What's new

Hey Y'all from Florida

Hey y'all. I'm Alex, and I'm a wet shaving noob. While I've shaved since I was a teenager and I'm in my mid-thirties now, I picked up a Van den Hagen safety razor on a whim and found it to be better than the three blade disposable monstrosities I used to use on my face. (I still use them on my head though--at least until I'm comfortable with my technique to try shaving my head. I know it can be done as I've seen people do it on ewe-tubes.)

I wasn't really having a problem with ingrown hairs or irritation or anything, I just wasn't getting the kind of shave I wanted, and also using those things made shaving more chore than pleasure. Even if I wouldn't go so far as to call myself a shaving hobbyist (in my mind that's about the same as saying someone who showers daily is a bathing hobbyist). But one doesn't need to be a hobbyist to desire to make their hygiene regime more pleasure than tedious thing to get through quickly. At least in my mind anyway.

At any rate, I've noticed that the Van den Hagen blades weren't the smoothest. I do plan on putting together myself a sampler pack from one of the etailers I've seen. I won't go into which one here as I'm not sure as to the rules concerning that. But I would appreciate any ideas as to blades that would be smoother than the ones I'm currently using. My local B&M market is pretty much limited to VDHs. I'm open to any suggestions y'all would have.

As far as other gear I do have a decent boar brush (also VDH, not sure where my mother picked it up, she found a kit by them somewhere) and their soap.

I do plan on eventually making upgrades to my equipment and supplies but I want to mostly focus on blades, for now, preferably ones that aren't too terribly expensive. If it helps I have average beard growth, though it seems that my whiskers are getting tougher and thicker as they slowly are turning white.

Welcome! From what I've heard, just about any blade should be better than the VDHs. Definitely try something from Astra, Personna, and the 7 o'clock series.

Yeah I've not heard much good about them. My personal experience with them thus far is that if the blade is smooth it will shave well, and for me about three or four shaves (usually a two or three pass shave--typically wtg, xtg and then xtg the other way--I don't normally save atg) but if they aren't smooth they will never get smooth. Its like the factory they come from has poor QC (something I wouldn't have expected from the Germans).

Right now on my wish list I have Atras and Personas. I also have Voskhod, Derby and Treet. I've basically been looking up blades and reading reviews but its kinda hard to separate truth from hype though.

Right now my face is fairly irritated, no nicks or or cuts and very few weepers thankfully, it just feels like I have wind burn. Its not very cold down here right now so my skin shouldn't be too dry or anything, though applying some olive oil-grapeseed oil in my pre-shave warm towel routine seems to help a bit. It definitely seemed to add some slickness to my shave today and I got much closer to BBS than usual even if the blade felt like I was shaving with a hacksaw.

even if the blade felt like I was shaving with a hacksaw.
Ouch! Definitely sounds like time for some new blades. Full disclosure: I personally find Personna blades to be harsh like that. No tangible irritation after the shave, but during is very uncomfortable. But plenty of other people find them to be a sharp, smooth blade. Also, be aware that lather quality can affect how a blade feels on your skin.

LOL, yeah, I'm not particularly happy with those blades. I had one that was nice and smooth and shaved really well, and the next one in the pack, hacksaw....so yeah I'm thinking its a QC issue with the blades. I've tried it with both shaving soap and canned shave gel (inb4 someone calls it goop :p). If my technique was really bad I'd expect to see more blood but the VDH razor seems like it's fairly mild, or mild-medium.

I'm also probably not using the best lather either. I can't say I have much in the way of experience with making it. Currently I'm using a bowl technique and I work it till I get at least medium peaks...I might need to work it till it's stiffer though.

Hello and welcome, Alex. Great to have you here on B&B. Wander on over to the Hall of Fame and introduce yourself.

Welcome to B&B. Get some Nivia sensitive after shave balm to put on after your after shave. It should help a lot with any razor burn you are having.

Welcome to B&B.

Some blade recommendations: Personna Labs, Med Preps, Israeli Reds; Gillette Silver Blues; Lord Chromium, Platinum or Stainless Steel.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Welcome to B&B.

Some blade recommendations: Personna Labs, Med Preps, Israeli Reds; Gillette Silver Blues; Lord Chromium, Platinum or Stainless Steel.

I do agree on Jim's recommendations for the blades, especially Israeli Red Personnas and Gillette Silver Blues.

Of course, my warmest welcome to B&B. :001_smile

Welcome! I suggest you try one or two of the blade sampler packs to see what your preferences are in blades.

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone.

Lets see...we have recommended Gillette Silver Blues (probably explains why a lot of places say their sold out), personas (specifically the Israeli ones), Voskhod and Lords specifically--and a sampler pack generally. I'll definitely have to either find a sampler pack that seems fairly priced or piece together my own.

Also a recommendation for Nivia AS Balm. I'll have to add that to my shopping list.

I'll definitely have to either find a sampler pack that seems fairly priced or piece together my own.

Also a recommendation for Nivia AS Balm. I'll have to add that to my shopping list.
Tryablade.com
The name says it all. Get more than one blade per type, I like getting 5 so that I have a full tuck. While you should definitely be using an aftershave, it doesn't have to be a heavy balm. Though this is a good time of year for it.

Tryablade.com
The name says it all. Get more than one blade per type, I like getting 5 so that I have a full tuck. While you should definitely be using an aftershave, it doesn't have to be a heavy balm. Though this is a good time of year for it.

I'll definitely check them out and compare prices. I've been mostly wish listing on Italianbarber.com. Don't get me started on soaps yet though. I'll be honest I want to try all of them.

Top Bottom