What's new

Henson Razor Club.

Ok all, I'm back. Again thanks for all of the replies as they were all super helpful. Just finished a sahve and it was way better. I took the advice of a sharper blade, although I have some nacet blades I have yet to try them so I went with a sharp blade I know, a feather. I made sure the blade was tight like it should be and focused on a really light touch. After three passes and a lot of touching up it's BBS. Using the alum block I did have feedback especially on my neck but not alot. But to be fair it was several days of growth and not a couple days as I intended, just got to busy. All in all, a great shave.

A Welcome Home Shave for my Henson Al13 Mild

Razor: Henson Al13 (mild for the face, medium for the dome)
Blade: Astra SP
Soap: Mitchell's Wool Fat
Brush: Simpson's Trafalgar 3
IMG_20211119_082505921.jpg

My Henson mild had been out on loan since April and just found its way back home to me. I did not realize how very much I missed Ol' Blue. I am pleased to report an effortless BBS shave with no irritation at all. The Henson is truly a miracle razor for my skin. This is the absolute best face shave I have experienced for a while. Simple 3 pass face shave gave BBS with no need for touch ups at all in the usual places on the jawline and neck. Really amazing. Medium gave its standard BBS on the solar panel with 2 passes plus light touch up.

Recently acquired a Henson Ti +++. Fantastic.

Still experimenting with which blade to use. Tonight's shave I used a Kai. Good, but I think I can achieve better results using Nacet or London Bridge. At least that was my experience with the ++.
Is the Ti worth the upgrade from aluminum? I can't imagine it being better. But after today's shave, I am (almost) considering selling every thing else to upgrade to Ti. For me, the Henson is just that good.

My ol'blue is a medium, not that anybody asked.

Yates is supposed to actually be making a Ti next year. The geometry is nearly the same, so maybe get on the list for that one since the Henson isn't available easily.
Blue is my favorite color. I was disappointed it was unavailable when I added the medium right before the price increase.

I actually have the Yates 921. To be honest, the Yates and the Henson are far and away my favorite razors out of the 30-something I have tried. The Yates brings the same feeling of comfort and safety with wonderful efficiency. If I absolutely had to pick only 1, I would keep the Yates, only because it is stainless and probably more durable than aluminum.

All that being said, I really cannot justify the much higher premium cost that titanium requires. I am quite content with what I have in both brands.

Blue is my favorite color. I was disappointed it was unavailable when I added the medium right before the price increase.

I actually have the Yates 921. To be honest, the Yates and the Henson are far and away my favorite razors out of the 30-something I have tried. The Yates brings the same feeling of comfort and safety with wonderful efficiency. If I absolutely had to pick only 1, I would keep the Yates, only because it is stainless and probably more durable than aluminum.

All that being said, I really cannot justify the much higher premium cost that titanium requires. I am quite content with what I have in both brands.
I was thinking to myself as I posted that, who did I get most of my Yates info from...

I don't know what the Ti Hensons are going for on the second hand market, but it already a lot if they would ever sell them new again.

My problem is the handles on most of these razors. I have my own and only want to buy a head. Unless something changes, my order for a Timeless Ti head will be in in 2 weeks. It's just within reason and I have a handle just waiting. I like razors that bend the blade a lot, but I don't love the hard flat side of the Henson. The Yates is a nice compromise.

Is the Ti worth the upgrade from aluminum? I can't imagine it being better. But after today's shave, I am (almost) considering selling every thing else to upgrade to Ti. For me, the Henson is just that good.
IME, Don't think so. I already have Medium Henson AL13, and had chance to try Ti Aggressive. Feel and the weight of titanium always feel good in hand, but I dunno if it's worth the 4 or 5 times the price, considering it doesn't give a dramatic difference in shave. Only has the different sound when cutting the beard. That's all.

This is also an experience of my friend. which he is an early adapter of Henson.

Eben Stone

Staff member
If you're happy with the medium then probably not.

The titanium is slightly heavier, the handle slightly more grippy.

The +++ is slightly more efficient than the ++ but, IMO, both are mild and have the same blade feel (aka none).

I'm only two shaves in, my opinions might change after I get more dialing in.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
IME, Don't think so. I already have Medium Henson AL13, and had chance to try Ti Aggressive. Feel and the weight of titanium always feel good in hand, but I dunno if it's worth the 4 or 5 times the price, considering it doesn't give a dramatic difference in shave. Only has the different sound when cutting the beard. That's all.

This is also an experience of my friend. which he is an early adapter of Henson.
These are my thoughts. After working in the metals industry for several years I know that the aluminum anodizing will wear through eventually. I don’t believe the titanium will ever have a wear problem in a lifetime of use.

