What's new

Henkels set

KeenDogg

Slays On Fleek - For Rizz
Found this Henkels today. I'm not sure if I should pick it up. The handle doesn't seen to fit the case and It has a stropper attachment that doesn't have a spot in the case. It does have a brush and a shave stick in it. It has 3 good blades too, which I know nothing of stripping or honing them. I also wondered if there was something missing. The handle has two different sizes of threads. The heads fit the smaller threads, but there is also larger threads underneath. It's a decent price, but it's probably priced accordingly if it's a mismatch. The head and handle do have some plate loss. What do you all think I should do?

Thanks Kindly,
Adam
proxy.php

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Tapatalk

Adam, this is a great shaving razor. Works best with a properly honed Henckels wedge blade, but can also use the standard Gem blade. Personally, if you are a collector, the mismatched and pieces missing stuff may be a deal breaker, but if you just want a good shave from a great razor, get it. You might even bargain with the guy saying that it's mismatched and pieces missing and want a lower price because you are a collector and is doing the guy a favor by taking this off his hand. ;-)

Or...pick it up a decent price and sell it to one of us!
gvw755 is right, this is a great razor with a GEM blade.

Found this Henkels today. I'm not sure if I should pick it up. The handle doesn't seen to fit the case and It has a stropper attachment that doesn't have a spot in the case. It does have a brush and a shave stick in it. It has 3 good blades too, which I know nothing of stripping or honing them. I also wondered if there was something missing. The handle has two different sizes of threads. The heads fit the smaller threads, but there is also larger threads underneath. It's a decent price, but it's probably priced accordingly if it's a mismatch. The head and handle do have some plate loss. What do you all think I should do?

Thanks Kindly,
Adam
proxy.php

I like the oddball stuff so I would probably buy it, but then again, I buy just about every thing. I bought this today. :blink:

2018-05-20 20.00.13.jpg

2018-05-20 20.00.28.jpg

KeenDogg

I've decided to pick it up. The wife will head out after she drops my daughter off at school, which is on the way. Fingers crossed it is still there.

Thank for all your help, guys.

KeenDogg

No you didnt!!!....wait....yes, yes you did.

That's cool! I wonder what they mean by "bonded" and I wonder if the coupon is till good.

Not sure if the coupon is still good but I already have the razor, I found it at an estate sale a while back for a quarter. I doubt if they would have let me use the coupon, they wouldn't even give me my $2.00 cash refund. :001_302:

2018-05-21 18.29.36.jpg

Here's what they mean by bonded.
2018-05-21 18.31.01.jpg

And here's why it gives you a better shave. I'm not sure what year this is but I think it was the beginning of the end. :001_unsur
2018-05-21 18.31.38.jpg

I've decided to pick it up. The wife will head out after she drops my daughter off at school, which is on the way. Fingers crossed it is still there.

Thank for all your help, guys.

YAY!!! Make sure we get pictures.

KeenDogg

Not sure if the coupon is still good but I already have the razor, I found it at an estate sale a while back for a quarter. I doubt if they would have let me use the coupon, they wouldn't even give me my $2.00 cash refund. :001_302:

View attachment 885126

Here's what they mean by bonded.
View attachment 885132

And here's why it gives you a better shave. I'm not sure what year this is but I think it was the beginning of the end. :001_unsur
View attachment 885136

So it's basically a cartridge......lol. shame on them for not giving you a refund. That one is in a nicer presentation than your new one, at least.

I'm researching the Rapide and the extras with it as she was able to get it! Pics tomorrow!

P.S. Love the instructions. Thanks for sharing!

KeenDogg

So yeah...Henckels, not HENKELS. You can see how green I am about them. As far as prestige, what would be the DE equivalent?

I decided to pick it up and see what all the fuss is about. I didn't know if it was the right pieces to it as stated. After a discussion with Les, I decided that it was worth a chance. I believe after getting it home, it is a complete set.

The razor is well loved but the case looks as though it's been in a drawer most of its life. The fabric inside the case bears the Henckels name but is blackened by what I think is razor patina which transferred from improper storage of the razor. The case is in great shape with just 1 corner split on the lid.

The set comes with a boar brush and holder as well as a shave stick and holder. I believe these to be chrome, not silver like the razor. The shave stick has not been used. It smells like it would have been an awesome scent years ago. It was made by F.Wolffe and Sohns. The cap of the holder bears their logo.

The case also contains a strop and a stropping head, quite similar to the Valet. The head of the Rapide and the stropper. head are interchangeable from what I can tell. The strop is a nice quality leather and bears the Henckels name.

It also includes 3 blades. One has a tiny, tiny chip and another may not have been honed, an observation Les made after I sent him some pics. All blades bear the Henckels name and place of manufacture.

I believe it to be a travel set. It is not as fancy as other Rapides I've looked up. I have also been unable to find one with a removable head. If someone has some pictures, I'd love to see them!

Anyone have any ideas on how I should go about seeing if these blades are shave ready??? I may go over to the Straights forum to see if anyone can help. I'd be willing to learn how if it's not too expensive to make them shave ready again.

The set cost the price of a steak dinner around these parts. I did good, I think. I gotta thank you guys and especially Les, for enabling me. It has to be one of the classiest things I own. I just dig the look of it!

I gave her a nice baking soda bath for I did not like the uneven patina that she had. I will let her age gracefully from here on out.

NOW, WHO WANTS PICTURES???
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php
proxy.php

KeenDogg

I think this may be how the razor sits. It's been puzzling me.
proxy.php

KeenDogg

Very very nice Adam! I would love to have a set like that. :clap:
Thanks, Mike. I'm elated. I fear it's gonna send me down another rabbit hole though!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Great find Adam, it came up a treat after a bath. I have never heard of them before. You did good.

KeenDogg

Great find Adam, it came up a treat after a bath. I have never heard of them before. You did good.
Thank you! Gonna give it a go with a Gem Blade tonight or tomorrow!

What did you mean "a treat after a bath"?

First time I have seen that handle with a removable head. Usually the Wotan handle is removable but yours is the Rapide style handle. All my Rapide handle Henckels have the handle and head riveted together. Definitely unusual.

Top Bottom