What's new

Henson AL13 Mild vs. Karve Aluminum Overlander

I like mild+efficient+aluminum. I'm currently using an RR Lupo aluminum and GC68, and prefer the former. I'm undecided on whether to get the Henson or Karve next. Opinions and experiences welcome.

I have the original Henson medium in aluminum and the Overlander in brass. I prefer the Overlander. I think they both shave equivalently but I prefer the experience with the Overlander. I find the Henson has a bit of a suction effect which I find a tad uncomfortable, and I prefer razors with more heft than aluminum. I also find the Overlander to be more forgiving of angle. I do use the Henson as my travel razor and it does perform well but I use the Overlander as my daily razor at home.

You are probably looking for an aluminum-to-aluminum comparison and I can't provide that.

I have the original Henson medium in aluminum and the Overlander in brass. I prefer the Overlander. I think they both shave equivalently but I prefer the experience with the Overlander. I find the Henson has a bit of a suction effect which I find a tad uncomfortable, and I prefer razors with more heft than aluminum. I also find the Overlander to be more forgiving of angle. I do use the Henson as my travel razor and it does perform well but I use the Overlander as my daily razor at home.

You are probably looking for an aluminum-to-aluminum comparison and I can't provide that.
True that. But every little bit of feedback helps, so thanks.

I have a Henson mild, but haven’t use it much since I discovered the Overlander. I’m the same though - I don’t have the aluminum Overlander so can’t do a straight-up comparison.

The Overlander is my favourite razor. It’s efficient, easy to use and doesn’t cause any irritation. The Henson was solid for me too - just less efficient.

I have the Henson Mild Ti and Aluminum Overlander.. I definitely prefer the Overlander. Not by a huge margin.
Both are smooth and more efficient than they feel.

I have both, and really prefer the Overlander in Aluminum. The Henson shaves well, but the Overlander was the first razor that I could effectively shave the mustache area on my 2nd pass ATG without any irritation or cuts. Every other razor except for the last version of the Charcoal Goods Everyday razor would either leave a bit of stubble or leave me with a nick or two. Has anyone else had similar experiences with the Overlander & CG being better than most other razors for this area? If so, do you know of any other razors that can shave the mustache area as well or beter than these 2? I went through about a dozen different DE razors over the past year or so until I found these 2 razors which I consider "miracle razors".... Their shave quality is on another level, and I've bought & sold several "top notch" razors before I found these two. Before getting them I had previously thought the Hensons were the best.

Before I got into DE razors I was stuck shaving every 2-4 days with a Gillette Fusion, Mach 3 or Sensor Excel over my 40+ years of shaving, because daily shaving with them would leave me with awful irritation. I wish I had gotten into DE razors sooner, they just never seemed like a viable option until I stumbled onto a few Youtube videos that sang the praises of DE shaving, and I learned how to do it.. I hate to think of how much money I've wasted on crappy cartridge razors over all these years...

I have both, and really prefer the Overlander in Aluminum. The Henson shaves well, but the Overlander was the first razor that I could effectively shave the mustache area on my 2nd pass ATG without any irritation or cuts. Every other razor except for the last version of the Charcoal Goods Everyday razor would either leave a bit of stubble or leave me with a nick or two. Has anyone else had similar experiences with the Overlander & CG being better than most other razors for this area? If so, do you know of any other razors that can shave the mustache area as well or beter than these 2? I went through about a dozen different DE razors over the past year or so until I found these 2 razors which I consider "miracle razors".... Their shave quality is on another level, and I've bought & sold several "top notch" razors before I found these two. Before getting them I had previously thought the Hensons were the best.

Before I got into DE razors I was stuck shaving every 2-4 days with a Gillette Fusion, Mach 3 or Sensor Excel over my 40+ years of shaving, because daily shaving with them would leave me with awful irritation. I wish I had gotten into DE razors sooner, they just never seemed like a viable option until I stumbled onto a few Youtube videos that sang the praises of DE shaving, and I learned how to do it.. I hate to think of how much money I've wasted on crappy cartridge razors over all these years...
Thanks. If the Karve returns to stock soon then I'll likely grab it. (I'm on the notification list.) It's certainly compelling how often it gets recommended and how well liked it is.

Top Bottom