What's new

Henson DE Razor Aggressive vs Medium?

hey so I was wonder is the Henson DE Razor Aggressive vs Medium much of a difference in it?

Is it worth the upgrade to aggressive?

I'm awaiting the yaqi tile so see how that pans out too

Well, I had the Ti in both and for me, the medium has been a far better shave than the agro. The Med just seems to be a more intuitive and more forgiving razor than the aggressive. That was after using various blades like the Astras, Polsilvers, Feathers, Wizamets etc. The medium delivers a GREAT shave with just about any blade I tossed into it. I truly like this razor and if you're a fan of aggressive razors...go for it...but, if you're a fan of comfortable, efficient and easy to reach for razors...go medium.

Well, I had the Ti in both and for me, the medium has been a far better shave than the agro. The Med just seems to be a more intuitive and more forgiving razor than the aggressive. That was after using various blades like the Astras, Polsilvers, Feathers, Wizamets etc. The medium delivers a GREAT shave with just about any blade I tossed into it. I truly like this razor and if you're a fan of aggressive razors...go for it...but, if you're a fan of comfortable, efficient and easy to reach for razors...go medium.
Ive got the medium and had it for some time, I love it just wished it was a bit more efficient, saying that I read there's hardly anything in it between the mild and medium hence why I thought I'd ask

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
I'm awaiting the yaqi tile so see how that pans out too
I have a Yaqi Tile head that looks similar to the Henson razor and found it mild with a Regular DE blade, I just install a nice Kai SS blade that is extra wide by 9/1000 of a inch or 4.5/1000 per side and it brought the Tile head up to a mid range razor and shaves well. The Henson is machined more accurately IMO. V2 Tile head is much better machined accurately than the V1 Tile head they first one they sent me(Top cap problems). I'm happy with the V2 Tile razor now. A Feather blade worked well in the Tile head also IMO.
YY KAI SS DE Blade Kai .871inch wide Astra SP .862 wide-2.jpg
Have some great shaves!

Ive got the medium and had it for some time, I love it just wished it was a bit more efficient, saying that I read there's hardly anything in it between the mild and medium hence why I thought I'd ask
That's kinda like saying "I love my wife , I just wish she had..." Dude, you got a great razor...what else are you looking for? The Unicorn? Guess what? It don't exist. There's always gonna be something else out there that claims to be the "best". For me it's gonna be about design and relative efficiency. I love the looks of some of the new razors but not necessarily the price when you compare that to how it shaves etc.

I have a Yaqi Tile head that looks similar to the Henson razor and found it mild with a Regular DE blade, I just install a nice Kai SS blade that is extra wide by 9/1000 of a inch or 4.5/1000 per side and it brought the Tile head up to a mid range razor and shaves well. The Henson is machined more accurately IMO. V2 Tile head is much better machined accurately than the V1 Tile head they first one they sent me(Top cap problems). I'm happy with the V2 Tile razor now. A Feather blade worked well in the Tile head also IMO.
View attachment 1421176
Have some great shaves!
Yea Henson I expect to be better quality just not sure if the yaqi will be more aggressive then the medium

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Yea Henson I expect to be better quality just not sure if the yaqi will be more aggressive then the medium
I'm sure you will be happy with the Tile head, if you need some more blade feel just install a Kai SS blade and you will notice the difference, its the perfect razor to feel the differences of a regular blade compared to the Kai little extra wider blade. It is superior to shimming any razor for better efficentcy IMO. Also the Kai SS blade has excellent longevity for the extra price you pay for them. The Sputnik blade is also a extra wide blade but it is hard to find them here in Canada.

Reactions: saj
I am just surprised so many here use at least the medium version. I own the AL13 mild and I can get a reliable BBS with 2 passes every single time. I am not sure why I would even try something more efficient. For those who have used mild and medium....how big a difference is it?

I'm sure you will be happy with the Tile head, if you need some more blade feel just install a Kai SS blade and you will notice the difference, its the perfect razor to feel the differences of a regular blade compared to the Kai little extra wider blade. It is superior to shimming any razor for better efficentcy IMO. Also the Kai SS blade has excellent longevity for the extra price you pay for them. The Sputnik blade is also a extra wide blade but it is hard to find them here in Canada.
i normally prefer sharper blades so will be interested to see how it performs with the likes of feather, bic chrome and nacet

thanks for your help :)

I am just surprised so many here use at least the medium version. I own the AL13 mild and I can get a reliable BBS with 2 passes every single time. I am not sure why I would even try something more efficient. For those who have used mild and medium....how big a difference is it?
theres different factor to take into consideration, like everyone's whiskers are different for a start, like me mate ive got thick, coarse hair so i need something that isnt too mild

For me the difference is in blade feel. I did a side-by-side shave with both the mild and medium. The mild left more stubble after pass 1 than the medium. After 3 passes, both left me with the exact same BBS result. The mild has no blade feel at all, is very comfortable, and is remarkably efficient. The medium has a slight touch of blade feel. For my use the mild is preferred on my more sensitive face and the medium on the head (most people feel opposite to me).

With a Henson if a person wants more blade feel, a longer/wider blade is all that's needed. Some blades are a little wider than the Astra and they stick out more and give more blade feel, but it also means it is possible to skin yourself if you don't watch your angles. I think the aggressive would do that, as well, and someone might get weepers. However, if a person has gorilla hair, then perhaps an aggressive is the right choice. For everybody else, a mild or medium with the right blade are best. My opinion only.

For me the difference is in blade feel. I did a side-by-side shave with both the mild and medium. The mild left more stubble after pass 1 than the medium. After 3 passes, both left me with the exact same BBS result. The mild has no blade feel at all, is very comfortable, and is remarkably efficient. The medium has a slight touch of blade feel. For my use the mild is preferred on my more sensitive face and the medium on the head (most people feel opposite to me).
Ewk is spot on. They both get pretty comparable shaves but the medium will just get you there faster with less passes. I’ve had both and once I got the medium I never turned back. I even then bought the ti22 medium because I knew that was the Goldilocks for me.

If you want more aggression and/or blade feel with the mild version, try loosening it 1/4 to 1/2 turn. The blade is still well secured, and it will have a little more "umph".

If you want more aggression and/or blade feel with the mild version, try loosening it 1/4 to 1/2 turn. The blade is still well secured, and it will have a little more "umph".
Alternatively you use a shim blade and tighten as normal. The you don’t have to worry about it getting loser.

well that is so easy.....different faces, different places

I have both and use both, but I prefer the ++. The reason is that with the + I will have more stubble on my face at the end f a working day. With the ++ it takes me until later at night to get to the same level of needing to shave. Otherwise, they are both great and I can get a near BBS feeling shave in two passes with a bit of touch up with either.

Looking at the published specs, I have a hard time accepting that the Henson "Aggressive" is aggressive.
Probably aggressive in elation to Henson Mild.
Seems like a nice razor for daily shaves...The gap is 0.99 mm and the exposure looks minimal to me.
A storm in a Ti cup?

The way I see Henson aggression (and this is just IMO) is this:

TI adds a +.

So to me, my TI++ shaves similarly to my AL+++, and my TI+++ seems more aggressive than my AL+++.

I think the + nomenclature applies uniformly across both variants ...AL and Ti.
The differences between an AL and Ti Henson of the same specs will be due
to parameters like weight and the face feel of the materials.

Top Bottom