What's new

Herold Solingen Leather Belt - the other side's purpose

Hi,
I recently bought a 180J XL leather strop from Herold Solingen. The strop has two sides:
One with logo looks like a finely sanded grain side of leather natural color. (lovely smooth soft texture)
Other side looks like red polyurethane coating with fake leather texture over flesh side of same leather.

I assume first natural color side is for razor stropping. But I wonder what is purpose of other red side?

(Fuzzier flesh side is useless for razors so it's covered? Or PU surface is good for stropping with paste? or its just humidity protection? or its for enhancing strop lifespan and durability? ... so many possibilities)

Herold_Solingen.jpg

Welcome to B&B. I see that this is your first post.

From what I understand, the red stuff's purpose is to discourage you from stropping on it. Might be better just to write or stamp something there instead. Some models have linen as a second element. Perhaps the red stuff's purpose there is to prevent pilling on the backside of the linen?

Tony Miller

Speaking of horse butts…
The Herold 180J is their Russian leather strop and as such they use the flesh side of the strop, finely buffed in this case, as the stropping surface and the back red side is simply the grain side and not really designed to be used. Imprinting a pebble finish (or other texture on other brands) helps compress the leather and make a more firm surface temper. Many one component strops are really not designed for the back side to be used (such as mine).

On the Illinois Russian strops rather than finely buff the flesh side they leave its natural surface with a good bit of texture. The ridges on the back of their helps compress the front surface, hardening it (as does the dark dye) and also due to the orientation adds some flexibility in an otherwise stiff leather.

Others, like mine fall somewhere in between in texture and flexibility.

Despite my neighborhood's disdain of belting, I adore belts and the drama they can lend to an outfit. I've seen it done so many times incorrectly that I understand why many people avoid wearing belts. Basic leather belts are my favourites. In the sense that the leather is of reasonable quality. I have a leather braided belt, a simple black leather belt, and a basic brown leather belt. All of them are frequently used by me. The weaving a little more than the others, perhaps.

Top Bottom