What's new

Hermès Scents

I am fairly unfamiliar with this house. I own and love Bel Ami. I have tried Terre d'Hermes and it didn't do anything for me. Voyage d'Hermes was ok, but didn't quite grab me enough to purchase a bottle.

I need to try more of their scents. I have Equipage and Eau d'Hermes on the "to try" list. Then there's the Hermessence boutique line which is a whole different ballgame. I haven't tried any of those, but have heard good things about Ambre Narguilé.

What are your favorites or which ones do your own/have on the buy list?

Last edited:
For no particular reason, haven't tried much from Hermes. Actually like TdH, but my boss wears it so I've passed on it. Voyage seemed modern and lightweight for my tastes.

Eau d'Hermes has some sort of cult following as a kind of borderline "nasty" scent in the same vein as Kouros. Let us know if you try it.

I own Rocabar and TdH. I like Tsar by VCA a lot better than Rocabar and find them very similar. Rocabar is one of the oldest bottles in my collection and I don't know what it is but the strength just is not there anymore. TdH is probably set to be the new super-popular frag a la Acqua di Gio someday very soon, I like it a lot but it runs that risk of being too recognized.

Someday in the near future I'd like to pick up Eau de Hermes and/or Eau de Merveilles, these have both been on my list for a while.

I own Rocabar and TdH. I like Tsar by VCA a lot better than Rocabar and find them very similar. Rocabar is one of the oldest bottles in my collection and I don't know what it is but the strength just is not there anymore. TdH is probably set to be the new super-popular frag a la Acqua di Gio someday very soon, I like it a lot but it runs that risk of being too recognized.

Someday in the near future I'd like to pick up Eau de Hermes and/or Eau de Merveilles, these have both been on my list for a while.

So Rocabar is an aromatic fougere of sorts, I gather. If I remember correctly, Tsar is a greener Drakkar Noire. Am I correct?

I would say the Rocabar is a little more vanilla like, more sweet (I would not classify it as a sweet fragrance though) with more citrus on top but the vanilla cuts through the whole time. Both have a Peru or Tolu Balsam note and it seems to be the star of the two and the reason I say they are similar. Both are very versatile and either of these would be great work/special occasion scent.

Une Jardin Sur L'Mediterranee is pretty good. Figgy, if I recall correctly. Tested it on skin at an airport fragrance shop a few months back. Greenery and so on.

I have tried the TdH pure parfum and was really impressed with its style and longevity - have not tried any of the others.

I know and love TdH, in all its expressions; Bel Ami; and Orange Verte. For some reason, I have not tried others that I can recall. Orange Verte is really nice.

I own several, Eau d'Orange Verte is a favorite. As for the newer Hermès scents, I believe you either appreciate Ellena's subtle style or you don't.

I have a love hate relationship with TdH EdT. Some days 1 spray is so completely overwhelming that I can't stand it and other days it stays nice and bright without suffocating me. I recently tried Voyage and found it to have some nice similarities to TdH citrus/flint/earth without overtaking my senses like TdH does. I usually only test new frags in the evening so I can't speak to Voyage's longevity but it did easily last 4 hours until I took my evening shower.

Forgot to mention that I gave my girlfriend's 16yr old son a sample of TdH and it smells absolutely amazing on him. He received lots of great compliments on it from school mates as well.

Last edited:
<Forgot to mention that I gave my girlfriend's 16yr old son a sample of TdH and it smells absolutely amazing on him. He received lots of great compliments on it from school mates as well. >

That I really like to hear, for mutliple reasons. I am less down on "popular scents" than many around here may be. And I respect that the young have their own ideas of what is a great scent based upon lots of factors. But there really are higher quality, more interesting scents around for the same amount of money as the popular department store scents. I suppose it is the same with beverages, clothes, etc. Why should scents be any different.

I really like TdH, too. But I know exactly what you mean about it sometimes seeming like too much, especially when first put on, especially in the higher concentrations. Although if I recall, the edp, is more earthy and easier to "take" as a general matter. (Hope I am not confusing TdH with another scent re the edp concentration! The variety of scents to try to keep straight is really starting to be overwhelming for me, so do not take any adivce from me!)

Currently in rotation: Bel Ami, TdH, Eau Des Merveilles, Poivre Samarcande. EdM in particular has this sparkle that's both a bit generic but also thoroughly enjoyable. I see it as unisex, but some may find it a tad womanly.

Equipage I bought and sold off because it made me queasy - smelled fine, but just put me off my game for the day.
Rocabar I bought and sold off because I never wore it.
The orange Vertes (Eau and Concentree) were good but awfully fleeting, so I sent them off as well.

Ambre Narguile is a special case. It's not your normal syrupy amber, but rather a really really quiet green apple amber. It's beautiful like a Chopin nocture played at low volume - which is fine except for the price tag: at that rate I want it noticeable and long-lasting.

I have tried both EDH and TDH.I was very impressed with the TDH as was SWMBO.It was her who actually twisted my arm to buy it.As for the EDH well this didn't impress at all.At first it smells like stale sweat. although it does settle down i think any compliment you would have hoped for would have well gone out the window at that stage.Then again Hey if there is a cult following out there for it well then each to their own.

TdH is a favorite for me. I like the longevity and the way the base holds up throughout the day.

As I've learned with frags, for me it's about the base. If it lasts a long time but the base is disagreeable (I'm looking at you, Cool Water) it's a no deal.

Vetiver Tonka is outstanding, tobacco, vetiver and a sort of vanilla from the tonka. It's available either at an Hermes store or online, but not in Duty Free or department stores.

Also becoming more of a fan of Voyage.

Top Bottom