Where the crossover point is between the two is anyone’s guess. I’m more concerned with future replacements. If the Henson company quit making razors completely, my titanium will shave on, ad infinitum. So for me the value lies in its longevity of use to me without concern for replacement, which may not exist twenty years from now.

These are my thoughts. After working in the metals industry for several years I know that the aluminum anodizing will wear through eventually. I don’t believe the titanium will ever have a wear problem in a lifetime of use.

Where the crossover point is between the two is anyone’s guess. I’m more concerned with future replacements. If the Henson company quit making razors completely, my titanium will shave on, ad infinitum. So for me the value lies in its longevity of use to me without concern for replacement, which may not exist twenty years from now.
What happens to the aluminium, when the anodizing wears out?

Thank you.

I doubt it will be a problem. It may look weathered but Alluminium english Gillette techs without a coating are still there and they shave fine as they are. Now if you drop one and it get bend you might have a problem.

OldSaw

The wife's investment
What happens to the aluminium, when the anodizing wears out?

Thank you.
I’m not sure how it will affect this razor. The anodizing gives it a certain level of protection and color. It may be primarily a color component for this razor and might have zero impact on its long term usability.

Actually the sometimes sticky phenomenon aka vacuum effect might go away without the coating. I know my focus dynamic r48 has it while it’s stainless cousin did not and the same applies to a allu tech not sticking and my coated paa alpha ecliptic slant who did. But all those coated razors also have a relative big flat piece to the face as an angle guide. And nooo not going to grind my Hensons coating away just to proof.

I suppose with a little research we could figure out which aluminum alloy Henson uses to best guess how the metal will react when the anodizing wears off and the metal is exposed. Due to the other metals in the mix not all alloys are as resistant as pure aluminum, but my hope is when my al13 medium starts to wear, the aluminum will get that protective surface oxidation and essentially patina over time.
Bought this hoping it'd be the one DE I ever own, straights are a different story I definitely need to add more of those to my collection.
Interesting theory about the suction effect, I hadn't thought about how different surfaces may interact in different ways, that shape wasn't the only factor in that.

First shave with the AL13 medium today...so far I'm really impressed.

A weeks or so ago I wrote in a SOTD thread that the DE89 was the king of smooth -- well, the old king has been dethroned by the Henson. Still to be determined is how efficient the AL13 is compared to my other razors. I already know that the Henson is more efficient than the DE89, but that is not saying much since an old butter knife can give you a closer shave.

First shave with the AL13 medium today...so far I'm really impressed.

A weeks or so ago I wrote in a SOTD thread that the DE89 was the king of smooth -- well, the old king has been dethroned by the Henson. Still to be determined is how efficient the AL13 is compared to my other razors. I already know that the Henson is more efficient than the DE89, but that is not saying much since an old butter knife can give you a closer shave.
If the efficiency seems low after a few shaves, there are a couple tricks to deal with the light weight.
If that doesn't do it, there is always the Kai blades!

If the efficiency seems low after a few shaves, there are a couple tricks to deal with the light weight.
If that doesn't do it, there is always the Kai blades!
The efficiency seems fine. My favorite razor so far is an aluminum Standard Razor, so the weight is not a problem for me.

I was looking for something to replace my DE89 (a smooth and more efficient model). The only thing I don't like about the Henson (many have mentioned this) is that sometimes you can't hear it cutting the whiskers. The Standard is the "noisiest" razor I own, while the AL13 seems to be the quietest.

The day after the 1st shave report:

The Standard Razor seems to be more efficient than the Henson (medium). The Henson is more efficient than the DE89.

I have a couple of bumps on the right side of my face, but I'm blaming my technique (bad, since it was my 1st shave) for any issues.

Both the DE89 and the Henson, I think, are well suited for a carefree and/or quick shave.

The Standard is still my favorite. I think this one is not as popular because when it came out it was one of the first aluminum razors and people preferred (and they still do) stainless steel. The main complain was that it was too light. Perhaps the Henson can challenge the Standard when my technique with the AL13 improves. I think that the Henson is a better shaver than my Timeless and my Lupo aluminum razors.

Eben Stone

Staff member
If you're happy with the medium then probably not.

The titanium is slightly heavier, the handle slightly more grippy.

The +++ is slightly more efficient than the ++ but, IMO, both are mild and have the same blade feel (aka none).

I'm only two shaves in, my opinions might change after I get more dialing in.
I'm now 6 shaves in with the Henson TI +++. In terms of efficiency, the +++ does have a noteworthy increase, but it's difficult to say exactly how much more. I'm so accustomed to my more efficient razors also having more blade feel, that in comparison, the Henson seems to work like magic eraser. My last two shaves with the +++ were absolutely fantastic.

Top Bottom