What's new

Hi Everyone!

I couldn't find a specific place to introduce myself, so I hope I am not in the wrong place. I am a soapmaker and owner of The Habie Rose Collection. I have joined Badger & Blade so that I can interact with you all to find out exactly what you are looking for in your shaving soaps. I am the designer/formulator/creator of luxury handmade soaps, to include shaving soaps. I want to learn more of what your particular needs are, as I have the ability to formulate and test to make sure I can offer the best of the best. The formula that I have now is great, with lather peaks over 15 minutes, but if I can make a better shave soap, then I want to do that. I am a perfectionist and I am here to learn from you. Can you give me a list of the properties you are seeking in the best shaving soap you can dream up? I will work toward making that happen. Thank you and Happy New Year!

Welcome to the good ship B&B.

Since you are a manufacturer and seller of soaps you might want to contact one of our mods concerning vendors on our site. We have many really good vendors that are on our site and support us as we do them.

Thank you. I hope I'm not out of line. I am trying to find my way around the forum and the rules. I've been reading rules but have not gotten through everything, yet.

Edited to add...I would just like to learn what the best qualities are that you all want in a shaving soap. I won't join the vendor group until later. I am information gathering, right now.

Last edited:
Thank you so much! A very warm welcome.

Mr. Scruffy...a question for you. Palm oil is frequently substituted for tallow. I guess there are many who do not like animal products in their soaps and palm has a very close saponfication value. My question is have you tried the soaps with palm as a tallow sub and if so, do you feel a difference?

GDCarrington, at times I use aloe juice in the place of distilled water I have also added aloe powder. It makes a brown soap, but a very nice one.

Okay...so far, I have tallow, lanolin and aloe. Any more? She's making her list and checking it twice.

Edited to add...lime is one of my favs, too. I use it a lot.

Okay...I am seeing that that tallow and lanolin are really big. Can anyone explain what feel you are getting from the tallow and lanolin that is making it so popular? Is it the conditioning feel after the shave, which I suspect? I currently use a lot of exotic oils and butters, which provides those properties, but will formulate to include these additions to see if I get a different or even better feel.

I just reread the posts and see where GDCarrington has listed lanolin for moisturizing. Understood.

Last edited:
Okay...I am seeing that that tallow and lanolin are really big. Can anyone explain what feel you are getting from the tallow and lanolin that is making it so popular? Is it the conditioning feel after the shave, which I suspect? I currently use a lot of exotic oils and butters, which provides those properties, but will formulate to include these additions to see if I get a different or even better feel.

You pretty much hit the nail on the head. However, I find that Tallow and Lanolin formulas lather nicer for me. Also I have found that it does not clog my pores and is pretty slick while shaving. Hope this helps

Yes, thank you. Tallow is a wonderful latherer. I have not used it much, though, because so many prefer non-animal products, of which both tallow and lanolin are. I, personally, love them both and now that I know many of you love them, as well, I will make many different kinds of shave soaps...with and without. Would any of you be interested in or have you tried lard pucks? Like tallow, lard makes a great lathering soap.

Luc

"To Wiki or Not To Wiki, That's The Question".
Staff member
Welcome to B&B!

The Shave Clinic is a better place to introduce yourself but nothing to worry, it's all right that you did it here. In regards of your business, I will send you a PM shortly.

Hi Habie,
I don't intend to be a buzz kill in the slightest, but before you ask too many questions, i'd highly suggest you stop, take a look around and do a little research here on the forums. There are dozens of soap makers here on the forum, who have been soliciting feedback, doing tests, refining formulas, etc for 5+ years here in our community, with many of them offering soaps at $6 or less per cake, which lasts nearly 1 year of use. We see a lot of soapers come in, request assistance on the "best properties" to make soap - then run like hell when the see the competition, the prices, the inflated market, the time involved in developing a quality formula, etc :lol:

Again - not trying to be a buzz kill, but as a vendor, clearly you're looking to make money and with this community, the barriers to entry and the competition are mighty high, and the considerations one must have in making shaving soap is a little different. For instance, if you make a killer soap which does a great job, moisturizes my face beautifully, smells good and rocks my world, yet destroys or coats my $500 badger hair brush, naturally, i'm going to hit the wall.

I guess what i'm saying is, research the market (there's everything you could ever want/need already here) sample the competition, and then proceed fully educated. Asking fellas what ingredients they want in soap isn't going to prove to be helpful, as 99% of the fellas here don't make soap and don't know what ingredient is used for what, possible alternatives (inferior and superior) benefits, drawbacks, etc.

