What's new

Help your fellow shooter

Ad Astra

The Instigator
🤔 Friday is Ladies Day at my local indoor range. Frequently I'm off on Fridays, so it's usually my day to shoot, too. 😇 Occasionally I see some interesting things... Like that one young lady I still call "Yoga Pants." 🤣 Anyways. Today I got to do some good for my fellow man - er, fellow shooters.

But first. Hmm, @OkieStubble ! Every thread needs a pic. Now. On to the story.

IMG_20220624_111031579_HDR.jpg

Threee ladies were set up and shooting when I got there. I brought the NAA Mini and a Kahr PM9, pocket carrys that need shooting. Truthfully, last time I shot the Kahr, the long DA pull was throwing me off. Finally got it back under good control today - the trick for me is an 80% pull, wait, squeeze. Very happy with groups. But back to the ladies...

I heard something like, "OMG, it jammed! Now what?" They asked for help.

It was interesting to troubleshoot. Two S&W Shield EZs. One 9mm, one 380. One loaded and pointed my way through the partition. The other jammed with a very wiggly mag. Both loaded with 380 cartridges!! 😲

I am no RSO, but in short time the mag-less 9mm was put away and the 380 was being safely fired. And grounded chamber up downrange. It only took a few moments, and they got it. Sweet ladies.

🤔 Apparently 380 can fire in a 9mm. Sometimes. I saw one unfired with a light strike. Didn't look for expanded brass.

When I left, the range owner was thoroughly explaining 9mm vs 380. They thanked me.

It only takes a minute to help someone in this world. And nobody deserves help more than your fellow shooter.

AA

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Even an RO, at the last public Open House at my club I went to, in 2008, needed help. He was teaching a female shooter how to shoot my Savage 110 single shot .22-250. She bought a full box of 20 rounds so he had plenty of time, shame he didnt take his time and talk more between shots.

Eventually I got called to the line because of a 'jam'. How do you jam a single shot bolt action rifle? Damn good question and I had to find out for myself. Apparently, a very good way is to sit in full 100F+ sun, load and shoot it as fast as you can until the chamber gets so hot the round goes off as soon as its chambered and blows the primer out so it lodges between the bolt and the stock. The barrel was so hot I burned my hand when I checked it.

Class started right then and there. Calmly with the shooter, less calmly with the 'RO' after she walked away. The shooter, completely new to any firearms, understood what happened and why perfectly and will retain that lesson.

The ragged rips are from the NAA. 😜 Think that's the 1.125 barrel, shocked it shoots straight.

The bullets might be tumbling from not getting enough spin from that short barrel. It needs boat tails haha.

I find it easier to be patient with people who don't claim to know everything about shooting and are willing to learn a thing or two. I am also thankful for the highly experienced shooters at my gun range that take the time to advise me on various points, such as various ammunition to try in the 9mm. One error I would quickly correct is flagging someone with the barrel, but I have yet to see it happen at the club.

Ad Astra

The Instigator
Even an RO, at the last public Open House at my club I went to, in 2008, needed help. He was teaching a female shooter how to shoot my Savage 110 single shot .22-250. She bought a full box of 20 rounds so he had plenty of time, shame he didnt take his time and talk more between shots.

Eventually I got called to the line because of a 'jam'. How do you jam a single shot bolt action rifle? Damn good question and I had to find out for myself. Apparently, a very good way is to sit in full 100F+ sun, load and shoot it as fast as you can until the chamber gets so hot the round goes off as soon as its chambered and blows the primer out so it lodges between the bolt and the stock. The barrel was so hot I burned my hand when I checked it.

Class started right then and there. Calmly with the shooter, less calmly with the 'RO' after she walked away. The shooter, completely new to any firearms, understood what happened and why perfectly and will retain that lesson.

The bullets might be tumbling from not getting enough spin from that short barrel. It needs boat tails haha.
That gives me the idea to try those Aguila 22s with the giant 60gr slug. If they're gonna tumble, send an even longer round! 😉 Truthfully I carry with the magnum cylinder and TNTs. Was shooting 22lr shorts today.

AA

Ad Astra

The Instigator
I find it easier to be patient with people who don't claim to know everything about shooting and are willing to learn a thing or two. I am also thankful for the highly experienced shooters at my gun range that take the time to advise me on various points, such as various ammunition to try in the 9mm. One error I would quickly correct is flagging someone with the barrel, but I have yet to see it happen at the club.
You said it! And I in turn have learned a lot from fellow shooters, generous with their time and knowledge. All for the sport... Something the antigunners will never get.

AA

FarmerTan

"Self appointed king of Arkoland"
I learned long long ago that ladies actually listen to what is said and retain it. Then they actually apply what is now knowledge and proceed to produce targets that simply embarrass mine.

Consistently.

Annoyingly consistently.
THIS. Exactly.

Women, or XX-Chromosone people, are just better at learning shooting. Usually smarter. Always easier to teach, because they retain.

Not slamming my sex. Just my opinion from teaching them how to shoot, and werkin' with them professionally almost exclusively my entire adult life.

And usually meaner than a junkyard dog when it's needed. They THINK before they act/react.

jar_

Too Fugly For Free.
THIS. Exactly.

Women, or XX-Chromosone people, are just better at learning shooting. Usually smarter. Always easier to teach, because they retain.

Not slamming my sex. Just my opinion from teaching them how to shoot, and werkin' with them professionally almost exclusively my entire adult life.

And usually meaner than a junkyard dog when it's needed. They THINK before they act/react.
The Female of the species is more deadly than the Male.

Top Bottom