What's new

Hi everyone!

Just wanted to say a quick hello to everyone out there, me being a new guy and all. I've been a wet shaver since I started shaving. I remember learning when I was little by my father taking the blade out of an old D/E gillette and having me copy him as he shaved (probably how most learned). I haven't had the guts to take up a straight yet, but I'm working way up to it...eventually. I recently put together a cheap starter kit for my stepson of 19 and then taught him the ritual before I sent him out on his way and hopefully he will stick with it.

Furthermore, I haven't had the time to read every thread and every post yet (but I'm working on it) and I have a few questions for the masses out there:

What are some really good blades? I've always just used the cheap generic ones at the local drug store however, recently I've started to get some pretty bad rashes and burns and I figure that it has got to be the blades. I haven't really changed anything else in about 15 or so years. Also, I don't want my son to give it up because of an inferior shave either.

And speaking of rashes...what is the best treatment out there? Not something that I'll have to order (and wait days or weeks for) but something that I can run to the local walgreens and get of the shelf.

I'd appreaciate any and all help here. From the looks of things, I've been going about this in the wrong way for a long time. Hehehe...stubborness, ya got to love it sometimes.

Thanks to all

Rusty, welcome to B&B and thanks for sharing your history.

A lot of us use Merkur blades, which you generally have to mail order. They are sharp and very consistent blade to blade. Very comfortable shavers. There are also Feather blades, which I personally find inconsistent, but are the sharpest thing out there. Others I am sure will chime in with other suggestions.

For razor burn remedies that can be had locally, you can try a 100% aloe gel, available at drugstores, whole food markets, etc.

Scotto said:
Rusty, welcome to B&B and thanks for sharing your history.

A lot of us use Merkur blades, which you generally have to mail order. They are sharp and very consistent blade to blade. Very comfortable shavers. There are also Feather blades, which I personally find inconsistent, but are the sharpest thing out there. Others I am sure will chime in with other suggestions.

For razor burn remedies that can be had locally, you can try a 100% aloe gel, available at drugstores, whole food markets, etc.

Rusty, welcome to the forum. I look forward to your participation. I agree with Scotto on his recommendations. You may also want to try Thayer Orginal Witch Hazel with Aloe Vera. You can find it at CVS, Walgreens, etc.

Thanks guys for the input...also on blades does anyone know anything about the ones that are selling on Ebay (Derby & Zorrick, etc.)? Are they any good, or am I just cutting corners here again?

Rusty Shackleford said:
Thanks guys for the input...also on blades does anyone know anything about the ones that are selling on Ebay (Derby & Zorrick, etc.)? Are they any good, or am I just cutting corners here again?

I don't know about cutting corners, but the cost of blades (for most gents) can run as little as $.08 and as high as $.60. Remember that the price of the blades is not always indicative of their quality.
You'll find a few folks who thrive on blades that most gents wouldn't use to line a county landfill. So what does that mean? Part of the blade equation is personal preference. Further, your beard and skin, the quality of your preparations, and the exposure provided by your razor, along with your personal (changing) level of skill with a DE all play a major part in how well the blade seems to perfrom.
I use three different brands of blade. They vary in price from $.149 up $.55. Why three? When I (re)started wet shaving a few years ago, the merchant from whom I purchased my kit sold two brands and advised I try both. The third brand, I found locally and after determining (by use) that they were adequate to the task, I continue to purchase occassionally for convenience.
Now, with all of that said, I have heard of Israeli "Personas," Indian Gillettes, Russian Gillettes, Swedish Gillettes, Derby, Zorric, etc, etc, etc... If you would like bragging rights on how cheap your blades are, there are plenty of CHEAP baldes out there. Will they last for a week's worth of shaves? Will they shear without irritation? Will they provide the closeness you desire with the comfort you demand? Only you can really answer that.
My recommendation would be to buy a 10-pack of Merkurs. Learn to use them and then make a fun pastime of trying and comparing other brands of blades to the Merkurs. BTW, this is not meant facetiously. Part of the pleasure of shaving can be becoming a connosieur of blades, or creams, or razors, or balms, or soaps... Here is the perfect opportunity to turn drudgery into a pastime, hobby, or even fun. :w00t:

Rusty:

Welcome!! QED's a great place to stock up on shaving supplies and they carry Merkur blades as does Em's place.

Classicshaving carries Feather blades which tend to be a little more difficult to find.

Like Austin said, I'd give the Merkur's and/or Feather's a chance before going with the Derby or Zorricks.

The Thayer's witch hazel may be just what the doctor ordered to cool the burn!

Jerry

Rusty, are you sure it's a rash? I thought that's what I was getting, so I went to the dermatologist and it turns out I had major ingrown hair issues (that's about when I took up DE shaving). I now keep ingrowns to a minimum by shaving with or across the grain (never against) and by changing the blade twice a week.

Of course, if it really is a rash, forget everything I just said. :blush:

Mike

Thanks everyone for the info...from what I've learned and read everywhere I'm going to go for the Merker blades and then go on from there. As for the rash, I've got some witch hazel and it seems to be doing the job, I've skipped shaving today and I'll try it tomorrow and see what happens. I can't thank you guys enough and am so glad that I happened onto this site.

Top Bottom