What's new

Heretic and embarrassed..

I like the neutrogena shave cream as well. The reviews on it are not a good representation of its true performance because as previously stated many were unaware its latherless and thus gave it poor marks for that. It's helped my supersensitive skin a lot. Highly recommended.

VDH is quite a good soap, and frankly, the cost of the product should have little bearing on efficacy.
Theoretically, with a staple product as soap, it shouldn't. But after shaving my way through about 40 to 50 products, of course seldomly until they are completely gone, I have to say that the chances of finding a product which is both good and dirt cheap (read: VDH-like cheap) are less than finding a product which is both good and more expensive. Above a price point of ~€7 per 100 g quality does not noticably improve anymore except in fragrance, packaging and marketing, underneath it can be hit or miss.

Either way, I certainly would encourage to the OP to branch out to different products.

Hi All,
......I decided to use my shaving cream from the old days: Neutrogena Skin Clearing Shave Cream. This cream only requires a thin layer per shave. As all Neutrogena products, this is very good quality. After a quick north south with some across the grain passes, my face ended up soft, no irritation and very fresh......

I've used Nuetrogena shaving cream, and found it to be pretty effective......

I wanted to be as fair as possible, so went back and tried the Neutrogena Skin Clearing Shave Cream, as well as the Neutrogena Sensitive Shave Cream. While they are very different products than the brush creams, they did work well for me. I especially liked the results of the Skin Clearing version, as well as the feel of using it. The Sensitive was kind of runny it is so thin, although it produced a good shave, too.

If we're all about spending little or nothing on shaving, then we can grow a beard. Problem solved.

Not really. I spend about as much time "edging" my beard and shaving my neck as when I've been clean shaven. I don't quite get as much razor joy with the beard, but neatening the lines without encroaching is a bit more fussy than just makin' it all bald.

We've got plenty of lists of "good value" creams and soaps on the board; a little searching will pull them up.

[Good value is always in the eye of the beholder, but the general intent is to find products that are comparatively inexpensive--say, less than $10 certainly, and often less expensive--yet still very good performers.]

Such lists typically include:

The Real Shaving Company creams, available at Rite Aid ($5)

Kiss My Face creams, available widely--try Whole Foods or similar stores, or higher end pharmacies (e.g., CVS/Long's) ($4-8 depending on size)

Several boutique/artisanal soap makers: SCS ($6)has been mentioned, and I'd add Honeybee Spa soaps ($4-8/puck, depending on how many you order); also in that range would be Mama Bear.

CO Bigelow/Proraso, especially if you can find the $5 tube.

There are more, and especially if the idea of $10-$15 for a puck that'll last several month qualifies as "good value". That opens the door to Tabac, MWF, Cade, and many others.

I certainly agree that the goal should be a good, enjoyable shave, and whatever achieves that end is "good" and "enjoyable". That said, I'd also side with those who suggest trying a couple of the products mentioned before writing them off. (I haven't done the comparison, but I also would guess that using a brush cream or soap, versus the brushless products, would win out on pure cost, too?)

Last edited:
Top Bottom