What's new

Here's what I love; which TGN is The One?

I'm looking to settle down with one badger brush. Several current residents of my den are contenders, but I am going to have Rudy Vey make me a handle for a TGN knot to vie for the honored spot, too. I have read through many old threads here regarding TGN and other knots, and I'm trying to make sure I make the right selection. TGN, ACE, Whipped Dog...I'm open to all of 'em. Here are the contenders at present:

T&H Rooney 1/2 - great size (24/48), fan shape, and lathers like a dream. Gel-like tips, good flow-through, but I sometimes feel like it's not giving me quite enough feedback

Shavemac D01 3-band fan (24/48)- tried to sell this, actually, as it's a bit scritchy at the tips, but I'm told this will subside in a few lathers (it has ten on it now). The scrub, backbone, and flow-through feel really nice, maybe just this much too dense?

Shavemac Finest fan 22/48 (measured 24/47) - the scritch is not as pronounced as the D01, the flow-through is better, but like the T&H Rooney, I'm not getting precisely the feedback I am after

Savile Row 3122 (25/50 measured) - perfect density, flow-through, firmness...but it's a bulb and I don't love the handle

So, I guess I'm looking for the midpoint of a D01 3-band and a Finest from Shavemac, or maybe halfway between a T&H 1/2 and a Simpson Duke 3, which was too dense and scrubby by half but otherwise so ideal. I'm thinking a TGN Finest fan is the way to go (no XH? I don't love super-dense...), but I'm open to other suggestions, even other knot vendors. Also, should I go for a 22mm so that it's around 24 where it exits the handle, assuming I want it set around 48-50mm?

Again, I have read through old threads, but I'm trying to avoid having to go through multiple knots to get the one I am after. Your expertise is welcome, gents.

If the Rooney gel tips are too soft for you, maybe you will feel the same way about the TGN finest? The one I bought in November also had curly tips. It has plenty of backbone, but gives very little feedback.

That's helpful. Thank you. I think the thing is not the lack of tip feedback, but the relative softness of the loft itself. The Rooney has some backbone, and so does the Shavemac Finest, but it gives or splays just a touch more than I'd ideally like. The curly tips I am good with if the knot will resist a bit against splay (not looking for a stick, though; I've had two badger brushes that had no spring, just a wall of hair...not my favorites). The way you're describing the finest you got in November, it sounds about perfect.

In that case I would go ahead with the XH. I am not a fan of hugely dense brushes, but the XH strikes a good balance for me and delivers lather well. Mine is a 22-mm.

I haven't compared XH to non-XH. But in regards to splay, I feel like my 24mm XH fan is really great. Nice backbone, but still splays nicely. Based on the brushes you describe, I'm thinking that even the level of splay I have on my XH would be a touch too much for you. So I'd be concerned that getting the non-XH would definitely be too much. Just my two cents.

Some of what you're describing makes me wonder why you are so sold on a fan shaped knot. Have you compared a fair number of fans to bulbs so that you are sure you prefer fans? Something like a Thater or Shavemac (non d01) might fit the bill for you. I mean a knot shaped like theirs.

Last edited:
In that case I would go ahead with the XH. I am not a fan of hugely dense brushes, but the XH strikes a good balance for me and delivers lather well. Mine is a 22-mm.

Thanks for this. XH it will be, either at 22 or 24mm (assuming I go TGN).

I've had a few bulbs. I like the performance of a couple of them a lot, but the aesthetics don't suit me. I might be willing to go with a less extreme bulb, which the TGNs appear to be. I just know that I don't really care for the spiky look of a lot of bulbs; I have seen some beautifully rounded bulb knots but even those don't appeal as much as fans to me. Still, performance is the ultimate goal, so perhaps a bulb is worth considering.

As far as splay, the fan-shaped D01 is about right for me, and even a bit less would be okay. I've run through about 50-odd brushes over five years, sadly, and I thought the Shavemac Finest and T&H 1/2 were spot-on when I got them. But just that little bit more backbone would be nice...

