What's new

Hi from AZ - folliculitis brought me here!

Hi all,

Great forum and support here. I found my way via a Google search after recently being affected by significant spots of folliculitis on my chin, jawline, and neckline. I could really use some thoughts as I am a historic electric shaver and suffer from chronic acne (I am now 35yo)

A little background:
- I have historic sensitive skin and am easily irritated. I found early on that I could almost never apply water to my face or shower after shaving or I would get tons of neckline irritation and redness. Thus, my longterm shaving routine over the past 10 years has been:
No wash/prep, dry shave with Braun Series 9 electric shaver, no post-care because of redness/irritation. I would wait about an hour and then moisturize as this seemed to keep my irritation the least (crazy right?!) I was horrible about always going ATG when I shaved. Knew it wasn't good, but I wanted a close shave and actually never realized that some of the spots on my chin were actually follicle irritation/damage instead of a traditional "breakout".​

- I started a new skincare routine 2 weeks to keep my acne at bay, and in doing so an aesthetician recommended I change to the following shaving routine:
Shower, wash face, shave (dry with Braun Series 9 electric razor), then immediately moisturize.​
I was shocked because it actually really helped my immediate and 24-hr post-shave irritation. HOWEVER, about 2-3 days later my chin area exploded in what I thought was acne but has since been confirmed to be bacterial folliculitis by the dermatologist. I am now taking oral and topical antibiotics to help control this. Derm has recommended some shaving tips, but as typical they aren't very specific or personally tailored to me.

- I haven't shaved in about a week. (I typically shave twice weekly, because of my history with shaving irritation I avoided shaving more frequently). I am here because now I am scared as hell of shaving again! I really don't know what to do. A part of me wants to try switching to a wet shave routine with a DE or SE safety razor, but I know with all of these options there is a big learning curve and upfront investment.

Further, I am worried about using products that will interfere with my other acne care regimen and could cause worsened acne breakouts. I gather most of the posts here that I have seen thus far are from guys without complexion issues and they don't worry about this much. This is much different than my thought process/worry here.

In summary:
I know I need to make long-term shaving routine changes, and maybe it is a change to blade/wet shave that I need.... but I am just unsure of what to do RIGHT NOW.
  • How long can my current hair grow before needing to "trim it" before shaving again? (I have been trying to avoid shaving to allow the folliculitis and skin to recover and heal)
  • Should I try my electric razor again but this time do a wet shave and only go WTG?
  • Should I throw away the electric shaver as of today and just make the switch to blades moving forward and deal with the learning curve?
  • If I move to blades, what investment should I make in terms of a razor, lather, brush, etc? I'm open to whatever I need to buy, but from reading here it sounds like there's a LARGE learning curve and variability here.
I'm at a crossroads of what to do, paralysis by analysis, and the fear of not wanting to make my folliculitis return/worsen and not wanting to worsen my acne program.

Thanks for reading this far. Any advice is welcomed. Appreciate you all.

Welcome to B&B!
I feel any advice I could give would just be shooting in the dark because I don’t have the same shaving challenges you do. The switch to DE shaving has been a positive one for me, but it may not be the same for you. One thing I’m sure about is that this is a good community and there will be folks here who can offer some helpful information. Glad you reached out and I hope you find something that works 💈🖖🏼💈

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Welcome to Badger & Blade! :)

While I don't have issues with acne or bacterial infections on my face, I do suffer from sensitive skin. I am no doctor, but I have to believe that, you getting bacterial infections on your face, has got to be caused by either your face not being clean enough, or your shaving tools not being clean. I am going to lean on the fact it might be your shaving tools.

Do you clean and disinfect your shaving tools? I'd be willing to guess that most don't unless they come to this forum, to learn from other's who do. I think you may want to clean and disinfect your shaving tools often, especially since you are prone to acne and infections. If your still using your Braune series 9 electric shaver, I also recommend lubricating the blades after cleaning with some clipper shaver oil.

I've heard they are safe on your face because they are vegetable based, not petroleum based oils, so thats a good thing. As far as the sensitive skin bit, its always a good idea to pre-treat your face with some shave gel, I use the non foaming type, such as the stuff in the green bottle from Tomb45. After shaving, I apply a thin layer of skin lotian with vitamin E in it, its really good for the skin.

Again, I am no expert by any means, I am still learning just as you are. But hopefully what I have said helps? Good luck!

Hi and welcome to B&B, I’m no help with your medical conditions but maybe a little one with getting started :)

Not shaving for 2-3 days is good as it allows you to map your beard (looking at your growth pattern). Have a look into the sticky threads and the shave wiki. There is a print out available where you can mark the growth direction of your beard.

This map will make it easier with the whole WTG/XTG/ATG.

I‘m the first to advocate for a DE safety razor but if you are not sure about the investment I would start with an excellent single blade disposable like the Bic Metal.

I believe it is more important to switch to proper lather for softening your whiskers than any expensive hardware.

