What's new

Henson razor opinions?

I like the Astra in the AL13 and the Feather. Feather is my #1. Feather is the only one I use in the Ti22. That is what suits my face. I do not like either of those blades in many other razors.

Henson has new Stainless Steel DE blades on their site, in addition to Astra Superior Platinum. The new blades have been manufactured to Henson specifications. I have tried these blades, and IMHO they perform better than Astra in the Henson AL13 and TI22 razors (perform better= smoothness + sharpness).
So you're saying the blades are both sharper, and smoother than the Astra?

Henson has new Stainless Steel DE blades on their site, in addition to Astra Superior Platinum. The new blades have been manufactured to Henson specifications. I have tried these blades, and IMHO they perform better than Astra in the Henson AL13 and TI22 razors (perform better= smoothness + sharpness).
Are you talking about the RK Blades? Interesting. Even the blades have that they were made for the Henson AL13 on the blades. Henson says the same thing.

Last edited:
Those RK blades may be worth a try given the pretty low price. I have the TI22 medium but it is currently offline as I've been enjoying the shave with the Yates 921 lately. Still using the Astra SP blades I used in the Henson.

Well, I got my Henson Ti22 titanium medium today. What a beautiful razor! It is rather shiny where the lazer cuts are on the handle, and the rest is a nice softly gleaming polish. It is not the dull titanium grey like is often seen on knives. It is a beautiful razor.

View attachment 1398653View attachment 1398654View attachment 1398655

Shave: As soon as I got it I disinfected it and washed it. I put a hot steamy towel on my face while I lathered up the bowl and brush. I popped a Feather blade in the razor and then made a pass down my cheek. OMG! Going down my face it was slicker than snot on a door knob! That polished Ti seemed to glide down my face. The whole shave was like that. The weight of the razor really helped. It is twice as heavy as the aluminum version, so I did not use pressure. I just let the weight of the razor do the work. I got a fantastic shave. I am not saying this to be a fan boy. I would be critical if I thought there was merit. But, this razor gave me one of the best shaves I have ever gotten in two passes. The shave was extremely smooth, no dragging, tugging, sticking, or anything. I got no irritations. It is so efficient that I accidentally shaved through part of my thick mustache without realizing it and took it down to the skin in one stroke. Well, it will grow back.

Finish: I have already mentioned how it is nicely finished. The photos don't do it justice. It is a really good looking razor. It is as good as it could be. The lazer cuts really pick up the light and sparkle. The handle is a bit more polished than the head, as can be seen. The head has a nice, semi-gloss, smooth finish that wants to glide across the surface of my face.

The handle looks smooth in the pictures, but in reality, it is not. Those bands are actually raised and those lazer cuts are very sharp. It sticks in my hand as good as any knurling, even with soap.

Fit: The fit, too, is what you'd expect from Henson. It is tight and perfect. I had zero issues with the bronze threads. Unscrewing and screwing in the handle was smooth, like butter. Very nice, indeed.

I am a happy camper. I have no buyers remorse and no regrets. This razor is worth every penny (to me it is).
Glad you like the Ti22......knew you would.:001_smile I use mine periodically and love the results.

I love my Henson Medium. I use a GSB blade with it. The Henson is my current favorite. When I first got it I used it for a straight month. My other razors needed a turn but it will be back soon enough.

20220203_095406-01-01.jpeg
The Perma-Sharp went well with the Henson today. 3 passes resulted in an effortless BBS face feel (wtg, atg and another atg - the Henson is one of the few DE razors I can have more than one atg pass without loosing comfort and without getting redness or irritated skin.)

I need to try some of those. Yesterday, I put an Astra in my medium Ti22 and decided not to go ATG or XTG. I only went WTG to see what would happen. Two passes and it did surprizingly well. It was not as close as I would get shaving normally, but it was good enough for the office. I don't have any other razors that will do that.

I need to try some of those. Yesterday, I put an Astra in my medium Ti22 and decided not to go ATG or XTG. I only went WTG to see what would happen. Two passes and it did surprizingly well. It was not as close as I would get shaving normally, but it was good enough for the office. I don't have any other razors that will do that.
My favorite blade in my Ti22 is a Rapira Swedish Super Steel....super smooth and comfortable. Perma-sharp works pretty well too.

