What's new

Heresy; burnt at the stake

I left electrics because of the skin irritation and because my neck would be raw but still look unshaven.

Having said that, I found that the Braun style heads worked better for me than the rotary Norelco ones. Panasonic makes a wet/dry electric as well. I went from Braun to Norelco back to Braun to Panasonic with shaving cream to wet shaving (I didn't want to spend the money on cartridges, and I saw an article on the Art of Manliness on wet shaving with safety razors).

I'm curious why you are considering electrics; the biggest reason I can think of would be shaving on the go (but you're going to get stubble on your clothes). You still have to replace blades and foil covers every so often for the models that I've purchased in the past.

I used to use a Norelco many years ago, and I even tried a more expensive Braun electric razor before finally giving up on electric razors and sticking with cartridges. Going back many years, I had a standard progression from two-blade Gillette Sensor (I think) to maybe Mach 3 but definitely Mach 3 Turbo (with the battery) to Fusion. Since switching to wet shaving with a safety razor over two months ago, I've said good riddance to cartridges, and electrics are so far in my rearview mirror that I'd almost forgotten that I used to use one for so many years. Maybe electric razors have come a long way, but they look fundamentally the same as they used to. I can see how someone might like an electric shaver, but it can't get as close as a blade contacting the skin as with a safety or straight razor UNLESS it is yanking on the hairs before cutting them, which is more likely to cause irritation. I don't even want to think about the friction and irritation and frustration that I used to have with my Norelco and how even the Braun missed hairs after going over the same spot repeatedly. My mind has probably blocked that out for good reason. :blink:

Last edited:
So, I've been considering going electric...

Hey, some guys in my family have been using electrics for decades. Whatever works.

But they didn't work for me. I tried a couple of different models for about three months. I'd grow a scraggly beard before I'd do that again.

My failure at an electric didn't affect my cousin one bit. He still uses it.

WATT??? OH My word, I AM Personally SHOCKED at such a reVOLTing thought. I know we should LIVE and let live, but I cannot remain NEUTRAL on this issue. You need to show more RESISTANCE, reFUSE to yield, and curb your CURRENT thinking. Burning at the stake is too good for you - you should be subjected to assault and BATTERY.

Electrics were doing a better job for me than cartridges ever did (with no real good technique). But, they got more expensive for me than cartridge or disposable razors. I kept going through dead razors and power supplies, and still didn't get wonderful or irritation free shaves. Plus the wet and dry ones (which I far prefer) are not cheap. I also ended up only using them with canned goo whether in or out of the shower. Gave far better results than dry.

Even given that I have spent significantly more on de than I ever would have expected, It is still working out cheaper and better than electric.

So, I've been considering going electric...

Quicky call an exorcist! Clearly you were possessed by evil on your 666th post. Avoid pea soup, Rottweilers until then.
Using an electric " your suffering would be legendary even in hell".

Cheer
John

I used electrics for about 20 years and the shave was always mediocre at best. Ingrown hairs and rash on my lower neck were the biggest problem. If you don't care about how fair/poor the shave is and are looking for a quick easy way to look decent it's fine, but I'd never go back to them. Since finding the DE I've had vastly superior shaves, no more ingrown hairs or rash, etc.

proxy.php

Top Bottom