You'll get these responses: Tallow, Lanolin, Menthol - and that's about it. Some of the best soaps out there don't have any of the three aforementioned items... but they're some of the most popular ingredients, and admittedly they're good ones, but most fellas don't know/realize, they're used because they're inexpensive and efficacious. There are vastly superior ingredients and substitutes to tallow/lanolin, yet manufacturers and soapers don't use them due to cost.

For chuckles and grins, Nick and I spent about $7,000 on ingredients and about a two years of time and concocted what we feel is the "ultimate" soap - but it has a massive list of ingredients, has to be made in incredibly small batches, and due to the ingredients, is shockingly expensive - 4-5X what most soaps are retailing for - just for the hard costs of the ingredients. We sent a bunch out to friends on the forum and such, but never did anything further with it as a result of the tremendous cost.

Long rant short, i'd order some soaps from Saint Charles Shave, Mama Bear, The Gentleman's Quarter and others. If you can make something better than what they've concocted at a comparable price, then Habie - I WANT TO TRY IT! I'll even post up a review to the community. :thumbup:

Just don't burn my face off with lye, or mess up my expensive badger brush :lol:

Hi Habie,
I don't intend to be a buzz kill in the slightest, but before you ask too many questions, i'd highly suggest you stop, take a look around and do a little research here on the forums. There are dozens of soap makers here on the forum, who have been soliciting feedback, doing tests, refining formulas, etc for 5+ years here in our community, with many of them offering soaps at $6 or less per cake, which lasts nearly 1 year of use. You're not a buzz kill at all. But it is not my intention to piggy back on anyone else's research. I need to conduct my own. I've been testing and refining formulas for a number of years now.

We see a lot of soapers come in, request assistance on the "best properties" to make soap - then run like hell when the see the competition, the prices, the inflated market, the time involved in developing a quality formula, etc :lol:
Believe me...I won't run. I am confident and competition does not frighten me. I welcome the challenge.

Again - not trying to be a buzz kill, but as a vendor, clearly you're looking to make money Absolutely, but money is not what it is all about. It is also about caring about your product and the feeling of pride that someone likes what you offer and the fact that you are able to do that. If it was just about money...I would be bored. Money, for me, is second to the enjoyment of the creation. ...and with this community, the barriers to entry and the competition are mighty high, and the considerations one must have in making shaving soap is a little different. For instance, if you make a killer soap which does a great job, moisturizes my face beautifully, smells good and rocks my world, yet destroys or coats my $500 badger hair brush, naturally, i'm going to hit the wall. If you know which oils coat or destroy your brush, you should not purchase that soap. The ingredients should be readily available for you to peruse on the site you purchase it from.

I guess what i'm saying is, research the market (there's everything you could ever want/need already here) sample the competition, and then proceed fully educated. Asking fellas what ingredients they want in soap isn't going to prove to be helpful, as 99% of the fellas here don't make soap and don't know what ingredient is used for what, possible alternatives (inferior and superior) benefits, drawbacks, etc.

You'll get these responses: Tallow, Lanolin, Menthol - and that's about it. Some of the best soaps out there don't have any of the three aforementioned items... but they're some of the most popular ingredients, and admittedly they're good ones, but most fellas don't know/realize, they're used because they're inexpensive and efficacious.

There are vastly superior ingredients and substitutes to tallow/lanolin, yet manufacturers and soapers don't use them due to cost. I do. My focus is the product.

For chuckles and grins, Nick and I spent about $7,000 on ingredients and about a two years of time and concocted what we feel is the "ultimate" soap - but it has a massive list of ingredients, has to be made in incredibly small batches, and due to the ingredients, is shockingly expensive - 4-5X what most soaps are retailing for - just for the hard costs of the ingredients. We sent a bunch out to friends on the forum and such, but never did anything further with it as a result of the tremendous cost. That is a chuckle, but believe me. I understand that cost. Try over 20K.

Long rant short, i'd order some soaps from Saint Charles Shave, Mama Bear, The Gentleman's Quarter and others. If you can make something better than what they've concocted at a comparable price, then Habie - I WANT TO TRY IT! I'll even post up a review to the community. :thumbup:

Just don't burn my face off with lye, or mess up my expensive badger brush :lol:

Your'e funny! But my sentiments, exactly. Nice meeting you Joel. Fun chatting. I enjoyed this.

Welcome to B&B.

I am one of those individuals who likes to experiment with soaps. First, I ahve NO problem using animal products or any other product as long as it gives me a smooth shave.

Good luck on your venture.

Welcome to B&B! Like the others I would say durability lasting properties,glide,skin, clean aromas,and I guess skin conditioning properties would rank at the top mf my list. Wil you be offering creams as well as soaps? In any case I wish you luck with your endeavor. do you currently have shave soaps available?

Top Bottom