What's new

Herbal Teas

I have a lot of trouble sleeping so more caffeine in my diet at night usually isn't a good idea. So herbal tea has always been a nice alternative. I know many of them aren't actually tea, but regardless it is still a pleasant drink in those wee small hours.

I like Celestial Seasonings, their Sleepytime and Tension Tamer teas.

Does anyone else have any favorites? What are some other products other worth trying?

rooibos interests me, as my personal rule is no tea after 3pm. Where is the best place to pick some up to try?

I think its safe to say now that I love pu, the rest of the teas will have to be sampled, even though rooibos is not a true tea.

ouch

Stjynnkii membörd dummpsjterd
Amazing timing, Tim. Hobbes just wrote about this on his blog. I would normaly ridicule such a notion offhand, as I find it akin to wine made from apples, but if David says it's worthwhile, I'd be willing to give it a go.

Amazing timing, Tim. Hobbes just wrote about this on his blog. I would normaly ridicule such a notion offhand, as I find it akin to wine made from apples, but if David says it's worthwhile, I'd be willing to give it a go.

I see you operate the same philosophy as me!

I have a lot of trouble sleeping so more caffeine in my diet at night usually isn't a good idea. So herbal tea has always been a nice alternative. I know many of them aren't actually tea, but regardless it is still a pleasant drink in those wee small hours.

I like Celestial Seasonings, their Sleepytime and Tension Tamer teas.

Does anyone else have any favorites? What are some other products other worth trying?

I have transient sleep issues and have cut way back on my caffeine as well. I haven't found the "sleepy time"-type teas to be particularly calming or sleep-inducing, but that's me. Valerian root, however, has been helpful as a general calmer and it's also improved my blood pressure (another reason I've cut back on caffeine).

As far as herbal teas go, I drink either decaf green (I know, not herbal), or chrysanthemum which is big in Chinese culture and medicine. It's mildly diuretic and supposed to be good for just about everything: sinuses, blood lipids, blood pressure, liver, and on and on. I often add a squirt of liquid thyme extract since that's good for my sinuses also.

Admittedly, I'm pretty much a tea purist (Read: stuck-up tea snob. :wink:) But ...

Celestial Seasonings used to make a tisane called Emperor's Choice, which I really enjoyed:

Sadly, it's long been discontinued.

The closest I've found (and it's not all that close, but I enjoy it nonetheless) is the Republic of Tea's Safari Sunset, which is a Rooibos-based drink. IMHO, overpriced in its retail package, but reasonable in bulk:

Terrific with lemon, particularly so if you've got a cold.

Cheers,

- Richard

When I do feel like tea late or if I am having a little trouble relaxing, I reach for Sleepytime from Celestial Seasonings as well. I generally add a teaspoon of fresh grated lemon zest to it.

Forgive me for a slightly OT question... but this would seem to be the tea lovers thread.....

My local Thai restaurant (where the food is fantastic but the staff doesn't speak much English) serves a great hot tea which has a distinct woodsy/cedar-y note to it. It's quite nice, especially in Winter. I suspect it's the same tea they use as a base for the Thai Iced Tea. Any idea what tea (clearly, not an herbal, I assume) it could be? Yes, asking would be easiest, but not much English from the staff.

TIA and apologies for the OT.

Forgive me for a slightly OT question... but this would seem to be the tea lovers thread.....

My local Thai restaurant (where the food is fantastic but the staff doesn't speak much English) serves a great hot tea which has a distinct woodsy/cedar-y note to it. It's quite nice, especially in Winter. I suspect it's the same tea they use as a base for the Thai Iced Tea. Any idea what tea (clearly, not an herbal, I assume) it could be? Yes, asking would be easiest, but not much English from the staff.

TIA and apologies for the OT.

I make Thai iced tea all the time. This is the stuff, and the place I get it from.

Ingredients: Thai tea leaves, dried lemongrass, dried pandan leaves, yellow #6

When it comes to Celestial Seasonings I like anything with zinger in its name.

Otherwise, give me a decaffeinated Earl Grey! hehehe!

For rooibos, I go to Jing (the UK business, not the Chinese one). They're usually extortionate for other teas, but their rooibos is (i) fresh, (ii) tasty, (iii) not a huge rip-off. I like it. It's unflavoured, and tastes a lot like a complex, vanilla-like hongcha.

Instead of leaves, it consists of what look like zillions of miniature pine needles. This is a PAIN IN THE DERRIERE. Apart from that, it's great. :chinese:

Toodlepip,

Hobbes

There is a Sleepytime Extra, including valerian. Does it really make a difference? Not sure, but both my girlfriend and I really enjoy this tea.

Top Bottom