What's new

Hht!

Another question on this i hear you moan:001_smile reading a post on the honing page today where california cajun made me think (cheers for that:wink2:), he says he has not been able to get the hht when he is honing, sooooooo, how many of you out there use razors which have not passed the hht test, but still get good shaves? and why is that:001_smile

I've seen a lot of people talking about how the HHT is irrelevant, that only how it shaves is important. I can certainly see the practical side of this opinion, and I don't have a fraction of the honing experience that a lot of guys around here do, but between my 14 razors and two different honing methods (synthetic with crox, jnat progression), I see direct and consistent correlation between HHT results and the overall quality of the shave. Razors that pass the HHT inconsistently and/or poorly turn out to have poor keenness and overall shave quality.

How smooth the shave is seems to be an entirely separate matter, however.

I have one razor from my early honing days, that did not pass the hht, that to me anyway, is not a great shaving tool, though i can get a shave from it, i now seem to hit the hht all the time, if i use my coti or synths, and the shaves are so much better.

I've seen a lot of people talking about how the HHT is irrelevant, that only how it shaves is important. I can certainly see the practical side of this opinion, and I don't have a fraction of the honing experience that a lot of guys around here do, but between my 14 razors and two different honing methods (synthetic with crox, jnat progression), I see direct and consistent correlation between HHT results and the overall quality of the shave. Razors that pass the HHT inconsistently and/or poorly turn out to have poor keenness and overall shave quality.

How smooth the shave is seems to be an entirely separate matter, however.

Yes.

I have never had a good shave from a razor that does not pass my version of the HHT. Simple as that.

But you are also correct on the smoothness factor bring untestable aside from shaving itself.

Another question on this i hear you moan:001_smile reading a post on the honing page today where california cajun made me think (cheers for that:wink2:), he says he has not been able to get the hht when he is honing, sooooooo, how many of you out there use razors which have not passed the hht test, but still get good shaves? and why is that:001_smile

I don't use the HHT because I just can't get it to work right. I know there is a specific technique but I haven't been able to get it down (on razors I know have been honed by professionals). I've looked at videos which aren't too helpful since you can't see the hair well... so for me it's always been a shave test.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
There is as much skill to performing the HHT as there is to any other aspect of straight shaving. When honing, I check with the HHT after my finest grit. With Naniwas that's the 12k, with the coti it's the final stage dilution prior to water only. Up to that point the edge is test against leg hair at the toe down to the heel.

I test the whole blade every 1/2 inch or so, and if there is an area that seems less willing to pass the HHT, I give it a few laps at that area. As I run the blade over finer and finer diamond and CBN sprays, the HHT results in less and less noise at the point of severence, and the hair catches easier and easier on the edge.

On some blades where i didn't bother testing until the end, those that don't pass the test over the entire blade don't give me satisfactory shaves, usually on the ATG on the upper lip is rough.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I don't use the HHT because I just can't get it to work right. I know there is a specific technique but I haven't been able to get it down (on razors I know have been honed by professionals). I've looked at videos which aren't too helpful since you can't see the hair well... so for me it's always been a shave test.

With the HHT you are trying to catch the little scales of the hair cuticle on the edge of the blade, there by cutting/cracking? the hair at that point. My technique is to bring the hair down on the blade at a less than 90 degree angle or so, not a 90. As I slide the hair across them blade, I flick the blade just a little away from the hand holding the hair. The sharper the edge, the less angle and less flick is needed. My best honed blades cut the hair without flick, and just a little bit of angle.
proxy.php

I can't get the HHT to work on MY hair using a fresh Feather DE blade. So I lose no sleep when my straights also fail it.

But having read up on the HHT, I'm sure it can be a useful test if you have suitable test material, and understand the nuances.

Legion

Staff member
The HHT is my main indicator that the razor might be ready for the shave test. If it can't pop a hair I will usually keep working on it until it can.

The HHT is not an indicator that a razor will shave well, just that it will shave.

The HHT is my main indicator that the razor might be ready for the shave test. If it can't pop a hair I will usually keep working on it until it can.

The HHT is not an indicator that a razor will shave well, just that it will shave.

