What's new

Henson AL13 mild give me cuts! - what in earth am I doing wrong? :)

Hi,
I am a newbie when it comes to shaving with a safety razors, I was always using cartridge 3 blade razors, even after those blades were dull, but I had no issues like with the Henson AL13.
I was looking for a safety razor that will not break after 10 years, and one that will not give me cuts even if I try :)
After reading lots and lots of reviews, I've decided to go with Henson AL13 mild, since there were a lot of users that have said that they used it with only water when shaving the mustache, and it still gave them no cuts, I tried 2 times with water + soap, and I have few cuts every time.

Can you guys tell me what the hell am I doing wrong with that razor? :)

P.S. I am shaving only my mustache, and I am using razor blades that were in the package with the safety razor (RK)

BR

First guess is way too much pressure. That is what I did. I thought I was using very little, but I had to go three steps lighter. Sometimes the light aluminum razor makes you think you have to push it down. You don't. By some Canadian magic it cuts even better with no pressure.

There are other improvements to be made as well, like use a thin coat of very slick lather. The Henson can float on a thick coat, which then makes you want to add pressure again. Then make sure you re-lather after each pass, don't keep scraping.

You've got this!

I am a newbie when it comes to shaving with a safety razors, I was always using cartridge 3 blade razors, even after those blades were dull
Welcome! I used Sensor Excel cartridges for most of 30 years, and the AL13 mild was my first safety razor as well.

I was looking for a safety razor that will not break after 10 years
A Henson should last a lifetime! 😀

and one that will not give me cuts even if I try :)
I get where you're coming from, there are plenty of reviews that say just that, "it won't cut you even if you try!" It's definitely a mild razor, but this is obviously hyperbole, coming from experienced safety razor users. It frustrated the heck out of me because I wasn't trying to cut myself, and yet I kept doing it!

Can you guys tell me what the hell am I doing wrong with that razor? :)

P.S. I am shaving only my mustache, and I am using razor blades that were in the package with the safety razor (RK)
Agreed with everyone above, it's too much pressure. Any safety razor will cut you if you apply pressure, but the Henson is the easiest to use that I've tried. It's also possible you're making too many passes over the same spot without adding soap back on. My mustache is where I'm most likely to get weepers still, just because the hairs are wiry and the skin there is particularly sensitive.

You'll get there though. Good luck!

As others have mentioned, no pressure should be applied. Also, make sure that the handle is tightly screwed on. You don't have to crank it down hard, but do make sure the handle can't be turned any more.

I agree on the pressure part. I used to get nicks and cuts with mine. I put it aside for a few months and used a different DE, then came back to it. Except now I wasn't using any pressure. WTG, XTG, ATG. Wonderful shave. No nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

For me, I know it's working when I feel it suction cup to my face. Others have described it as drag. Whatever you call it, when that happens, I know its working. Also make sure you're using a quality soap with a well hydrated lather.

Thanks everyone for the suggestions! I tried again with no pressure, and it works like a charm! Now I know that it was a good buy :)
Since I am starting, and I have no experience with safety razors, maybe you could give me some advice on some good razor blades? I have 4 RK blades from the Henson, and now with no pressure, I kind of like them, but maybe there are some better razor blades? I heard about feathers but those are quite expensive, but maybe worth it?
What do you use?

Best Regards!

Since I am starting, and I have no experience with safety razors, maybe you could give me some advice on some good razor blades? I have 4 RK blades from the Henson, and now with no pressure, I kind of like them, but maybe there are some better razor blades? I heard about feathers but those are quite expensive, but maybe worth it?
What do you use?
I like the RK blades, but opinions on those are generally mixed. Feathers are great, but they're about as sharp as they come. I'd hold off on trying those at least for a little while until you've gotten more used to the razor.

The Indian Gillette Wilkinson Sword is another blade I like that I think has more fans than RK. These I haven't tried, or only tried once awhile ago, but are generally recommended: Dorco Prime, Personna platinum chrome or lab blue, Super-Max diamond edge, Derby Premium. I hesitate to suggest any Russian blades, but there are also: Gillette Platinum, Gillette Silver Blue, or Astra (platinum or stainless). All of these are at least as sharp as RK, but less sharp than Feather.

I'd suggest going to razorbladesclub.com and getting a sampler. You can get one of their pre-selected samplers or build your own.

