What's new

Henson razors changed design with little or no warning

I ordered an aluminum Henson mild razor in early June, and I really like it a lot. To satisfy my curiosity, I ordered a Henson Medium on June 24, which has not been delivered yet. Might come today. I'm mild to moderately annoyed because I found out after I ordered the medium that Henson had changed the design of the razor. It certainly was not made clear on the web site. I'm considering sending it back if the new, unannounced version shows up in my mail box. I thought I was ordering a tried and true model of the Henson medium razor. Oh well.

I'm looking forward to hearing how the slightly enhanced Henson performs. There has certainly been a great deal of anguish and alarm over this development.

I've got an original medium AL13 in black sitting on the sidelines.
Anyone wondering, in my opinion, it is significantly more mild than a Feather ASD2...to the point of you wondering if you forgot to put a blade in it!

Iridian

Cool and slimy
The redesign seems to have geometry and the core feature, the very locked in shaving angle, unchanged. The new head design is a bit fancier and might indeed have better lather flow etc.

I would not send back the razor because of this unannounced change, even if it could and should have been communicated.

The thing with the Henson is, the shaving angle is locked in. For better and worse. You cannot go steep or shallow as wanted, so if the angle doesn't give you the best result, it won't get better.

The Henson guarantees a very good and secure shave. I think most here are seasoned shavers and I go for perfection. That doesn't always work out. 🤪

But very often it does. The Henson is always very good, but I cannot get better with it. My eternal beef with the Henson. And it's aluminum or titanium. I use super long and heavy handles. I respect the design, but I just can't love or recommend it to everyone.

I ordered an aluminum Henson mild razor in early June, and I really like it a lot. To satisfy my curiosity, I ordered a Henson Medium on June 24, which has not been delivered yet. Might come today. I'm mild to moderately annoyed because I found out after I ordered the medium that Henson had changed the design of the razor. It certainly was not made clear on the web site. I'm considering sending it back if the new, unannounced version shows up in my mail box. I thought I was ordering a tried and true model of the Henson medium razor. Oh well.
I have the say when I read the explanation for the new design, which hduty took from the Henson web site, I felt much better about the whole thing. I bet it's going to work out just fine.

I have the new version on order (Medium Tan). I also have Mild, Medium and Aggressive Al13 Original Versions (V1), as well as a Ti22 Aggressive Original Version (V1). I am most excited about the rounded corners and the contouring to make blade removal easier. The only razor I have shaved with with ultra rounded corners, was the original (2019) Carbon CX316. I loved it, and the best part was the ultra rounded corners. After Carbons first batch, their razors had sharp corners like everyone else and I did not buy one. I complained to Carbon that they had a simple design difference which was a "core competency", a design advantage, and a marketing advantage...and they just pissed it away for some reason. Not one of the 60+ modern and vintage razors in my collection has rounded corners, and many have corners sharp enough to cut your skin...which I equate to just plain bad detail design and poor quality. That is why I am excited for the new Version (V2) from Henson. As with anything which has been engineered, "attention to detail" is the most important thing. If the loss of blade contact area in V2 does not cause any loss of blade rigidity, this new Henson will be "off the charts"...and I expect people will like it better than V1. As soon as I get a few shaves with it, I will post my V1 to V2 comparison.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Until proven otherwise, I always assume a new product version is going to be full of bugs providing diminishing returns. This has been the case for many kinds of products in life. I don't regret at all, that I got the original version. Newer isn't always better.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Until proven otherwise, I always assume a new product version is going to be full of bugs providing diminishing returns. This has been the case for many kinds of products in life. I don't regret at all, that I got the original version. Newer isn't always better.
To follow the logic of your post, your version is the one with the issues and the newer one is the one with bugs ironed out. Having said that, the older versions are clearly excellent.

I received my first Henson yesterday, a +++. First shave was this morning, a super hurried rush job on 84 hours growth. Quick wipe of Neutrogena shaving cream as a prep, followed by an unknown brand foaming soap (my wife buys it) applied by my RazoRock Bruce. Brand new Persona Blue loaded up, first pass WTG, and second XTG. Didn't take/have the time for any detailed cleanup, but I can only find one very minor area of barely detectable stubble under my jaw near my right ear (I'll bet I completely missed it in my hurried 2nd pass). I'm going to be really interested in this shaves longevity, because right now I feel like I'm going to have to repeat puberty in order to experience the second shave. :D

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

Top Bottom