2-6-23 Mon. AM

SWS: 6 of 52
365: 37 of 365
FEB GRUME still in

Razor: Henson al13+
Blade: Treet platinum (3)
Soap: B&M Seville
Brush: Omega 50014

After yesterday I stuck to 2 passes. A nice DFS+. Didnt need any post shave but splashed on a bit of Clubman just cause I wanted to. Used the @Marco method of loading with a wet brush, worked well had. Still not a fan of the scent of Seville, cannot argue with the results tho. Are there any other currently available B&M soaps that lean more toward citrusy?

Be well
Jay

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
Since I bought a Timeless Crown handle in titanium, I am not sure I want to use any other handle with any razor!

I'll show you mine, if you show me yours!

Timeless Polished Crown Handle!
proxy.php

Mmmm, its enough to make me hungry looking at it. Which is why I am eating a salad right now. 😋

Henson+++, Nacet (shave 4)

EA7B91B0-A135-4BDA-A4A7-3A65A153DE7D.jpeg

It only took 22 tries (10 last spring, 12 recently), but I finally unlocked the "No cuts with a Henson +++" achievement. I wasn't even supposed to shave with this today, I was supposed to have the Le Maurice passaround by now, but the USPS had other ideas. I was on day 3 today and getting itchy, so I didn't want to wait and have it not arrive again today.

I will say that the Henson didn't give a rat's butt that I had 3 days stubble, it mowed it down like it was nothing. 2 passes as usual and another nice BBS-. Again more alum feedback than I expect with no cuts - none/light on cheeks, light/moderate on neck, jawlines, and goatee.

I'll be looking to use both the ++ and the +++ after my 2 weeks with Le Maurice, but if recent history is any indication, I expect to find I get closer shaves but more weepers with the +++ (though hopefully I'll be able to repeat today's result a few more times too).

Henson+++, Nacet (shave 4)

View attachment 1602010

It only took 22 tries (10 last spring, 12 recently), but I finally unlocked the "No cuts with a Henson +++" achievement. I wasn't even supposed to shave with this today, I was supposed to have the Le Maurice passaround by now, but the USPS had other ideas. I was on day 3 today and getting itchy, so I didn't want to wait and have it not arrive again today.

I will say that the Henson didn't give a rat's butt that I had 3 days stubble, it mowed it down like it was nothing. 2 passes as usual and another nice BBS-. Again more alum feedback than I expect with no cuts - none/light on cheeks, light/moderate on neck, jawlines, and goatee.

I'll be looking to use both the ++ and the +++ after my 2 weeks with Le Maurice, but if recent history is any indication, I expect to find I get closer shaves but more weepers with the +++ (though hopefully I'll be able to repeat today's result a few more times too).

Maybe the +++ prefers a longer stubble? You could reserve it for those days.

Fantastic shave today!
Razor: Henson Ti22 V2 +
Blade: Gillette Platinum (2)

Best news is that at Simpsons request I mailed my brush to them for analysis. They've never seen anything like it. They're going to send me a replacement! Simpsons = Awesome customer service!
IMG_2340.jpg

IMG_2340.jpg

Razor: Henson AL13 V1+
Blade: Sharp Durablade Stainless (green) (3)
Soap: Arko
Brush: Generic badger that I bought off of Amazon (that I actually really like)
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Ice Blue followed by Nivea Sensitive balm

Well...the Sharp Durablade Stainless did well on the first shave, ok on the second, and died on the third. I'll give another one a go, but this might be one of those that doesn't have any staying power.

Razor: Henson AL13 V1+
Blade: Sharp Durablade Stainless (green) (3)
Soap: Arko
Brush: Generic badger that I bought off of Amazon (that I actually really like)
Aftershave: Aqua Velva Ice Blue followed by Nivea Sensitive balm

Well...the Sharp Durablade Stainless did well on the first shave, ok on the second, and died on the third. I'll give another one a go, but this might be one of those that doesn't have any staying power.
All of that above being said, here I am 4 hours later and am surprised at how close the shave ended up being even though it was rough at the end.

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Fantastic shave today!
Razor: Henson Ti22 V2 +
Blade: Gillette Platinum (2)

Best news is that at Simpsons request I mailed my brush to them for analysis. They've never seen anything like it. They're going to send me a replacement! Simpsons = Awesome customer service!
View attachment 1602182
Congrats @awk_m4 on the new Simpson brush on its way to you. It sure sounds like Simpson customer service is first rate. I am still waiting for your custom brush to show up at your place and added to your photos. ;)

When a +++ v2 (aluminum) showed up on the BST I decided to pull the trigger...

I used it for the first time this morning, and I can say that the +++ performs well enough for me to consider it acceptable. (For me, the + was nearly useless and the ++ was only a bit better.)

For me, the +++ is almost, but not quite, as efficient as the Winning while maintaining the same ease-of-use. (One disclaimer is that I paired the Henson head with a stainless steel Maggard handle because I dislike the Henson handle.)

I used my customary 2.5 passes and got a socially acceptable shave without irritation, although I ended up with some "invisible" stubble in a few areas. I like the "low profile" head of the Henson.

I will use this razor a few more times to dial in my technique with it. There's almost no blade feel at all and I am somewhat puzzled at the use of the term "aggressive" for the +++ head. To me it feels quite mild.