The problem is the blade. Those things are damn sharp and they can cut you. If you insist on using your razor with a blade inside it then you’ll need to learn some technique to use it comfortably and safely. 😁

As everyone said, the main thing new DE shavers get wrong is using too much pressure. You need a light touch and in fact the razor will cut your hair closer and more efficiently if you don’t add pressure (since pressure will deform your skin surface, make it less flat and harder to shave). It’s tempting to use pressure if the razor isn’t cutting your stubble close, but actually that is counter productive for the reason I described, and will hurt your skin, as you’ve seen. The only reason the razor isn’t cutting right is that your angle isn’t correct, so maintain a light touch, adjust the angle, and trust that the razor will cut. Maybe use shorter strokes because it is harder to maintain the correct angle on long strokes over the contours of your face. You could try stretching your skin to make the skin surface flatter, easier to keep the angle right, and just keep the pressure light.

All of that will work. You just need to practice. You will be using far too much pressure still even when you are sure you aren’t. And you will still not have the angle right. It takes time until these things become natural and automatic, but your shaves will keep improving as long as you focus every time on using less pressure and getting the angle more consistent. Be realistic that this is an exercise in continuous learning and improvement, and you’ll keep getting better but it may take years to master it. Along the way you will get a kick from how good your shaves are getting, but you’ll also have bad ones so note what wasn’t good and think about what you might do differently next time. Your face and hair are unique to you, your hair grows in unique directions, and you’ll only find the ideal technique for you by experimenting and learning what works best for you.

Aside from learning good razor technique, an equally important thing is your pre-shave preparation (and making a good lather, which I won’t go into but there are great threads her that you can search). For your pre-shave you want to soften your stubble and it makes such a huge difference to the shave when your stubble is soft. Your hair is made of keratin, same as your fingernails, and you surely know how much easier it is to cut your nails after a bath or soaking your hands in water. The pre-shave prep that works consistently for me is to wash my face with a glycerine or clay soap, which is excellent to strip the skin oil from my hair and allow the stubble to absorb water and soften. Then I rinse off the soap and leave my face wet while I start making my lather. I tend to smear wet lather on my face half way through to ensure my stubble doesn’t dry out while I’m still loading my brush with soap. That’s all you need to do to soften your beard and set yourself up for a good shave. I don’t believe in pre-shave oils or other products - the oils might make your skin slicker but oil prevents your hair from absorbing water and that’s way more important.

Sorry for the wall of text. It seems like a lot to learn but it’s simple, really, and I think it’s easier to learn things if you understand WHY they’re important and WHY they work.

Good luck. We’ve all been exactly where you are now.

As an aside, the Henson is an excellent razor. You have no need for anything else.

Last edited:
Congrats on figuring that out and making a big step forward, @Gzyniu!!

Like your plan, I then stepped up to a sharper blade and the Henson worked even better. I went with the Indian Gillette Wilkinson Sword blades that @T Bone suggested. They are medium-sharp, good quality, and cheap. They taught me another lesson, I got irritation because I was going over areas multiple times without re-lathering. I changed that and my shaves improved further. Then I went to even sharper blades and it got better.

So I'd recommend trying a medium-sharp blade like that one to see how it goes for you. You could buy a sampler pack, use the Great Blade Exchange here on B&B, or make your own sampler at a place like razor blades club. Happy shaves to you!

maybe there are some better razor blades? I heard about feathers but those are quite expensive, but maybe worth it?
What do you use?
A blade sample pack from any of the reputable vendors is a wise investment. In my experience, the blade is the most subjective and variable part of the shave. What works for me might not work for you. Some blades beloved by others give me a face full of weepers. Only way to learn is by trying them.

Henson used to ship with Astra SP blades, and they are what I almost always use in the Henson.

If you are in the US, once you able to PM, send me a message and I can send to you a few of my favorites.

Great to hear that you got it sorted out. I watched this HOW TO video on stretching the skin when shaving and it improved my results by leaps and bounds.

Like everyone else, I suggest you get a blade sampler pack and try a few different ones. The RK's really lit me up when I tried them. So do plain stainless blades like the Astra Superior Stainless. I tend to gravitate to the platinum variety.

Derby Premiums and Treet Platinum are my 'go-to' razors at the moment. They're middle of the road sharpness, but they seem to work for me.

I am glad that you have already dealt with this situation. But just in case, I will write too. You need to make sure that the blade is tightened enough. Try different blades. I have blades with which I cut despite experience. And others shave perfectly. Make sure there is no pressure on the razor. Otherwise, it starts to cut into the skin and cut it off as well. It is advisable to use a brush and soap for shaving. When shaving, do not pay attention to how you shaved this area. Apply foam and remove it with a razor, following hair growth. Apply a second time and shave this area diagonally. Apply a third time and work against hair growth. At this stage, you can already check the result, if necessary, you can walk 2-3 times in one place without foam. And a little pressure on the razor is already acceptable. And the skin, if you just started shaving, should get used to it. After a while, she herself will stop responding to the razor. If irritation persists, stop shaving in the opposite direction of hair growth. Limit yourself to two passes.

Top Bottom