I have not tried a Thater due to the fact that they are softer yet than Savile Rows from what I have read, and the standard Shavemac silvertip is pretty much what's in the SR. I do like it, and in fact when it comes down to it I may wind up at the end of this using that as my only badger brush.

I have never given TGN a fair shake, though, and I would like to do so, besides which a bespoke brush as my only one holds some appeal. I'll have to look again at the TGN bulbs and see what I think of their shape. After all, even my Shavemac Finests are a bit more rounded than the fan on my Rooney.

Last edited:
Thanks for this. XH it will be, either at 22 or 24mm (assuming I go TGN).

I've had a few bulbs. I like the performance of a couple of them a lot, but the aesthetics don't suit me. I might be willing to go with a less extreme bulb, which the TGNs appear to be. I just know that I don't really care for the spiky look of a lot of bulbs; I have seen some beautifully rounded bulb knots but even those don't appeal as much as fans to me. Still, performance is the ultimate goal, so perhaps a bulb is worth considering.

As far as splay, the fan-shaped D01 is about right for me, and even a bit less would be okay. I've run through about 50-odd brushes over five years, sadly, and I thought the Shavemac Finest and T&H 1/2 were spot-on when I got them. But just that little bit more backbone would be nice...

I have not tried a Thater due to the fact that they are softer yet than Savile Rows from what I have read, and the standard Shavemac silvertip is pretty much what's in the SR. I do like it, and in fact when it comes down to it I may wind up at the end of this using that as my only badger brush.

I have never given TGN a fair shake, though, and I would like to do so, besides which a bespoke brush as my only one holds some appeal. I'll have to look again at the TGN bulbs and see what I think of their shape. After all, even my Shavemac Finests are a bit more rounded than the fan on my Rooney.
The TGN Finest is a great knot. I would not say it is to dense with the XH. If you go fan get a size up and set it lower if you want it to have a good backbone. This should give you a good idea of what the bulb looks like
$wm_normal_dscn4347.jpg

My current badgers are Duke 2 in best and a TGN finest xh in fan, 24mm in a rubberset #4 handle.
I prefer bulb shaped brushes actually, and while the Simpson's knot is great (just got it), the handle is a bit small for me.
A larger comfy handle with TGN finest, 22mm, would be indeed awesome and Rudy Vey's handles are beautiful.

Here's a pic of a 22mm TGN XH fan pre bloom. The knot was just stuck in for the pic so don't pay much attention to the loft.
Post bloom set at 45mm. It's a nice face lathering brush that I've been using for a while now. The tips have not shown a tendency to hook yet. I think every 2 band I gotten from TGN has hooked but I probably don't have a dozen shaves on this one so far.

Last edited:
Thanks for all the excellent info, guys! I have decided to go with Finest XH. I am going to try a fan and a bulb; if I love 'em both, I'll keep both, but if I have a favorite, I'll be down to one brush. Now, as far as size, I'm looking at a 24mm set to about 48-50mm. Probably err toward the high end based on recommendations here for a 22mm set to 48mm?

Thanks for all the excellent info, guys! I have decided to go with Finest XH. I am going to try a fan and a bulb; if I love 'em both, I'll keep both, but if I have a favorite, I'll be down to one brush. Now, as far as size, I'm looking at a 24mm set to about 48-50mm. Probably err toward the high end based on recommendations here for a 22mm set to 48mm?

I have two Bob Farvour's TGN Finest 24x48, and they tend to be my preference for face lathering with a shave stick. A little short for bowl lathering, but acceptable of course.

I have a 24 mm from Rudy in the tgn fan & its a great brush. You said you have a t&h 1/2 Rooney. I would also advise you to look at the t&h 1/1 while they are still available.

Tim, here's a terrific brush I have using a Rudy Vey handle and a two band XH 24 mm TGN knot. I have had several TGN knots and truthfully this is the only one I really liked in the long run. i have the loft set at 52 mm which gives me enough firmness. Very soft tips on this one, no scritch, slight amount of scrub.

Attachments

• $P1010963.jpg
    $P1010963.jpg
    35.4 KB · Views: 61
  • $P1010964.jpg
    $P1010964.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 62
Top Bottom