What's new

Hi all from Rowley Regis, West Midlands

Just like to say hello first time poster long time lurker haven't had to post before as there is a lot of answered questions in the forum...

Little about myself hadn't shaved for getting on over 25 always used a hair to trimmer at it shortest and always had a stubble.. decided I wanted clean shaven after all the years .. so first purchase of a de razor was a cheapo and also 100 astra blades with a free stick of arko and also a cheapish brush .. well to say the first couple of shaves I bled like anything and was sore as hell . So I purchased a merkur 34c after a reading good things about them and good for beginners few shaves in was still cutting and sore while still trying to master the art of de shaving watching videos reading techniques...

I tried next with some derby blades with the merkur seemed better but not a total blood free shave but less irratant ..

Thought I'd then try some personna blades as I heard these were more forgiving and they was so continued with the personna watching my blade angle and strokes and pressure and shaving was getting less irratant and hardly any cutting ..

But now I've gone back to my astra blades and I like them with the merkur it wasn't my blades at all it was my angles not knowing my face growth that I needed to master ..

Wouldn't say I'm an expert yet on my face but after a couple of months I'm going in the right direction and shaving is becoming more of a delight and not a chore ..

Wouldn't say I've had a BBS shave yet even after a few passes with the grain against and across but I know eventually I hope I will but this I think is down to getting the skin stretching right..

So I'd like to say hello and thank you for all the advice I've read and hopefully any advice I require in the future..

Marc

Plus after reading some threads about brushes and mine being a cheapo one I've just ordered a omega 49 let's see how that is

Welcome to B&B! Thanks for sharing your story. Are you going to continue exploring the world of DE shaving or are you comfortable with what you have?
Steve

Definitely gonna be exploring actually went round the charity shops the other day to see if there was any de razors or accessories in there ... Although the I'm using the 34c and quite happy with it I would once my technique is sorted try a little more aggressive razor

Marc

welcome to the club . dont worry about chasing the bbs it will come the main thing is getting your angel of attack sorted so dont rush take your time and you will soon find the bbs comes to you .

Howdy! If you can, resist buying more kit for 90 days. You can't buy a BBS shave; gentle practice will get you to goal. Less pressure, better angle, and great hydration.... Yeah, prep is really important.

Have fun, sir.

Welcome aboard! - +1 on the Omega boar. I don't have the 49 but similar from Omega. Look for tips on breaking it in. I used the 'overnight in the fridge' method. Really worked for me, it's now as soft as my synthetics at the tips but still has it's backbone, you'll love it I'm sure. Also agree with the 90 days thing, improve your technique first.the comfort and BBS will follow.

Thanks everyone and for the advice .. I agree technique is the key so I will just keep on the course I'm on and improve with time and a little effort... As with the breaking in of the brush I've read that it needs time and a little bit of prep but in the fridge..

@Cal you from beautiful Scotland and your in West brom rather be up north than in West brom as it's such a shame the old town is what it is now ...

@Al Bundy where about was you from most of my family was Rowley blackheath Oldbury and cradley must admit blackheath had it characters went up the other day love listening to the old folks there proper characters

Marc

Welcome to the madhouse Marc (from a Scotsman in West Brom). :001_smile

Welcome to B&B Marc, I'm in the Black Country too :)

Word to the wise - Nanny's Silly Soaps are made in Stourbridge, and among the best in the world apparently. I'm certainly impressed and price is very reasonable.

This is only for boar brushes you understand.
Soaking half way up the bristles in a cup of water and kept in the fridge overnight. In the morning take it out, squeeze and shake out the excess water, then dry vigorously on a towel for about 10/15 minutes and let it dry out.
In the evening, repeat the process.
I did three ‘overnights’ with mine. Almost totally broken in after three times.
Then just use as normal. Bristles will splay our lovely and the tips will have ‘split ends’ this is perfect.

Top Bottom