+1

There is as much skill to performing the HHT as there is to any other aspect of straight shaving....

The voice of Truth speaks!

... I test the whole blade every 1/2 inch or so, and if there is an area that seems less willing to pass the HHT, I give it a few laps at that area...

Obviously, I can't say that use of the HHT is mandatory as many don't use it. But, the other common statement that the shave test is the only test needs to be examined.

If I am honing for myself, then it is completely true that the shave test is the only test that is needed and counts. Results!

If I am honing for others, then the shave test is not enough for the reason mentioned above. You can get great shaves from razors with regions of the blade that are subpar. If honing for others, you need to test every 1/3 to 1/2 inch of the blade. And, this can be done most easily using the HHT in my opinion.

I am open to other methods to test blades all along the length of the blade. But, what would those methods be?

I don't have enough hair to perform HHT, but if I am lucky I can find some on SWMBOs pillow...

If I was honing for others I guess I would have to get either a hairy dog, a persian cat or share the profits and hair with SWMBO.

Last edited:
I don't have enough hair to perform HHT, but if I am lucky I can find some on SWMBOs pillow...

If I was honing for others I guess I would have to get either a hairy dog, a persian cat or share the profits and hair with SWMBO.

I'm lucky: i have a daughter with nice long, straightish hair. Anytime I need some hair for the HHT, I go raid her brush. MOst of the hair is useless (too tangled) but there are always a few loose strands.

My hair is too short and too thick for my version of the HHT.

I've got the HHT to work for me: it's a good indicator of when the edge is finally ready for the shave test.

HHT satisfactory result:
Interesting. That is not what I would have expected from a hair that 'pops' during the HHT. It is a normal (but very clean) cut. I wonder if all grades of successful HHT produce the same angle of cut.
I had foolishly assumed that a hair that spontaneously popped on touching the blade would split at a clean 90°. Maybe that's part of the myth surrounding the HHT that muddies the issue.

I don't even bother with the HHT. I hone until the blade is sharp enough based on the thumb pad test, strop and shave. IMHO, the HHT is more of a parlor trick than a useful test.

I don't even bother with the HHT. I hone until the blade is sharp enough based on the thumb pad test, strop and shave. IMHO, the HHT is more of a parlor trick than a useful test.

There are many, many here who use the HHT and believe it is quite useful. It isn't for everyone. But, calling it a parlor trick bothers me just a little. If it were just me involved, I can take being mildly offended. Even my dog treats me badly! But, I believe this discourages others from experimenting with what is a very useful technique to many of us.

For you, I think your statement is very reasonable. No offense taken. Just trying to broaden the discussion.

Kentos

B&B's Dr. Doolittle.
Staff member
I think the idea of it being a benchmark for sharpness puts a lot of strain on commercial honers and sellers of shave ready straights. When a new shaver gets their new razor and tries the HHT, it will usually fail, and an email or phone call is dispatched to the honer/store. The newbie will be told that the HHT is not a true indicator of sharpness the shave test is...so begins the opinion that the HHT isn't really that useful.
I agree the razor will still shave it doesn't pass the HHT test for you. For me tho, a fail=less than sharp as possible.

Interesting. That is not what I would have expected from a hair that 'pops' during the HHT. It is a normal (but very clean) cut. I wonder if all grades of successful HHT produce the same angle of cut.
I had foolishly assumed that a hair that spontaneously popped on touching the blade would split at a clean 90°. Maybe that's part of the myth surrounding the HHT that muddies the issue.
I don't like HHTs that "pop". A sucessful HHT for me has the hair falling silently, without resistance when contacted by the edge.

I think the idea of it being a benchmark for sharpness puts a lot of strain on commercial honers and sellers of shave ready straights. When a new shaver gets their new razor and tries the HHT, it will usually fail, and an email or phone call is dispatched to the honer/store...

I have fielded a few of these emails and calls too. My take is that we need to educate newbies on how and when to use the HHT. And, this might be not to use it at all. But, to also educate those that move beyond newbie status into honing, in which case its function should be mentioned.

We can't paint the HHT with one color.

Top Bottom