What's new

Henri et Victoria Duc de Santal Tallow Soap: First Impressions

B9960842-CACC-423D-9204-6E8D79D6AB02.jpeg
92F82808-323E-46FD-A71B-ECC6EE3DF195.jpeg
Just sampled this recently acquired Canadian artisan soap and wanted to share my initial impressions.

Used a rather wet Semogue 1800 into a bloomed puck and loaded it for about 30 seconds before I took it to my face.

The soap is comprised of potassium stearate, potassium tallowate, potassium cocoate, water, glycerine, potassium ricenolate, shea butter and lanolin. (I believe this is the older formula)

It is a thirsty soap. I was looking up get optimal slickness, and I continued to add water during the face lathering process. It produced a very thick and nicely slick soap, more than enough for 3 passes. (The photo of the brush with lather is after two passes). It’s not the best I’ve used, but it is a very nice soap.

The post shave is very good, but left my skin a little dry — on not a particularly dry day

The scent is great. It’s a combination of sandalwood, spicy nutmeg, tree moss, lemon citrus and exotic patchouli oil. It smells like a sophisticated cologne. Smells trength is about 5/10 when you lather. You can smell it, but it’s not overwhelming and you can easily use
A cologne afterword.

I LOVE the scent of Duc de Santal - wonderful spicy earthiness blended in with the Sandalwood scent. I have both the soap and matching splash.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I've got the Nautilus in tallow. The scent smells like salty wet clay. Not a fan of that. The performance is good though.

Yeah I have he new triple milled version as well and love the scent. I'd buy a cologne of the stuff if they made it. I was a little bummed out though, I seen triple milled and was thinking it would be a hard soap that would last ages. Wrong, very similar consistency of most artisan soaps.

Yeah I have he new triple milled version as well and love the scent. I'd buy a cologne of the stuff if they made it. I was a little bummed out though, I seen triple milled and was thinking it would be a hard soap that would last ages. Wrong, very similar consistency of most artisan soaps.
Yep, I too would have thought it to be a little harder than what it is. By the way, they do make a cologne in Duc de Santal! But the sizes are very small if I remember correctly.

I have never used this soap but I really like the label art of the older version. I would love to see things like this in the glaze on the lid of a ceramic bowl like MWF comes in.

I have never used this soap but I really like the label art of the older version. I would love to see things like this in the glaze on the lid of a ceramic bowl like MWF comes in.
I wholeheartedly agree with you on the label art. The original is fantastic.

After my initial impressions, I wanted to add I’m still fond of this soap. It gives me enough cushion and slickneess for three or more passes. It’s thirsty, but I’ve also noticed that if I load my brush heavily, it’s easier to whip up a fantastic lather.

Here is an example
D4CA0A37-D2A9-4DDE-AE25-902C0368192F.jpeg

Indeed the "Triple Milled" formula is very soft for this type of soap. So much so that i thought it was mislabeled or something. Performance is much better than their original soap base. Scent of Duce Santal is a clean sophisticated men's Sandalwood cologne that smells very good but is not overpowering. Most of the HEV scents lean twards the clean/ lighter side.

I love this soap, and find it quite forgiving to lather. I’m sure I’m soap or water heavy sometimes and the results are always very good. Love the scent and use the AS as well. I’m in Ottawa, a stone’s throw from HeV in Gatineau, so it’s also nice to shop locally and support a small business. This is one that stays in my rotation of soaps.

Top Bottom