What's new

Hi everybody! DE newbie here

Hi all, I am nearly a convert to DE shaving but haven't had the experience yet (I have done tons of research on the subject though lol). My shaving up till now has been mostly electric (Norelco 9300) and further back the Gillette Mach3 Nitro. Hoping to develop a routine to coincide with my personal development and have become fascinated by DE razors. I've been looking around to see what to start with along with the needed accessories. If it's ok to just ask some questions:

1. I typically shave every other day and when I do shave, there's a considerable amount of dense stubble. What style of shaver should I go for (Closed/Open, Aggressive)? Currently I'm torn between the Edwin Jagger DE89Lbl, Parker 96R, Vikingblades Godfather, and anything else that might be more effective at shaving. Not to mention the blades (Persona/Astra?)

2. Of the two I mentioned, I really like the handle for the Parker 96R but I've read many times that it's liable to have the blade uncentered or come loose due to the loosening of the twist nob. Is it a common issue for TTOs?

3. Lastly, how well does a DE razor handle acne? Does it just slice on through?

Thanks again and hope to be shaving like yall soon :D

Welcome to B&B. I would suggest the EJ de89 with the Astra sp blade for beginners. For me the best time to shave is after I shower when my beard is still hydrated. Use a shaving soap or cream for best results. You can also use Creemo if you don't have a brush yet, it is a very good brushless cream. Feel free to ask any questions you might have.

Welcome to B&B. I would suggest the EJ de89 with the Astra sp blade for beginners. For me the best time to shave is after I shower when my beard is still hydrated. Use a shaving soap or cream for best results. You can also use Creemo if you don't have a brush yet, it is a very good brushless cream. Feel free to ask any questions you might have.

I agree with Mat. The important thing is to get a razor, blades, soap, and a brush and just get started. The EJ DE89 and Astra blades are an excellent combination to start with.

Hello and welcome. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself more fully.

Thank you all, especially Mat and Steve! I am hoping to get the EJ DE89 along with the full set of accessories soon!

I typically shave every other day and when I do shave, there's a considerable amount of dense stubble. What style of shaver should I go for (Closed/Open, Aggressive)? Currently I'm torn between the Edwin Jagger DE89Lbl, Parker 96R, Vikingblades Godfather, and anything else that might be more effective at shaving. Not to mention the blades (Persona/Astra?)
I would root for getting a vintage Gillette Slim Adjustable, so you can (literally) dial up the amount of aggressiveness you want, and experiment. They are a marvel of engineering. Just don't pay extra for the original case.

I got my son an open comb razor (a RazoRock OLD Type) because he often goes days or weeks without shaving, and they'll sail right through long "old growth" whiskers. Great for removing or reducing long beards. You might not notice an advantage for 1 or 2 days of growth. My son was amazed at how easy it is to rinse out between strokes, especially compared to the twin-blade disposables that he was using.

As far as blades go, get a sampler pack.

Lastly, how well does a DE razor handle acne? Does it just slice on through?
Welcome to the club. Yes, the DE will slice through acne and pimples so care is needed. Do some research on it.
The EJ89 DE or Merkur 34C with Astra SP blades are a good first choice starting out. Good preparation and technique will be the keys to success using the DE.

Graydog

Biblical Innards
Hi all, I am nearly a convert to DE shaving but haven't had the experience yet (I have done tons of research on the subject though lol). My shaving up till now has been mostly electric (Norelco 9300) and further back the Gillette Mach3 Nitro. Hoping to develop a routine to coincide with my personal development and have become fascinated by DE razors. I've been looking around to see what to start with along with the needed accessories. If it's ok to just ask some questions:

1. I typically shave every other day and when I do shave, there's a considerable amount of dense stubble. What style of shaver should I go for (Closed/Open, Aggressive)? Currently I'm torn between the Edwin Jagger DE89Lbl, Parker 96R, Vikingblades Godfather, and anything else that might be more effective at shaving. Not to mention the blades (Persona/Astra?)

2. Of the two I mentioned, I really like the handle for the Parker 96R but I've read many times that it's liable to have the blade uncentered or come loose due to the loosening of the twist nob. Is it a common issue for TTOs?

3. Lastly, how well does a DE razor handle acne? Does it just slice on through?

Thanks again and hope to be shaving like yall soon :D

Welcome to B&B the best place to ask questions .
I Restarted with the Parker 99r and then tried the merkur.
Then had to have the Vintage Gillette Adjustable "Fatboy "
out of the 3 razors the fatboy was the one that I had the best shaves with.
I have heard that a Alum block is great for acne and for your skin.
If you go with the Parker just make sure that you twist it closed before shaving , I have never had a TTO
open during a shave.

I agree with Mat. The important thing is to get a razor, blades, soap, and a brush and just get started. The EJ DE89 and Astra blades are an excellent combination to start with.

Agree. I started with an EJ89. To answer one question, TTOs tend to lock down nicely; loosening is unusual. Enjoy!

Hi everyone, thankfully it's payday and I'm almost set with my setup. For my accessories I'm going to go with a Proraso Green shaving kit (Pre, Cream, After).

Some other things I'm wondering about in are the shaving bowls and brushes.

The two "bowls" I'm interested in are the Crown King Shaving Scuttle (pretty cool concept) and Edwin Jagger Mug.

Lastly for the Brush, I really don't know what to go for. Don't want to have a bad time but don't want to pay too much either. Are the badger grades a gimmick and what about synthetic brushes? Thanks again!

Welcome to B&B! As for the brush, since mine are all Semogue I cannot talk about other brands.
Probably, a Semogue 2010 would be the ideal (Pure Badger). It's around 30 euros
Fourth from the left:
proxy.php

Top Bottom