My getting-to-know-you period has concluded. For someone wanting to shift from (or complement) cartridge razors, the Henson is as painless a transition as it gets right now. For people steeped in traditional DE, it requires a bit of a learning curve to get to BBS levels. Short, but it's there.

In many ways, it's like going from Android to iOS, or from a stick shift to an automatic. It takes a lot of guesswork out of the equation. I think this is a good thing but there is a risk (albeit too early to tell) that it might render part of the DE experience more sterile. I think a segment of what makes people stay with the DE is the "cracking the code" journey. Figuring what pressure and angle works with what portion of one's face, etc. And when great results are gained, the personal satisfaction is undeniably there.

For me, I really like the convenience and consistency it provides with less thought and effort required. I am sticking to the Henson for daily use, at least Monday to Friday. I’m thinking of getting a spare should work require me to travel again, though that’s not likely within this year or even next.

With that, I look forward to focusing my attention on rediscovering silvertip badger. Should have my new brush in a few weeks. Will be interesting to see how I take to it after years of using nothing but synthetics.

I’m nothing but pleased with my Henson. The only thing is I’m second guessing my decision to get the mild. Perhaps I should have got the medium? No way to know but try it. But then again, the mild is delivering as good a shave as any cartridge ever did, with no face distress. Next shave I’ll be using a Feather blade in the mild.

I’m nothing but pleased with my Henson. The only thing is I’m second guessing my decision to get the mild. Perhaps I should have got the medium? No way to know but try it. But then again, the mild is delivering as good a shave as any cartridge ever did, with no face distress. Next shave I’ll be using a Feather blade in the mild.
I'm thinking of getting myself a mild AL13 (not Ti22). I am very happy with the medium Ti22, but I put a Feather and an Astra in my wife's mild (.68) and got a really good shave in two passes. Sure, another pass could have given me a BBS, but the shave was good enough for work and most anything else. Plus, the shave was very pleasant. I was thinking it might be easier on my face since I shave daily. I don't know, but touching up is effortless. The medium gives me a perfect shave in two passes, but touching up against the across the grain requires a little more thought...not much, but a little. Still, I have no regrets about the medium at all. I think it is like buying Spydercos. I have to have an excuse to buy another one.

Perhaps the mild is where I need to be. It seems at least with an Astra blade that I can take as many passes in as many directions as I need to get the shave I’m after, and no weepers, no irritation, and a wee bit of sting from the aftershave.

Perhaps the mild is where I need to be. It seems at least with an Astra blade that I can take as many passes in as many directions as I need to get the shave I’m after, and no weepers, no irritation, and a wee bit of sting from the aftershave.
It might indeed be your Jam. I originally had an AL13 with both the mild and medium heads and found once I went to the medium I never pulled the mild out again. I sold the AL13 and bought the Ti22 in medium. Used that for a year and recently bought a Yates which I am liking very much, but even though I wanted "the one" I am probably going to keep both razors.
You may find the same that sometimes you want to shave with one (mild), and sometimes the other (medium).

I think this is a good thing but there is a risk (albeit too early to tell) that it might render part of the DE experience more sterile. I think a segment of what makes people stay with the DE is the "cracking the code" journey. Figuring what pressure and angle works with what portion of one's face, etc. And when great results are gained, the personal satisfaction is undeniably there.
You have articulated very well what has held me back from pulling the trigger on the Henson. I have no doubt that it is a great razor and I may end up giving it a try.

I don't think there is any danger of the Henson making shaving sterile. One still has to watch the angle to get the best possible shave. Plus, it is still very possible to scrape your skin with the Medium if the angle is not adhered to. It is also possible to get more blade feel by changing the angle of attack slightly (not something I personally want). Like any other razor, technique is important. I am still learning the Henson, even after many shaves. It certainly is the most intuitive razor, but that does not mean there is nothing to learn. For example, how can I keep my focus on the perfect angle so the razor glides and cuts off everything in the fewest possible passes?

What you say is true; you still have to execute. Just for me with the mild, it either cuts or doesn’t; there’s no injury sustained for poor performance. Yet!

Top Bottom