

Nice to see that there are quite a few aussie on here.

To all the aussies, does much collectable stuff come up on aussie eBay... and if not, any recommendations as to the best places to hunt around for vintage razors etc?

hi @aussietanker and welcome.. another aussie here from Adelaide, if you have any questions feel free to ask here or pm

I am no expert on where to get vintage stuff but managed to bag my a birth year 73 Gillette Black Beauty and a 60's something slim, both bagged via BST on forums. The Black Beauty from this forum and the slim from another one in Australia..

just keeps your eyes peeled on the BST sections of the forums and of course still try ebay, just run a bit more of a risk if there are any issues with a razor

another aussie here from Adelaide

Aaahhhh. Adelaide. The city that never sleeps at night!

Actually my favorite Aussie city (along with Hobart!) Adelaide is my home town. All my family lives there and I hope to be moving back permanently next year after having lived in Sydney for over 30 years!

Don't tell the Sydneysiders, but I can't wait to escape!

Aaahhhh. Adelaide. The city that never sleeps at night!

Actually my favorite Aussie city (along with Hobart!) Adelaide is my home town. All my family lives there and I hope to be moving back permanently next year after having lived in Sydney for over 30 years!

Don't tell the Sydneysiders, but I can't wait to escape!

yeah, Adelaide NEVER sleeps before 7pm lol but on a serious note.. 30 years??? mate i had enough after a two day business trip :)

I am no expert on where to get vintage stuff but managed to bag my a birth year 73 Gillette Black Beauty and a 60's something slim

Congratulations. I think that the black beauties are really beautiful razors! One of Gillette best actually. And the slims are my second favorite razor.

I have been looking, looking, looking (to quote "Con the fruiter") on eBay for ages for a gold toned black beauty.

No luck as yet, but I will keep looking!

Congratulations. I think that the black beauties are really beautiful razors! One of Gillette best actually. And the slims are my second favorite razor.

I have been looking, looking, looking (to quote "Con the fruiter") on eBay for ages for a gold toned black beauty.

No luck as yet, but I will keep looking!

yeah its a real nice razor, didnt really like it at first due to the long handle and to me a bit more aggressive than the slim on the same setting. For me the slim is on 7 and the BB on 6.

just keep an eye out, i got lucky with both razors and wasnt looking for one or even in the market for one, just came across it and couldnt resist either offer..

good luck

steveclarkus

Goose Poop Connoisseur
Welcome. I have a Christian and Son razor strop from NSW. It is superb and older than I am which makes it very old. Also a couple of Bengall razors so a big thanks to Australia!

You can put a “WTB” request on there.

Thanks Mad Man. I have been pretty busy in the "buying front" so i think i might need to take a break to let my credit cards cool down a little! But thanks for the heads up... and the welcome!

Welcome. I have a Christian and Son razor strop from NSW.

I had to google that. I had no idea that Au made any relevant shaving gear so it was quite a surprise :)

It is superb and older than I am which makes it very old.

lol ... great comment. Even if it is old ... at least you have something that you love and treasure ...and that gives yu joy ... and something that you can pass onto someone else who will hopefully love it as much as you do one day.

I have been lucky that my son has taken a liking to the 'wet shaving" ritual and it has become another thing that we can share...

W
Hi Folks....

I'm very new here so "Hello" to all from "the land down under"!

I decided to sign up after noticing one day that the cost of the replacement cartridges for my razor was almost as much as buying the entire razor in teh first place! Then i remembered that my Dad used a simple DE razor for most of his life and figured i may as well try it as well!

After a bit of "reading up" I'm now happily in the DE wet shave camp. I'm learning heaps, but still getting confused on some things while really enjoying the sense of "pampering & luxury" that a wet shave brings each morning.

To get started i bought myself a restored & replated 1955 (my birth year) Gillette Flare Tip Super Speed DE razor that looks as good as i imagine it looked the day that it came out of the factory in 1955. I also picked up a big bunch of sample blades off Amazon Au. I started with the Derby Extra's because i read somewhere that they were reasonably "forgiving". I'm using a tub of TOBS St James Collection Luxury Shaving Creme, mainly because almost everything else that i looked at seemed to have a sandalwood scent and i have vague memories that sandalwood irritates my nose. I also purchased a small TOBS alum block & styptic stick as well as a Vikings Blades White Knight badger brush. I use Nivea "sensitive" post shave balm and while i have some Col Conk "pre shave oil" i can't actually tell if it makes any difference or whether it simply gets wiped off when i brush on the lather. But I've decided to stick with those basics for a while until i find my feet and get more fo a feel for what I'm doing. I am however on my 3rd shaving bowl and third brush / razor stand - i just can't seem to find the right ones!

Anyway, i hope that there are a few Aussies on here. I'm looking forwards to continuing to learn heaps - and maybe even contribute a little one day!

For some reason i have found a large number of the links on the "Wet shaving instructions and tutorials" section seem to lead to an "OOPs" page. And i can't seem to figure out how to add a signature line. Is that just me?

Stay well and hope to chat again soon.

Welcome from Melbourne mate!

Another Sydneysider! Thanks for the welcome. Have you been collecting razors for a long time?

I only really started wetshaving last year, but have had a box in a cupboard with a few DE razors from years ago, then inherited my Father's DE razors plus Grandad's Bengall straight, so it's probably fair to say that I have had a collection for a few years. Since falling down the rabbit hole, it has increased of course and now the "Straight" rabbit hole is beckoning. That's been a rocky start, especially trying to get a shave ready razor and with the pandemic thing, it's taking time to get stuff from overseas.

Bloody rabbit holes!

Welcome from Melbourne mate!
Nice to hear from a member from Melbourne. Another place (other than Adelaide I mean!) where they play "proper" football!!

I would imagine that Melbourne would be full of vintage shaving gear.... being a more "genteel" brand of folk when compared to Sydneysides :)

Bloody rabbit holes!

I know exactly what you mean. I have approx 40 parcels incoming this month!

Who said wet shaving was cheaper than buying those silly cartridges...

Well if you want to talk "Proper" football, I'm originally from Argentina so... :p
And yeah I think theres a shop or two, I've had some luck with flea markets and was able to score some restoration projects so you don't see me complaining for sure!

40 parcels!? Sheesh, good on you!!

Top Bottom