Some simple shaving cream like Speick or Proraso White or Blue, a small bowl and a cheap Synthetic brush will set you straight.

How does your Skin reacts to Aftershave? If the alcohol is too much look for alcohol free Witch Hazel Toner or a Balm (somebody will have a suggestion here as I don’t use them) and some moisturizer after the initial dry down.

How does your Skin reacts to Aftershave? If the alcohol is too much look for alcohol free Witch Hazel Toner or a Balm (somebody will have a suggestion here as I don’t use them) and some moisturizer after the initial dry down.
Thanks for the time and post.

I have been curious about trying the proraso as well as witch hazel. I hope it would be tolerated well by my skin - and some even say it helps with their acne (WH specifically).

The derm told me to washe my face, then apply a Cerave lotion very thickly (ie dont rub it in) to my face and use that as my "shaving cream".

Trying to decide what to try.

But I do think the suggestion for a single blade razor is the one I lean towards the most. My Braun Series 9 foil razor is cleaned in an alcohol solution after every shave (using the automatic cleaner that came with the razor). I haven't purchased a new blade yet and it's been over 2 years, so that would likely be a wise thing to do. At this point though, I am trying to decide if instead of doing that I should just use this as my switch to blade razors.

Thanks for the time and post.

I have been curious about trying the proraso as well as witch hazel. I hope it would be tolerated well by my skin - and some even say it helps with their acne (WH specifically).

The derm told me to washe my face, then apply a Cerave lotion very thickly (ie dont rub it in) to my face and use that as my "shaving cream".

Trying to decide what to try.

But I do think the suggestion for a single blade razor is the one I lean towards the most. My Braun Series 9 foil razor is cleaned in an alcohol solution after every shave (using the automatic cleaner that came with the razor). I haven't purchased a new blade yet and it's been over 2 years, so that would likely be a wise thing to do. At this point though, I am trying to decide if instead of doing that I should just use this as my switch to blade razors.
People here have tried pretty everything for shaving (hair conditioner, bar soap, olive oil etc.) so why not a skin lotion.

You want to soften your whiskers and protect/cushion your skin from the blade. Using a light hand is a must anyway, knowing in which direction your beard grows is a big help as well.

In contrast to most/all? other disposables the Bic has a metal safety bar that will glide easily over your skin without scraping and the blade is on the upper end in regards to sharpness.

BE3959CD-D43F-4E1F-ABF9-5AA9FF7E1590.jpeg

Welcome to the forum!

I live in New Mexico (dry climate) and thought I had sensitive skin, but what I found is that my skin sensitivity was really due to razor irritation.

In cartridge and electric shaving, I used to use pressure to get the blade close enough to the skin to actually cut the hair. What I have found is that in DE shaving, for good results, the key is not to use pressure but rather the angle of the razor's head. In other words, in DE shaving, the goal is to let the blade do the work as you glide the razor's head across the skin at the correct angle.

Also, I have found it's important to have good pre-shave preparation. You want to use something that provides a good slickness to allow the razor to glide and let the blade do the cutting. I found that about 3 drops of Shave Secret oil (about $4 at Walmart) along with a good shave cream or gel (but not the canned aerosol stuff) provides a good slickness. Many also use a shave brush, which does a really nice job of spreading shave soap, gel, or cream on your skin.

I have only been DE shaving for about a month or so, but since I have improved my DE shaving technique, my skin sensitivity has basically gone away. DE shaving also seems to help greatly with reducing the ingrown hairs.

The nice part is you don't have to spend a lot to get a decent DE razor: I bought the Van Der Hagen (you can get at Walmart or Target) short-handle for about $15-20 or so. It is a very good clone of a 1960s-era Gillette Super Speed razor that has minimal blade exposure and worked well for me as a beginner.

Regarding blades: You might try buying a blade sampler to find the blades that work best for you. There's also the March blade PIF available for new members.

I think a DE razor and good pre-shave prep could really help, and it's not expensive to give it a try.

I’m lucky that I don’t really suffer from irritation or other problems, but the only time I remember having irritation after shaving was after using an electric razor I had years ago. If that gives me irritation, I think that could at least be one source of some problems.

I read something a while ago that showed how most(all?) electric razors work is by pulling the hair and cutting to give a close shave. But this action also means it cuts too low and leaves hairs growing under the skin.

A lot of people with sensitive skin have wound up shaving with a straight razor, because it offers the most control. You can see the edge at all times, so while there're plenty of skills you need to build, you can build them to a very high level, because you fully control and see exactly what is going on when edge meets skin.

If you are inclined to get started on that road, there's plenty of help available here.

I'm going to take a step back from the shave itself, and suggest you try Dial Basic soap for face and body wash. Hypoallergenic, no perfumes, tallow based. I switched to it for my shower soap and pre-shave face wash and it helps my skin, although I don't have issues as significant as yours.

Dial Basic is available at Dollar Tree, two bars for $1.25.

