What's new

Here's a tip for inexpensive (cheap) post-shave care.

Instead of buying Aluminum Sulfate face bars, buy a LARGE Styptic Pencil. (Just make certain to store it in its plastic sleeve).

After finishing your shave:

1. Wet your non-dominant hand and gently roll the pencil in it.

2. Replace the pencil in its storage sleeve.

3. Use both hands to rub the wet Aluminum Sulfate solution all over the shaven facial areas.

4. Rinse your hands and face.

5. Dry your hands and face very well.

Voila! Your face is ready for any desired aftershave. (All the weepers/nicks will have been sealed in the most inexpensive manner possible).

nemo

Lunatic Fringe
Staff member
Wait until your technique goes beyond the weepers/nicks stage and you'll really start saving money.
I haven't seen blood (on my face) for months of daily shaving.

Instead of buying Aluminum Sulfate face bars, buy a LARGE Styptic Pencil. (Just make certain to store it in its plastic sleeve).

After finishing your shave:

1. Wet your non-dominant hand and gently roll the pencil in it.

2. Replace the pencil in its storage sleeve.

3. Use both hands to rub the wet Aluminum Sulfate solution all over the shaven facial areas.

4. Rinse your hands and face.

5. Dry your hands and face very well.

Voila! Your face is ready for any desired aftershave. (All the weepers/nicks will have been sealed in the most inexpensive manner possible).
Yeah, no. I'll stick with the alum block. They cost just a few dollars and last for a loooong time. I do have a styptic pencil for the rare times it's needed.

Iridian

Cool and slimy
I have an alum block, but only use it when bleeding.

Maybe I read it wrong and you suggest doing this only in case of weepers? In this case I would limit it to the area in question.

Even for minor cuts I just apply after shave. I know some prefer balms and while alcoholic after shaves are seen as the devil these days, I like that they are quick drying.

I don't routinely cut myself either. This practice simply stops any further skin irritation. It may sting for a few seconds but it puts the kybosh on problems. It is just a different (and less expensive) approach than an alum block.

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Interesting. I think I paid about $4 for my alum block many years ago. I only use it for the occasional weeper and I'm 71 this year, so I hope my son uses it when I'm gone. It's not a great place for me to save money, but some shavers use it every day and probably buy more than one in a lifetime.

Top Bottom