What's new

Hi and advice sought

Hi and thanks for this great community.

I’ve been DE for 3-4 months and have been enjoying trying different soaps, brushes and blades. I use a Rockwell 6C, usually on plate 3, and with either an Israeli or Astra for 3 shaves. I’ve been wet shaving every morning for 40+ years and always used to get a v close shave with 2 passes (with grain and against). V v rarely any trouble (Gillette Mach etc, Arlington cream/soap usually and a badger brush of some kind). With my new set-up I seem always to need 3 passes (plate stays at 3). I’ve tried higher plate settings but mostly seem to end up irritating my skin. Although 3 passes ends up giving me a lovely shave, any advice on how I get back to 2 without the bumps and cuts?!
Many thanks!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Welcome to the forum. I used cartridge razors for most of my shaving life. I always got great shaves just using 2 passes WTG and ATG. I did get some irritation and weepers but just put this down to the shaving experience. I tried DE shaving back in the 1980's with horrendous results, shocking razor burn and bloodshed. After many years I found this forum and found out about what shaving is all about. With a DE it seems to be about gradual beard reduction. I do enjoy the 3 pass shave now, maybe with a sharper blade such as a Feather you might be able to go back to a 2 pass shave. I still require 3 passes to get a really great shave other members might have better advice for you. You could also have a read through the Shave Wiki when you have some time. There is some great information there which may help you through your shaving journey.

Although 3 passes ends up giving me a lovely shave, any advice on how I get back to 2 without the bumps and cuts?!

Practice, practice, practice.

I think as your technique improves, you will find yourself getting better shaves with less passes.

With a new blade and the right razor ("right" meaning "optimally efficient") I can get a DFS in one pass and touch up. Perhaps my standard for a lovely shave is lower than yours, but for me, it's close with no nicks or irritation.

First, welcome to B&B.

Keep in mind that a cartridge has multiple blades from 2 on up. Each pass with a cartridge, therefore, is really more than one pass depending on the number of blades the cart has.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Welcome to B&B.
A lot of folks do not map their beard and have issues with irritation, I found that when I know my beard grain(directions) irritation came down a lot. I usually shave WTG 1st pass, ATG 2nd pass, 3rd pass clean up around the jaw line and neck area and just be content with the results and they are CCS,DFS,BBS range most of the time with my medium beard growth . Some folks will not shave (ATG) against the grain at all because of irritation & sensitive skin issues.
To map the beard you should have 2 to 3 days growth and just do a visual and record.
I will leave a template for you to use if you want a reasonable map.
beard map (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Welcome to B&B.
A lot of folks do not map their beard and have issues with irritation, I found that when I know my beard grain(directions) irritation came down a lot. I usually shave WTG 1st pass, ATG 2nd pass, 3rd pass clean up around the jaw line and neck area and just be content with the results and they are CCS,DFS,BBS range most of the time with my medium beard growth . Some folks will not shave (ATG) against the grain at all because of irritation & sensitive skin issues.
To map the beard you should have 2 to 3 days growth and just do a visual and record.
I will leave a template for you to use if you want a reasonable map.
View attachment 1006007
Have some great shaves!

+1! Mapping your beard is great advice!

Other advice that really helped me was to focus on two things:
1. NO pressure, and
2. Maintain an optimal razor angle.

DE is definitely a skill that requires time and effort to master. Well worth the effort!! :a14::a14:

Many thanks, chaps. It’s not primarily a mapping thing, wondrous as those maps are, but probably high expectations of a single blade as @ackvil suggests. I did wonder if with more practice I could start with plate 4 and drop to the 3. I’ll keep experimenting and get back to y’all.

Thanks for the welcome and am glad to be here!

Wellcome to B&B. Technique and good preparation will get better shaves but gradual stubble reduction is also a key point.

Wellcome to B&B. Technique and good preparation will get better shaves but gradual stubble reduction is also a key point.
This is what I was thinking... Along with the fact that a Mach 3 or 5 or 72 has many blades.

It's debatable how many work for you, rather than against you... But it is definitely greater than one. Thus, I'd guess that you're probably getting 1 good pass, and a cleanup from the second blade with each actual pass. I won't start a discussion on what the other blades are doing to your skin, but I'd imagine the help is non-existent at some point.

As Invicta basically said (or maybe not.. I shouldn't put words in people's mouths) 'slow and steady wins the race'.

top tip's
number 1
take your time and enjoy the shave .
number 2
hold the razor like a rare antique . ie dont need to hold on for dear life .
number 3
dont think you can fell all of the tree's in the forest with your first cut . dont care if you fell them one at a time its progressive removal you want .
number 4
dont chase the bbs it will come to you when it thinks you are deserving I mean when your tec is right all of a sudden your on bbs .
number 5
let the razor do the work dont try forcing it or you will bleed .

just my thoughts .

Glad you joined us on this merry journey. Practice & focus on technique. Enjoy the process, be glad it takes 3 passes! The 6C is a good razor. As you improve your technique, try plate 3, then try 4. When I've used the 6C, I start on plate 4 or 5. Good luck & remember, NO PRESSURE. Anf secondly, enjoy!!!!!

Thanks again, folks. Thinking about this further, I enjoy the process enough that getting my bbs in 2 passes would be robbing myself of something really pleasurable. Maybe I should drop to plate 1 and do 4 passes! ;)

Most of my razors are vintage Gillette and Schick, although I have a Parker Super Slant, a WeiShi, and a couple of others. While I can get a smooth single pass shave on my cheeks, below my jawline, each whisker seems to grow a different direction. I use what I call the Union Jack Shave Pattern since it uses all the directions of a British flag.

I have a couple of razor and blade combinations that will give me a first-pass smooth shave, but all others require a 2nd pass for that perfect shave.

I hear you. I've been shaving for a looooong time - over 40 years - and figuring out how my stubble grows has been important to great shaving. I guess where I was coming from was just checking in to see if I had the right expectations. Three passes is fine and enjoyable but should I expect two if I've got the stars aligned... I had a couple of days stubble this morning and a day two Derby, plate 3 on my Rockwell, and a great bowlful of MWF with my cheapo Omega boar and I got a near perfect 2 pass shave. First time since switching from cartridges. I've experimented now with plate sequences, thinking that starting on a 5 or 4 and dropping to a 2 or 3, would be ideal. I keep coming back to sticking with No.3 and either a Derby or Israeli Platinum.

Consider a vintage Gillette Tech, or one of the cheap Chinese 3 piece razors. I can get an acceptable 1 pass shave with a cheap, plastic handle Chinese E-Bay Tech knock off using a BIC blade - perfect shave with 2 passes. Comparing El Cheap-o vs about any of my other razors, it will equal my other 3 piece razors or beat most TTO's.

Consider a vintage Gillette Tech, or one of the cheap Chinese 3 piece razors. I can get an acceptable 1 pass shave with a cheap, plastic handle Chinese E-Bay Tech knock off using a BIC blade - perfect shave with 2 passes. Comparing El Cheap-o vs about any of my other razors, it will equal my other 3 piece razors or beat most TTO's.

sorry to say but its the old horses for courses and swings and roundabouts . everybody is different so what may be good for you is crap for the next guy, and one razor and blade combination will act different than another .
also a bbs on one pass is rare as hens teeth im a everyday shaver and I still need two passes and a touch up . so just enjoy the hobby of wet shaving .

Top Bottom