A wet shave with a mild razor, sensitive skin products like Proraso white, a very light touch (no pressure) on the razor, and you may find some relief.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
If you're set on trying wet shaving, based on your condition, I would get a shave soap that's simple and unscented. There are a number of them on the market. I don't have any so I couldn't recommend one. The closest I have to a simple, unscented shave soap is Mitchell's Wool Fat.

Wishing you success in your wet shaving endeavors.

Unless you find someone on this forum who is a dermatologist or has the same condition as you, I think you're risking severe consequences if you take any general advice here.
Bacterial folliculitis is a condition where staph bacteria, which live ordinarily on human skin, enter the skin through cuts or wounds.
If you shave dry with an electric and press too hard, you irritate the skin and damage or remove some of the protective layer of the epidermis. This raw skin will allow the bacteria to enter, producing redness. If you do this to skin immediately surrounding a follicle, the bacteria can enter the follicle and infect it (folliculitis), leading to an immune response and consequent pus eruption.
The skin protrudes when a hair is erupting and this is the worst time to shave because a blade will cut or even lop off that protrusion. Since hairs grow at different rates, you're right to wait at least 2-3 days before shaving again. Some men use hot towels to relax skin before shaving, but this can irritate an acne problem.
Any bleeding produced whilst shaving is the perfect environment for bacteria. Water on your face after shaving also promotes bacterial growth, as can many lotions. That's why I think the advice to put on moisturiser immediately after shaving was wrong.
Your skin (or immune system), isn't very good at warding off staph by itself. So you have to be extra vigilant. You already learned to wait an hour after shaving before applying moisturiser, to allow your irritated skin time to "close up" and heal. Your skin also rehydrates itself from within by exuding a natural oil. Initially this oil forms a protective mantle against bacteria but over time it builds up and needs to be washed off, especially if you're prone to acne.
Thus, it should be safe to wash your face before shaving and is also advisable because it makes shaving easier and less irritating. With acne, you should probably wash your face in cold water.
You may want to try a pre-electric shave lotion like Williams before using the electric. It lubricates the face and the razor glides over the skin with minimal irritation. I find it needs to be washed or at least rinsed off afterwards, but perhaps after patting your face gently with a clean towel, you could try blow-drying your face completely dry. This would immediately remove any lingering moisture before bacteria can proliferate in it. Any skin lotion you later put on may need to be hypoallergenic or even antibacterial.
If you can learn to shave successfully with an electric, consider that a victory. Using a blade will not solve your problems if it irritates, scrapes or cuts your skin.

If you opt to wet shave, you'll probably want to consider a synthetic brush instead of an animal hair brush. Synthetic hair brushes are reported to be more hypoallergenic than animal hair brushes. (However, I'm fortunate enough not to have to worry about the hair in my brushes causing a bad reaction, so I have only ever used boar and badger brushes.)

As for soaps, I'm a fan of the Proraso white croap. According to the packaging, it's intended for sensitive skin. I'm not sure if that's just marketing hype or if it really is better for sensitive skin.

Cella Extra Extra Bio shave cream is also supposed to be for sensitive skin. Again, I'm not sure if this is marketing or hype.

In any case, good luck with your shaves. May you find something that doesn't irritate your skin.

JCarr

More Deep Thoughts than Jack Handy
Unless you find someone on this forum who is a dermatologist or has the same condition as you, I think you're risking severe consequences if you take any general advice here.

This is a good point...what does your doctor say?

If you decide to go with a safety razor, don’t shave against the grain, at least not until you’re sure your skin can tolerate it. After shaving, I can’t tolerate most balms or lotions until a couple hours later. I use, and would recommend, an alcohol-based aftershave splash. It’s killing off gems at an important point where everything needs to close up and heal. You can moisturize later.
I’d also stick with one of the splashes with few ingredients: alcohol, witch hazel, glycerine and a fragrance oil that agrees with you (the term “fragrance” can be squishy as an ingredient).
Good luck!

I appreciate your thoughtful reply - and your words are well taken.

You provide good perspective, especially regarding the staph and breeding grounds for bacteria depending on my shaving routine. To eliminate my variables initially, maybe it would be best to continue using my electric shaver (for now), but still make a few changes:
1 - Continue with a pre-shave facewash, which I was not doing prior to my recent change and resultant folliculitis.
2 - Continue shaving with the electric foil razor, BUT only go WTG and add a pre-shave lubricant like Williams or otherwise.
3 - Try a WitchHazel toner/astringent immediately after a shave (instead of just a rinse) as a way to limit bacterial proliferation during this important time period of skin vulnerability.
4 - Wait to moisturize and perform the rest of my skincare routine for ~1 hour like I had done previously which seemed to historically be the least irritating on my sensitive skin.

I could see where this takes me after the first few shaves and if I am still having issues I could strongly consider switching to a SE razor or true "wet shave" setup.

Thoughts?

Top Bottom