Henderson' Relish

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
The Brown Stuff needs its own thread!
15931134194668043379179738148340.jpg

Alacrity59

Wanting for wisdom
Nice thread. So what is everybody's favourite use of Henderson's Relish? I suspect a big one for me' which I've not yet tried, is Welsh Rarebit with Henderson's instead of Worcestershire.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
So far it's mostly "splash it on some meat" for me. Really nice on pork chops.

I've got my supply sorted so ... I'll get more creative.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I've never had this. What's it similar to? Worcestershire? Malt vinegar?

It's its own thing.

Kind of like Worcestershire sauce, but better. It's very uncommon outside of the north of England, though.

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I've been trying it where I might use Worcestershire. I've been trying it where I might use soy sauce. I've been trying it where I might use hot sauce. I've just been messing around with it.

It's been a very nice addition to salad dressings (both vinaigrette and creamy), and it's been fun and tasty to splash it on about anything. It seems works better with chicken, turkey, and seafood than Worcestershire because of the subtlety (but only if you don't want everything Worcestershire gives you--see below). For the same reason, it's been easier to use as a condiment, and it's very difficult to overwhelm something with Hendo's.

The garlic is more pronounced than in Worcestershire, and it does not have any heat bite to it. It's a similar alternative to Worcestershire or even soy sauce, but it's not a substitute. It strokes your hair a little, where Worcestershire or soy sauce can punch you in the face. That makes it work better in some cases but not in others. It's wonderful if you are concerned about overwhelming your dish (which I've done more than once with Worcestershire, soy sauce, and other more potently flavored goodies). However, if you are looking for what Worcestershire or something more powerful gives you, you'll probably never be able to add enough.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
It's been a very nice addition to salad dressings (both vinaigrette and creamy), and it's been fun and tasty to splash it on about anything.

I came here with the intent of posting how, for the first time, I splashed it on my salad for dinner last night, and it was wonderful.

it's been easier to use as a condiment, and it's very difficult to overwhelm something with Hendo's.

I hadn't really thought of it along those lines, but it's a good observation.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
A few splashes in the stew tonight. Definitely a good touch.

It’s got its own thread. I take a swig from the bottle every now and then. I put it on eggs. I made some rice tonight and threw some in there.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Awful stuff (ignore what I said in the worstershire thread). Really awful. I mean it.

(hopefully you all believe it so I can order some more). :)

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
I've enjoyed putting a few dashes or so on top of a tin of sardines for just a little something extra. I wouldn't think of doing that with Worcestershire, as that's pretty much what the sardines would taste like after that.

When I sautée mushrooms, I usually finish them up with a little bit of Worcestershire that I then reduce down to something of a glaze. I made some a couple days ago to go with ribeyes, but I went with Hendo's to see how that went. I like how it turned out, but I prefer the Worcestershire version for steak both for the flavor and for the extra vinegar kick that Worcestershire has. It almost seemed like I forget to finish them off with the glaze. For other applications, though, the subtle effect of the Hendo's could be just what I'm looking for.

Doc4

Stumpy in cold weather
Staff member
I'm thinking of trying this with sushi instead of soy sauce.

Anyone else tried this before?

I wish I could have Hendos but I am allergic to saccharin. Growing up we had Yorkshire Relish. I might have to try Goodall's Yorkshire Relish from Ireland.

Top Bottom