What's new

Hi Everyone!

For chuckles and grins, Nick and I spent about $7,000 on ingredients and about a two years of time and concocted what we feel is the "ultimate" soap - but it has a massive list of ingredients, has to be made in incredibly small batches, and due to the ingredients, is shockingly expensive - 4-5X what most soaps are retailing for - just for the hard costs of the ingredients. We sent a bunch out to friends on the forum and such, but never did anything further with it as a result of the tremendous cost.

So...how about offering us B&Bers some of this concoction?

Thank you all for your input. My whole purpose is to find out what it is that "rocks your world" in a shave soap...and I will come up with something that will meet that. I am in the process of becoming one of the vendors and have put in my application and will have to discuss my products in that group, so as not to advertise, outside of that group. In the meantime, I will continue to gather as much info as I can and would appreciate also knowing what scents you enjoy.

Joel, I also wanted to comment regarding your statement about purchasing all the ingredients, to the tune to $7,000 and seeing how expensive it is to create the "ultimate soap". Welcome to my world. That is why the pucks are the prices that they are. You get what you pay for. If you want an outstanding, superior product, you pay the price. You got to see that first hand. Aside from the $7,000 ingredients, I wonder if you calculated your time for labor and the overhead that it took to make the creation.

For me, I get such a joy in creation. To have someone love what I make, is a "rush". Nothing like it.

Thank you all for your input. My whole purpose is to find out what it is that "rocks your world" in a shave soap...and I will come up with something that will meet that. I am in the process of becoming one of the vendors and have put in my application and will have to discuss my products in that group, so as not to advertise, outside of that group. In the meantime, I will continue to gather as much info as I can and would appreciate also knowing what scents you enjoy.

Joel, I also wanted to comment regarding your statement about purchasing all the ingredients, to the tune to $7,000 and seeing how expensive it is to create the "ultimate soap". Welcome to my world. That is why the pucks are the prices that they are. You get what you pay for. If you want an outstanding, superior product, you pay the price. You got to see that first hand. Aside from the $7,000 ingredients, I wonder if you calculated your time for labor and the overhead that it took to make the creation.

For me, I get such a joy in creation. To have someone love what I make, is a "rush". Nothing like it.

Hi Habie,
We're talking about completely a different cost basis. Your "Ultimate Luxury Soaps" are $7-8 per cake, retail. Our $7,000 expenditure provided us with enough raw materials to make 175 cakes of soap. Do the math on the raw ingredient cost, and you'll see we're talking something wildly different.

Your soaps have no chirally corrected ingredients, have no organic ingredients, have no pro-vitamins, no mallows, extracts, etc - and have color and fragrance oils added to them (a big faux pas for high quality soap). Understanding what's needed to provide proper lubrication, whilst still providing adequate lather, in a product which will sooth ones face, not cause skin reactions, not be overly fat laden and non comedogenic (it's easy to make a soap which will result in acne and oily skin), and be badger friendly? Impossible? Clearly not... but I think there more to it than meets the eye :001_smile

I'm certain you'll come up with something great - and you sure aren't the type to give up easy, so I can't wait to see what's in store from Habie Rose!

So...how about offering us B&Bers some of this concoction?

As stated, a few years ago we provided some to a group of fellas on the forum gratis, for chuckles and grins - there are threads about it. We thought about doing something on a regular basis, but the cost was prohibitive... $40 or so per cake of soap is pretty steep, and that's in raw cost. Nick and I aren't retailers and have no interest in shipping out a bunch of items and when we looked at possible retailers to carry it (so we could have it distributed by a retailer - so we didn't have to ship/sell it) we found the industry standard is a 35%-50% profit margin - which would put the price at upwards of $80... and that's without us making a penny, yet we'd have to spend hours making the stuff and that cost didn't include packaging. We looked at contract manufacturers, and based on the number of ingredients involved and the process of making it, the costs would be even greater, thus making it wildly unrealistic to ever bring to the public.

We have ingredients sitting around we haven't used, so we've talked about making a few batches just to get rid of all of it, but the jiist is, there are no plans to ever bring it to market on a regular basis.

Eventually when I get around to it, I plan on posting some soap making tutorials, basic recipes and sources to buy the best stuff.

Hi Habie,

Your soaps have no chirally corrected ingredients, have no organic ingredients, have no pro-vitamins, no mallows, extracts, etc - and have color and fragrance oils added to them (a big faux pas for high quality soap). Understanding what's needed to provide proper lubrication, whilst still providing adequate lather, in a product which will sooth ones face, not cause skin reactions, not be overly fat laden and non comedogenic (it's easy to make a soap which will result in acne and oily skin), and be badger friendly? Impossible? Clearly not... but I think there more to it than meets the eye :001_smile

I'm certain you'll come up with something great - and you sure aren't the type to give up easy, so I can't wait to see what's in store from Habie Rose!

Yes, but those are regular soaps. They aren't shaving soaps. When you go to a market, you find that your typical soap buyer will not care if you have organic oils in your regular soaps. They want to smell strong scented soaps, with pretty colors that lather well. A good soaper can formulate for any market; for those who want organic or unscented or natual colors, essential oils, etc.I couldn easily add extract and chirally correct ingredients, etc ...but why would I put all of that in a "wash off" product and have to charge an enormous price for the soap. You save all of that to put in the facial serums, creams, lotions, etc. I saw a high end bar online for $20 and they had basic ingredients...yet they were considered high end. I saw another high end bar for $14...same thing--basic. I have plenty of extracts...but I wouldn't put them in regular soaps. We shall see what I can come up with. I'll continue to study and see what it is that you expert shavers want and I will try to create that ;-)

Edited to correct some typos.

Last edited:
There's a few threads on these soaps: here and here.

Thank you so much, Aaron! This site is so delicious, I could just take a bite out of it. I could spend hours reading. I don't have quite that much time, but will read as much as I can, when I can. Thanks again. You have all been so helpful.

My only comment is; it's hard to find a serious shaver who doesn't use a badger hair brush, or at least a boar brush, at least from what I've read. Therefore, I seriously doubt the majority of serious shavers (people likely to buy shaving soaps and creams) would care about animal ingredients in their soaps or not.

But logic is oft proven wrong :001_rolle

Actually, they were shaving soaps Joel and Nick made.

I meant mine were regular soaps, in response to his statement that my soaps (not shaving soaps) do not having chirally correct ingredients, mallow, extracts, etc. I was stating that I would not put those types of ingredients in a regular wash off product and thus my soaps do not contain them. It would be like throwing money down the shower drain. Shaving soaps, on the other hand will be formulated for the desired results...non irritating, slick glide, good lather. They will/do contain extracts, herbs, and more feel good on the face stuff. I have a good formula, already, but I am going to tweak it and that is the reason I am looking for input. I want to know what you want so that I can create what you want in a shave soap and make a better and more better product. I don't use any melt and pour. Everything is formulated and handmade from scratch. Being that I am the formulator, I have the ability to create it many different ways...unscented, fragrance oils, essential oils, different types of clays and more to meet your needs. So...just let me know and let me put on my lab jacket and get to formulatin'

My only comment is; it's hard to find a serious shaver who doesn't use a badger hair brush, or at least a boar brush, at least from what I've read. Therefore, I seriously doubt the majority of serious shavers (people likely to buy shaving soaps and creams) would care about animal ingredients in their soaps or not.

But logic is oft proven wrong :001_rolle

You're absolutely right! I didn't even think about that.

Top Bottom