What's new

Help!

musicman1951

three-tu-tu, three-tu-tu
Air bubbles are what you're doing wrong. Those big air bubbles have to go.

Lots of good advice here. You need way more product. You might need less water, but you won't know until you get a decent amount of product in the mix.

A badger brush requires no soaking - just wet it for a few seconds.

I always found it easier to be consistent with the correct amount of cream by putting a dollop into the bowl (back when I used cream). It really doesn't matter, so do what's comfortable.

You're going to need to experiment a bit. You might want to make a few test lathers - no shaving required. Get some cream in the bowl one way or the other and add water slowly. Eventually it will look good. You might even want to keep adding water so you are aware of what too much water looks like, although I suspect you already know that one.

After a little practice this will be a quick and easy part of your shave, but it will take a little practice. Be nice to yourself, it won't kill your shave to be a couple of degrees off perfect with your proportions.

And no more talk of giving up making lather - it just isn't that hard. Allow yourself just a bit of experimentation with water to product ratio and you'll be aces in no time.

Marco

B&B's Man in Italy
Always at your disposal, Andrew. :001_smile

Always at your disposal, Andrew. :001_smile

I want to try this now but i shaved already ...have to wait for tomorrow..:(

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
@TDIAndy,

Don't use very hot water, and certainly nothing approaching boiling water.

Here's a little exercise I developed to help guys figure out how to hydrate their lather to the extreme degree required, or to whatever degree works according to their lights. It's not exactly how one should go about lathering on a daily basis, but rather a learning exercise.

I've found that for me it's vastly easier to achieve a consistently great lather by face lathering, which you'll try out in this exercise should you decide to do it, but I don't care if you bowl lather or face lather. i do care that you understand what a good lather looks like on your face. A good lather is half the shave.

A good lather is not too bubbly, but it is a bit foamy, and very hydrated.

Hope this helps.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Consider that water will evaporate out of your lather faster the hotter it and your face are. I agree with others that too hot water is working against you here.

I have had issues in the past with lather drying out and not gliding well. My routine now is to prep by rinsing my face with cold water, washing with a glycerine soap, rinsing again with cold water, and then face lathering, using a brush that I soaked in warm water (as I like a bit of warmth after all that cold, and I think warm water lathers better). Works well for me.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
For the record, right before my daily face lathering, and right after soaking my brush while I shower, I run hot tap water on my soaked and shaken brush for a few seconds because I like a hot lather.

Brushes in my usual rotation are pretty high end. I certainly don't want to damage them. I also know for sure my tap water is not extremely hot. I'm not using very much hot tap water and not for a long time. Not enough to do damage.

I've arrived at this through experimentation.

My experimentation has included cold tap water, ice cold water, and all sorts of warm waters. Anything works for building lather but some temperatures work better for my skin, or perhaps simply feel better to me. As long as the brush and my skin are not damaged anything goes.

Water which is too hot will definitely damage a brush. Be careful with brushes and hot water and use hot tap water at your own risk, and then only after carefully assessing how hot your tap water is.

Cold water shaving is vastly under-appreciated and can be a lot of fun. Worth trying, too, it is.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Top Bottom