What's new

Hermès Scents

IMO, it's because of the heavy animalic notes (civet, castoreum, cumin adds to it as well). Some have compared EdH to a tiger who was sprayed with Eau d'Orange Verte, it's probably not far off, and I mean that in a good way.

Unfortunately, Eau d'Hermes is no longer that powerful a fragrance. The new 2009 reformulation by Ellena has gutted the animalic to a whisper and increased the citrus to a point where the whole experience lasts only 60 minutes. It's all topnote, some medium note, and no more base note. What was once groundbreaking and polarizing is now pleasantly quaint. In this case the vintage versions would be worth exploring.

Chris, while I respect your nose, and always enjoy your thoughts on fragrances, I must say I think you've got quite the understatement here. Vetiver Tonka is a well made scent, but it's NOT a vetiver. VT is much more aptly described as a soliflore-ish tonka bean scent... I tried it and immediately looked for a place to PIF my sample as it was simply not what it purports to be (e.g., a vetiver fragrance).

Aye, you have a very good point. I never thought of it that way and now it makes perfect sense. Vetiver is used to temper the tonka, but it's really about the tonka. Hmm... The vetiver is fairly prominent, though.

Unfortunately, Eau d'Hermes is no longer that powerful a fragrance. The new 2009 reformulation by Ellena has gutted the animalic to a whisper and increased the citrus to a point where the whole experience lasts only 60 minutes. It's all topnote, some medium note, and no more base note. What was once groundbreaking and polarizing is now pleasantly quaint. In this case the vintage versions would be worth exploring.

Thank goodness I still have my pre-2009 bottle (there is nothing pleasantly quaint about it). Why these guys need to "improve" masterpieces is beyond me.

I tried Terre D'Hermes last night. After all the hype, all the reviews...i was expecting something insanely amazing. Unfortunately the scent just wasn't up to par for me. Smelled like Clorox Orange for me.

I sniffed both Terre d'Hermès EDT and Dior Homme Sport EDT recently. Had a hard time deciding which one I liked best. Eventually I bought a small 0.42oz bottle of Terre d'Hermès perfume this week. I love it.

Currently in rotation: Bel Ami, TdH, Eau Des Merveilles, Poivre Samarcande. EdM in particular has this sparkle that's both a bit generic but also thoroughly enjoyable. I see it as unisex, but some may find it a tad womanly.

Equipage I bought and sold off because it made me queasy - smelled fine, but just put me off my game for the day.
Rocabar I bought and sold off because I never wore it.
The orange Vertes (Eau and Concentree) were good but awfully fleeting, so I sent them off as well.

Ambre Narguile is a special case. It's not your normal syrupy amber, but rather a really really quiet green apple amber. It's beautiful like a Chopin nocture played at low volume - which is fine except for the price tag: at that rate I want it noticeable and long-lasting.

Try layering Poivre Samarcande with Ambre Narguile...half and half sweetens up the Poivre a bit and does something really nice. Problem there is you have to have both, but it will get you to a different scent that nobody (almost) will recognize.

If you contact customer service on the Hermes web site with a few you are interested in trying, they will send you some pretty good sized samples free... a good way to play with them and decide.

Oh, one more thing I found interesting... while looking at some Hermes fragrances in a Hermes shop in Dallas this week, I casually mentioned that I like Creed's Aventus quite alot. The salesman literally freaked about how much he LOVES that fragrance. "We have some great fragrances but I don't think we have anything like Aventus." I thought it was interesting...

Last edited:
Top Bottom