What's new

Hi everyone!

****Note****
Sorry, but this is going to be a bit of a long post. I just want to make a formal introduction and get to know the community.

Hey everyone! my name is Mitch and I just joined this forum after lurking for a while and I must say, it is by far the best collection of knowledge I have seen yet and this forum is highly reccomended everywhere else. One of the main reasons I joined is the atmosphere and quality of people posting here. Some of the other forums I looked at had a bunch of existing members beating up on newbies and/or were unhelpful in nearly every regard in addition to lacking a bunch of information. I have read the stickies and like the policies that are enforced here as well. If you have any questions of me I will do my best to answer them. I look foward to spending time on this forum and as always, happy shaving!

A few things I should probably put out. I have never personally used a DE or straight razor but I have paid many times at babershops all over the world for the service and have found it to be one of the most enjoyable experiences on trips. after reading through much of this forum I decided to take the plunge and invest in the equipment to do it myself. I am active duty military (please, hold your applause until the end) so I would say I have more of a "hate" relationship with shaving after several years of disposables and electrics. Whether it is my daily shave at home, or cold shaving using a water bottle and a truck mirror I have experienced both ends of the spectrum. So, as I draw near to the end of my current trip away from home, I have been purchasing some supplies and now eagerly await my return. After much reading on this forum as well as my research I feel that I have managed to put together a fairly decent starter set. (please let me know of any other reccomendations you may have)

Here is what I have so far.

A Lion brand Yankee cutlery no. 601 straight razor (decent shape but will need restoration. )
A DF8 custom HRC cutlery damascus straight razor (the price was very suspicious but they have a return policy)
Proraso Shaving Soap
3 in. x 21 in. leather shaving strop
razor and brush stand
Bellus badger hair brush
Stainless steel insulated shave cup
Barberry Shave Co. bay rum aftershave.

All this was just under 150.00 ( just wanted to mention this, as most complete starter sets I saw for sale were slightly higher than what I paid purchasing everything individually)

Now, a disclaimer. After reading around, I know how much you all hate EBAY (yes, I said it) but, I did my research and feel that I made a fairly good choice. (if not, please let me know before I begin!) as stated previously, the Yankee seems good and the reviews were positive on the web. I followed the advice on this forum for purchasing old blades and looked over the many pictures very very carefully. plus, it was 12 bucks so the restoration cost wont be so hard to swallow and I already have a company lined up to do the work. The other one I am very suspicious about. If the description is an accurate representation of what I recieve, then it should be a good blade. But call me crazy, 50 bucks for a hand forged damascus blade seems too good to be true. But, with a bulletproof return policy I decided to take a chance. I will be sure to let you know how it works out. I also have a line on a company that specializes in straight razor hones so hopefully my wife can have them done before I get back. (we will see) I cannot wait to see how this turns out and I will be keeping a journal over on the newbie page to track my progress.

Mitch

Welcome Mitch. I'm not sure if people hate ebay, but many of us have learned to be quite cautious. Sometimes you get lucky, sometimes not.

Welcome aboard, Mitch!!

Thank you for your service :thumbup:

Stepping up to the big league and going with a straight right away is commendable. There are plenty of people here willing to help you figure it out along the way, so don't be shy about asking any questions you have along the way.

Thanks guys! and I know what you mean about the wallet, ouch! but I did the math and the way I figure it right now, I am spending somewhere in the ballpark of 100-120 dollars a year in disposable cartridges as well as electric refills. So, in about 1.5 years I will be breaking even and everything after that is in the black. (unless I get into the collecting part. some of the members' blades are truly beautiful!) my grandfather used to shave with a straight razor, and there is something about it that is hard to quantify. But, I plan to make the permenent switch when my proficiency is as such that I no longer have to depend on disposables.

proxy.php

Welcome to B&B

$down_the_rabbit_hole-40905.gif

Drop into the Shave Wiki and read over some of the shaving articles. http://wiki.badgerandblade.com/ You will find a LOT of useful info in there.

If you have not already done so, stop into the Hall of Fame and tell everyone a little about yourself

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/forumdisplay.php/30-Hall-of-Fame

Thanks everyone for the warm welcome! I will be sure to fill out a profile in the hall of fame shortly. I have spent probably close to 15 hrs over the past couple days just going through all the information I could find since I finally decided to commit to a straight razor, and I must say, the wealth of knowledge that has accumulated here is tremendous! and just to think, I have barely scratched the surface. you never fail to dissapoint! thankyou again!

mswofford

Rest in Peace
Welcome Mitch; Nothing wrong with eBay; You just have to be careful and check seller's feedback then pick the good ones.

Thanks guys! and I know what you mean about the wallet, ouch! but I did the math and the way I figure it right now, I am spending somewhere in the ballpark of 100-120 dollars a year in disposable cartridges as well as electric refills. So, in about 1.5 years I will be breaking even and everything after that is in the black. (unless I get into the collecting part. some of the members' blades are truly beautiful!) my grandfather used to shave with a straight razor, and there is something about it that is hard to quantify. But, I plan to make the permenent switch when my proficiency is as such that I no longer have to depend on disposables.
Thats why we are here, so you can make the switch as need be.

Top Bottom