What's new

Henson AL13 Mild and A Heavier Handle?

Looking around the forum I couldn’t quite find an answer so thought I’d just ask.

Has anyone swapped out the handle on the AL13 mild with something heavier, like stainless steel? If so, what handles fit? I tried a couple from razors I own and none are the right threading.

Thanks in advance!

I've sold my Hensons but I did use a Razorock titanium handle with them. These days I sometimes use that handle on my aluminum Lupo or Razorock ECO.

Most handles will fit, give any a try.

That said, I really like the lightness and maneuverability of the Henson. I feel like I should like a heavier razor, but when I just focus on the shave and the result, the Henson is amazing as it is. Either way, enjoy the shave!

Sure, you can put a heavier handle on it, do whatever you like and whatever makes you enjoy the shave more.

That said, I (and many others) over emphasized weight as a factor in razors. Sure, heft can be a proxy for quality, but it doesn't have to be. Now I don't care about weight, I just care about the quality of the shave. I have razors at the two extremes - the Henson, one of the lightest, and the Winning, one of the heaviest. Both give great shaves. That said, I think the Henson aggressive may give a better shave. The Winning is great, but it is so heavy I almost have to compensate for its weight.

So, what I am saying is use a heavier handle if you like, but that doesn't mean it is better. You might also want to try the ++ or the +++ Henson. The only thing that really matters is the quality of the shave.

👍 Agreed, what matters is the shave.

I haven't tried the aggressive Henson (and don't really have a desire to do so), but if it's more efficient than the medium then that's a good thing. The medium required too many passes for me to get to a decent shave and I don't like the light weight. The Winning is far better than the Henson ++ but that's just my opinion. Use what works for you!

Sure, you can put a heavier handle on it, do whatever you like and whatever makes you enjoy the shave more.

That said, I (and many others) over emphasized weight as a factor in razors. Sure, heft can be a proxy for quality, but it doesn't have to be. Now I don't care about weight, I just care about the quality of the shave. I have razors at the two extremes - the Henson, one of the lightest, and the Winning, one of the heaviest. Both give great shaves. That said, I think the Henson aggressive may give a better shave. The Winning is great, but it is so heavy I almost have to compensate for its weight.

So, what I am saying is use a heavier handle if you like, but that doesn't mean it is better. You might also want to try the ++ or the +++ Henson. The only thing that really matters is the quality of the shave.
Thanks for the input, and I get where you’re coming from. I actually get decent shaves from the Henson mild as is and have no qualms with sticking with it as one of my daily razors. And, really, it’s not about weight affecting the quality of the shave, it’s about how it feels in my hand. I like a heftier handle. Henson puts so much emphasis on its caps and plates being non-interchangeable (which, apparently, is incorrect per a few threads here), so wanted to see if the handle was swappable. I tried to put my 6S handle on, but the threads are different. So, figured I’d ask.

I borrowed a Henson Mild from a friend to try as the areas around my mouth are easily irritated. I was blown away by the exceptional results that none of my other razors can deliver in this area. I do like a bigger handle with more weight. Turns out my Muhle R96 handle mates up perfectly with the Henson head. Like they made for one another. Weight of the Henson handle is 24.73 grams on my scale. Muhle handle is 46.56 grams.

Needless to say that I placed an order for my own Henson.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    777.5 KB · Views: 72
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    822.8 KB · Views: 73
I was nervous a steel handle would strip the aluminum over time, so I sold off several of my razors and purchased the titanium. Same razor, quite a bit heavier.

ylekot

On the lookout for a purse
The Henson is an odd razor to me. It seems they designed it to shave and feel like a cartridge razor. I think this was largely successful.
I think you are absolutely correct. I was looking to replace the Bic Metal disposables due to the plastic. The Henson shaves very similar to the Bic for me.

When I first got my Henson al13+ I didnt care for the light weight, so I used a heavier handle. I found the balance to be...odd. Went back to the original handle, and have learned how much pressure to use for a nice smooth finish. I am coming to prefer light weight razors.

I was nervous a steel handle would strip the aluminum over time, so I sold off several of my razors and purchased the titanium. Same razor, quite a bit heavier.
As long as you are not torquing it on like you would a car wheel lug, it should be fine. I only crank my three piece razors to finger tightness.

Top Bottom