What's new

Hi all!

Hi all!
After spending some time on this forum I decided to join. M(34), Croatian, service technician. About two years ago, I remember standing in local supermarket and choosing what with I will shave next. Stash of disposable razors (I think they were Gillette twin blade or similar) was going to dry up. And they were PAIN to shave with. After only few strokes they clogged up and after that I spent more time trying to unclog razor than actually shaving. I remember my face hurted so much afterwards, and neck, I hated shaving, often I would use hair clipper to remove my beard. I didn't know how to shave. There must be a ton of guys like me.
Back to the me standing in the market, looking at disposable razors... prices just went up... anything on sale? no, ok... too expensive, too expensive, tried-doesn't work, and then I saw Wilkinson sword classic (the plastic one). Looking at prices and doing some quick math I realised it is worth of risk buying it, so if it doesn't work I won't be disappointed. Bought it, went home, watched some tutorials on YT and tried it. I was like, why nobody told me about this? I was aware that people shaved hundred years ago with DE, and it was technology that worked very well. Why to change something so simple that works so well? Since then I was in love with it.
Since then I feel so relieved because one life issue went away. Cheaply.
So I'm here to learn, share my experience, and just for a sake of it.

Hi all!
After spending some time on this forum I decided to join. M(34), Croatian, service technician. About two years ago, I remember standing in local supermarket and choosing what with I will shave next. Stash of disposable razors (I think they were Gillette twin blade or similar) was going to dry up. And they were PAIN to shave with. After only few strokes they clogged up and after that I spent more time trying to unclog razor than actually shaving. I remember my face hurted so much afterwards, and neck, I hated shaving, often I would use hair clipper to remove my beard. I didn't know how to shave. There must be a ton of guys like me.
Back to the me standing in the market, looking at disposable razors... prices just went up... anything on sale? no, ok... too expensive, too expensive, tried-doesn't work, and then I saw Wilkinson sword classic (the plastic one). Looking at prices and doing some quick math I realised it is worth of risk buying it, so if it doesn't work I won't be disappointed. Bought it, went home, watched some tutorials on YT and tried it. I was like, why nobody told me about this? I was aware that people shaved hundred years ago with DE, and it was technology that worked very well. Why to change something so simple that works so well? Since then I was in love with it.
So I'm here to learn, share my experience, and just for a sake of it.
Welcome to B&B ATomek You are in the right place to explore the pleasures of shaving.

I got some bad news for you ATomek. It won’t be cheap. That would be like going to Disneyland and not spending any money. 😂

Chef455

Head Cheese Head Chef
Welcome to B&B @ATomek ! I started shaving with a DE razor for many of the same reasons.

Welcome to B&B ATomek You are in the right place to explore the pleasures of shaving.

I got some bad news for you ATomek. It won’t be cheap. That would be like going to Disneyland and not spending any money. 😂

And despite what MANY of our forum members say you CAN save money. A Wilkinson Sword DE razor will serve you just fine. Just ask my Feather Popular...

Happy shaves!

Last edited:

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
@ATomek, welcome to B&B from Australia. You are a more courageous man than I am. I am still too scared to shave with a "safety" razor where you cannot see the edge against your skin. That is why I went directly from carts to straight razors.

However, be warned:

I see your point, what I mean is it has potential to save money in long run. I like to call it "investment" instead of "spending".:biggrin1: (BAD). It wasn't cheap in the beginning because I always buy spare razor when buying one. I store it unopened so if primary razor breaks down I have second one ready. I have this habbit with my tools also... Never enough blades also, must be ready for "shavepocalypse", right?

@ATomek, welcome to B&B from Australia. You are a more courageous man than I am. I am still too scared to shave with a "safety" razor where you cannot see the edge against your skin. That is why I went directly from carts to straight razors.

However, be warned:
Oh thank you Sir, but it's not courage, it is ignorance... I can definitely see your point. That's why I use Wilkinson Sword shavette for area under my nose for touchup. My first shave with SE was with straight razor I forged myself about 10 years ago, made it out of piece of leaf spring. I will try to find pictures somewhere... Maybe someday when I will have more time on my hands will switch to SE... until then I must practice a lot... anyways, thanks for advice!

And thank you all for such warm welcome!

br,

Welcome to B&B where the people are amazing and the information is limited only by the Rabbit holes we tend to explore. 🐰 🕳️.
We all agree that the move by manufacturers to plastic cartridges vs DE or SE razors was purely for profit and not for better shaving.
That being said our own passion for the shaving experience does lead to buying a variety of different blades, soaps, creams, brushes, and razors......

I see your point, what I mean is it has potential to save money in long run. I like to call it "investment" instead of "spending".:biggrin1: (BAD). It wasn't cheap in the beginning because I always buy spare razor when buying one. I store it unopened so if primary razor breaks down I have second one ready. I have this habbit with my tools also... Never enough blades also, must be ready for "shavepocalypse", right?

Oh thank you Sir, but it's not courage, it is ignorance... I can definitely see your point. That's why I use Wilkinson Sword shavette for area under my nose for touchup. My first shave with SE was with straight razor I forged myself about 10 years ago, made it out of piece of leaf spring. I will try to find pictures somewhere... Maybe someday when I will have more time on my hands will switch to SE... until then I must practice a lot... anyways, thanks for advice!

And thank you all for such warm welcome!

br,
The best reason to be here is to learn and explore the pleasures of a nice comfortable shave. Trying, sampling and purchasing, equipment that suits your shave is fun. Don’t forget there are many used shaving items for sale on the BST thread. (Buy-Sell-Trade) As many have said. You do not need or require ten sets of everything. Just like you @ATomek, I keep a spare razor boxed and ready to go. I came to B&B as a minimalist with one razor one brush and a few soaps. It was a lot of fun buying and trying new and different razors and shave products. I now have my Fixed Four, other than a few spares. I’m a minimalist again.

My best advice. Comfort should be your main shave goal. Always use sharp blades. Enjoy Your Shaves.

Top Bottom