What's new

Hey everyone / Retailer question

Hey fellas I hope you are getting ready for a fantastic weekend and you and your loved ones are safe from the 'Rona.
My name is Seb, and I've been lurking razor/honing related forums for quite a bit but was never very active. With isolation and all I picked up straight shaving once again (after a fun sandpaper sharpening experiment) and working on my technique. I'm Getting ready to jump on the honing bandwagon as my razors need a touchup and I figured I'd just take a leap of faith and try to start restoring old ones too!

After much reading (and bothering a fellow forum member I met a while ago) I decided I'd like to start with synthetics to minimise variables and eventually make my way to other methods. I found what I believe is a pretty decent deal at sharpening supplies (Norton combo stones 220/1000 & 4000/8000, plus a Flattening Stone for USD$150+45 USD shipping). I currently have a Barber's hone and plan on getting some strop paste for finishing. I tried to search for local retailers but unfortunately couldn't find any that would stock these. Do you have any local retailer that you'd like to suggest? The wiki article seems to be down :(

Additionally, where do you get your razor projects from? So far I tried gumtree and ebay, but the later's shipping costs seem a bit too much. Is there any other place I'm missing?

Thank you all and have a great one!

Hey Tomo! Thanks for the suggestion! I am currently reading through this thread. It's really useful to have people suggest keywords I can search for (Didn't even know lapping film was a thing before!) I'll have a look!

I used lapping film on my rolls blade it works really well you will need ether a piece of thick glass or some granit bench top to put it on I just went to a stone mason and got some off cuts and then cut them down to what I need

For sure, thanks! Tomo hooked me up with his retailer and I ordered a wide array of film, very keen to try it out. Cheers!

Legion

Staff member
You can buy CrOx powder pretty easily online. Then just add a dash of mineral oil and mix to make a slurry. Cheap as.

Hey Seg85, I just bought a Combination Whetstone 3K & 8K for ~$50 from Scissor Tech. Being an Australian company I had no problems with delivery (which was very fast) or currency conversions. I had a look on thier web site today, but could no longer see it.

You might also look at barber supplies or tool suppliers. I got a King 4k stone from Fine Tools Australia for $45 and its a beauty.

Hey all!! Sorry I didn't see the notifications pop up for these ones! Will definitely consider for future purchases, right now using film and loving it (although I'm having to use sandpaper to set the bevel so I may get a 1k stone for that!

Have you guys had any luck with Pins and scales?? I only found an online shop in the UK but unfortunately they take forever to deliver!

Cheers fellas.

Legion

Staff member
Hey all!! Sorry I didn't see the notifications pop up for these ones! Will definitely consider for future purchases, right now using film and loving it (although I'm having to use sandpaper to set the bevel so I may get a 1k stone for that!

Have you guys had any luck with Pins and scales?? I only found an online shop in the UK but unfortunately they take forever to deliver!

Cheers fellas.
Pins I just make myself from 1/16 brass rod from a hobby store. Washers can be had online, or probably a hobby store if they sell stuff for doing model trains.

Scales, not hard to make, but you need a few more tools.

Thanks!! That's some quality reading, great posts @Legion ! I believe that's wildly outside of my reach at the moment both in tools and manual skill :p We'll get there!!!

Hey Seg85, I just bought a Combination Whetstone 3K & 8K for ~$50 from Scissor Tech. Being an Australian company I had no problems with delivery (which was very fast) or currency conversions. I had a look on thier web site today, but could no longer see it.

You might also look at barber supplies or tool suppliers. I got a King 4k stone from Fine Tools Australia for $45 and its a beauty.

I think it's Combination Whetstone 3K & 8K - https://www.scissortechaustralia.com.au/collections/barber-straight-razors/products/combination-whetstone-3k-8k this one isnt it?? Thanks mate!!

Top Bottom