What's new

Henson mild vs High proof razor, thoughts?

HI it's my first post ever on B&B!

I have been a cartridge and disposable razor users (mach 3 and Blue 2) and I really enjoy carefree and quick shaving. But now I am looking for more economic and durable alternatives for a long haul.

I recently got myself leaf twig as a transition from cartridge to safety razor. I have used for 7 times, but I really don't like it! got me lots of nicks, and it is so heavy to maintain the right angle. And because of fixed head, I got nicks on the chin area. And I have to constantly finding the right angle. So I am looking for a way out: Henson al13 or High proof razor

Henson al13: I like the fact that they claim it is a good transition from cartridge and hard to get a nick and almost no learning curve, and the price is reasonable. But it is not pivotal head

High proof: I like the pivotal head a lot coz mach 3 is my favourite and I really like carefree shaving. I don't care about the price if it can last for years, but I really don't find a lot of people buying it and I am a bit skeptical about how well can a small magnet hold the blade and not falling off with stronger pressure and when against the grain.

Can you give me some advice? which one should I go for?

thank you very much!!!

Last edited:
While I haven't personally used these razors, I would suggest the Henson for a couple of reasons. First, they offer a trial period with a money-back guarantee (100 days, I believe), making it essentially risk-free. Second, its common form factor makes it easier to transition to other DE razors if you decide to explore further down the line.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.

I've had all 3 Hensons (mild, medium, aggressive) in V1 and V2 and sold them all. I have a High Proof but honestly, I rarely use it because I have many other razors I like better (Blackbird, Timeless, Vector, Hawk, Athena, etc).

In my opinion, the High Proof would be the easiest transition from a Mach 3 because of the pivoting head. No need to worry about the magnets, they perform perfectly.

Having said that the Henson is quite easy to use because the angle is basically built into the razor. My wife has 2 Hensons (V1 and V2) and absolutely loves them. If you decide on Henson I would recommend the mild.

Both razors come with a money-back guarantee and some blades. The High Proof comes with a stand which is actually a hanger that attaches to a mirror or wall.

Oh, and welcome to B&B!

I have both and like both. If you want to learn how to DE shave, get the Henson. If you want cheaper blades for a cartridge-like shave, get the High Proof. Or if you are like me, get both. ;) Both have money-back guarantees.
is the magnet strong enough to within the resistance? thanks

I've had all 3 Hensons (mild, medium, aggressive) in V1 and V2 and sold them all. I have a High Proof but honestly, I rarely use it because I have many other razors I like better (Blackbird, Timeless, Vector, Hawk, Athena, etc).

In my opinion, the High Proof would be the easiest transition from a Mach 3 because of the pivoting head. No need to worry about the magnets, they perform perfectly.

Having said that the Henson is quite easy to use because the angle is basically built into the razor. My wife has 2 Hensons (V1 and V2) and absolutely loves them. If you decide on Henson I would recommend the mild.

Both razors come with a money-back guarantee and some blades. The High Proof comes with a stand which is actually a hanger that attaches to a mirror or wall.

Oh, and welcome to B&B!
thank youuuu!

While I haven't personally used these razors, I would suggest the Henson for a couple of reasons. First, they offer a trial period with a money-back guarantee (100 days, I believe), making it essentially risk-free. Second, its common form factor makes it easier to transition to other DE razors if you decide to explore further down the line.

Best of luck with whatever you decide.
I might get into DE shaving haha

Both of these razors will require more pressure than your average ej89/37c double edge razor designs. The Henson mild is not as efficient as the High proof. The Henson aggressive +++ is closer to matching efficiency. The High proof is more innovative with magnets and the head swivels making it feel more like a cartridge razor. I use the Henson +++ more often than the High proof but when I want a quick shave the High proof gets the nod.

I have the Hansen Mild V1 great razor with the right blade. Easy to find the right angle. As far as an easy transition from Carts to De razors I would also recommend The black plastic Wilkinson Sword Classic for $6. Great shave easy to find the angle good starter de in my opinion.

Both of these razors will require more pressure than your average ej89/37c double edge razor designs. The Henson mild is not as efficient as the High proof. The Henson aggressive +++ is closer to matching efficiency. The High proof is more innovative with magnets and the head swivels making it feel more like a cartridge razor. I use the Henson +++ more often than the High proof but when I want a quick shave the High proof gets the nod.
Perhaps they require more pressure than a DE89/37C (no experience with them) but a Henson will absolutely penalize you if you load up a Feather and use too much pressure. Ask me how i know ;-)

... Thom

Top Bottom