IMO if Henson made a stainless steel and slightly more "aggressive" version they would have a true contender. The aluminum version is well made but too light, and titanium is just way too expensive (especially considering that the performance is already somewhat underwhelming for the price of the aluminum version).

The +++ is pretty good, but I get just as good of a shave, if not better, using the humble FOCS (which is a little over half the price of an aluminum Henson). The Henson has the "automatic" shave angle advantage, which probably makes it simpler to use for people switching from cartridge razors.

Overall, I like the Henson +++ if paired with a heavier handle, but I'm hesitant to recommend it because I consider the price-to-performance to be lacking. I will use it a few more times before delivering a final verdict, but for sure I like the +++ better than the + and ++ models.

Star_Wahl_Clipper_Treker

Likes a fat handle in his hand
When a +++ v2 (aluminum) showed up on the BST I decided to pull the trigger...

Congratulations! 🥳 Just remember to keep the safety on. ;)

I used it for the first time this morning, and I can say that the +++ performs well enough for me to consider it acceptable. (For me, the + was nearly useless and the ++ was only a bit better.)

For many folks on here, the + and ++ versions are considered to be quite mild. As such, it is usually recommended to operate with a Feather blade in them. However, I would strongly advice against that for the +++ versions, as your liable to get nicks and weepers before the shave is over. I am glad to hear that you are getting at least what you'd classify as, "acceptable" shaves.

I used my customary 2.5 passes and got a socially acceptable shave without irritation, although I ended up with some "invisible" stubble in a few areas. I like the "low profile" head of the Henson.

I personally use customary 3 passes, with occasional .5 more for pick up time touch ups. But thats for razors that arn't very efficient, I don't usually do the .5 more for efficient razors. When I first began traditional wet shaving, I was getting irritation from my Feather AS-D2, while trying to aim for a BBS shave. Now days, I have quality soaps, pre-shave, and better razors, and can do BBS without irritation. If I am BBS, I am beyond socially acceptable, I am downright socially irresistible. Who could resist this face? 🤪 Joke!

I will use this razor a few more times to dial in my technique with it. There's almost no blade feel at all and I am somewhat puzzled at the use of the term "aggressive" for the +++ head. To me it feels quite mild.

It is always good to develop ones wet shaving technique, in order to get better at using these razors. No, you wouldn't be feeling blade feel, as Henson razors use extremely limited blade exposure for safety. If you look at the blade close on end, you will see how the blade barely extends past the opening, and you will see how the blade is arched downward a bit.

IMO if Henson made a stainless steel and slightly more "aggressive" version they would have a true contender. The aluminum version is well made but too light, and titanium is just way too expensive (especially considering that the performance is already somewhat underwhelming for the price of the aluminum version).

Believe it or not, there are lots of folks on B&B who would like a stainless Henson razor. As I too agree that the aluminum is too light. It does allow me to whip that thing around quickly for quick shaving, but it almost feels like your holding a piece of plastic its so light. In the words of Elaine from Seinfeld, TOO LIGHT!

The Henson has the "automatic" shave angle advantage, which probably makes it simpler to use for people switching from cartridge razors.

That is exactly what Henson's intention was infact. The idea was to provide an extra safe safety razor, that was also intuitive enough, for a regular cart razor user, to operate. Henson's reputation are important to them, which is why they don't sell the +++ versions on their website. They fear that someone brand new to traditional wet shaving, is going to buy the +++ by accident, have terrible shaves, and then want to send it back for their money back.

Overall, I like the Henson +++ if paired with a heavier handle, but I'm hesitant to recommend it because I consider the price-to-performance to be lacking. I will use it a few more times before delivering a final verdict, but for sure I like the +++ better than the + and ++ models.

I too hate the handle on the Henson razors. And I can't believe that they didn't come out with a better handle, when they came out with their much more expensive titanium versions. I mean geez, if you compare the Henson handles to Timeless Crown handles. The Timeless Crown handles chew Hensons handles up and spit them out for breakfast!

Anyways, I too had to switch my handle, so I chose the Razorock Halo handle, off of a Razorock Baby Smooth razor. I chose it specifically, because the color is almost a 100% match. Since my razor is blue in color, it was important to match up the colors. If I had chose the regular silver versions, I could use any handle on my Henson razor, including the Timeless Crown handles.

proxy.php
IMG_4046.JPG

proxy.php
proxy.php

Henson +++
RK India domestic Stainless blade(not Henson version)
RV 23mm Muhle Keyhole

full

I don't know what Henson specified with their branded blades, but these ones are fine. Unremarkable, but not tuggy. I had a really nice easy shave today with the +++. Two passes, skipped the touchups, and call it good enough!

This is what the Hensons are great at. I am sticking with my original statement that this razor design is at it's limit with blade exposure, after using the Kai and switching back to normal width blades. It's not that I can't get a comfortable, drama free shave from a Kai, it's that that little bit extra takes away the Henson's speed shave advantage. I intend to try some blades that are usually too sharp for me, not Feathers, and see how that goes next.

Congrats @awk_m4 on the new Simpson brush on its way to you. It sure sounds like Simpson customer service is first rate. I am still waiting for your custom brush to show up at your place and added to your photos. ;)
Thank you! Earlier today I received an email from Simpsons that my replacement has been shipped and according to the tracking notification it is being shipped from their home base on the Isle of Man. Very cool!

My new brush did arrive and I posed the details here!

Top Bottom